We're gonna need to move David Jones' salary

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Those who said the Avs were going to forever be a salary floor team or had an internal budget, I don't think it can be said anymore.(this is a good thing)

Those people didn't understand situation Avalanche was in. Avalanche is still in semi-rebuild stage.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
1 pt in his first 9 games
6 pts in his last 8 games
Let`s see what he does the rest of the season before talking contract buyout.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Even though Jones is under-performing right now, we're still 2 years away from having to even worry about the salary cap at all, and by then it might be even higher.

I say we let Jones keep playing. He's played better as of late, so if he turns out another 20-goal equivalent season, I think we're alright.

HOWEVER

We also need to realize that Jones is 28. He's not a part of the zone that our core is in (20-25 years old)

I'll just say, I don't think he'll play the entirety of that 4 year contract on the Avalanche, perhaps he'll be moved in the last 2 years.

Holyhell

'Crumblers'
Apr 12, 2007
We wouldn't have to move it if he wasn't a 3rd liner player at best and didn't get a stupid contract for relatively little reason. Get rid of him in any way. His puck control is suspect at best and his decision making is severely lacking.

It was absolutely ridiculous to see that O'Reilly had to hold out for 2 months to get what he wanted while Jones got far more than he was worth for much longer than Colorado should give him, nearly right off the bat.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Even though Jones is under-performing right now, we're still 2 years away from having to even worry about the salary cap at all, and by then it might be even higher.

I say we let Jones keep playing. He's played better as of late, so if he turns out another 20-goal equivalent season, I think we're alright.

HOWEVER

We also need to realize that Jones is 28. He's not a part of the zone that our core is in (20-25 years old)

I'll just say, I don't think he'll play the entirety of that 4 year contract on the Avalanche, perhaps he'll be moved in the last 2 years.

Or this Summer. The retaining % of salary does make trading a much more possible option now. Also trading him to a team making a run who need a wing for an expiring contract + pick is possible too.
Keep him with Lando and Stazz and he will put up silly numbers the rest of this year until the deadline and he'll be highly sought after. :nod:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
People always forget what sober Jones looks like when he's off the wagon. Give him a week with Landy and Staz once he heats up and people will change their tune on him drastically. Jones is a streaky secondary scorer, who can battle along the boards, has a good shot, and when fully healthy still has good burst, he's overpaid by maybe 500K and has been cold this year, that doesn't mean he's become an AHLer or bottom 6er.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Jamie McGinn ($1.750m) / Matt Duchene ($3.500m) / P-A Parenteau ($4.000m)
David Jones ($4.000m) / Paul Stastny ($6.600m) / Nathan Horton ($5.000m)
Gabriel Landeskog ($3.575m) / Ryan O'Reilly ($5.000m) / Steve Downie ($2.650m)
Cody McLeod ($1.150m) / John Mitchell ($1.100m) / Chuck Kobasew ($1.150m)
Mark Olver ($0.600m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Mark Streit ($4.100m) / Erik Johnson ($3.750m)
Ladislav Smid ($3.500m) / Ryan Wilson ($2.250m)
Jan Hejda ($3.250m) / Tyson Barrie ($0.900m)
Shane O'Brien ($2.000m) /
GOALTENDERS
Semyon Varlamov ($2.833m)
Jean-Sebastien Giguere ($1.500m)
------
2013-2014

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,464,317; BONUSES: $2,710,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $5,545,667
------
CALCULATOR LOG
* Chuck Kobasew signed as free agent for $1,150,000.
* Traded Matt Hunwick
* Traded Ryan O'Byrne
* Greg Zanon bought out.
* Mark Streit signed as free agent for $4,100,000.
* Ladislav Smid signed as free agent for $3,500,000.
* Nathan Horton signed as free agent for $5,000,000.

This could be our roster next season, if we were to fill out our missing pieces via free-agency. Everyone is locked in for at least another year. Plenty of cap space really...

2014-2015 (w/Raises and extensions kicking in)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,364,317

Duchene - 2M raise (5.5M), Landeskog - 2M raise (5.525M), McGinn - 2M raise (4M), Varly -2M raise (4.833M), Downie - 1M raise (3.65M)

O'Reilly extended for 5yrs 25M (5M), Stastny extended for 5 years 27.5M (5.5M)

9M in raises and 1.1M pay cut from Stastny, means we need 7.9M to dish out. That's 69M in payroll having both Jones & O'Brien as players that are just good enough we could dump their salary if need be pretty quickly if the cap didn't go up to 70M

The cap was going to go up to 70M from last season by itself, I have no doubt it will again with the way pretty much nothing has changed in how popular the NHL is due to the lockout.

But even if it didn't go up enough in 2014 we have 6M in payroll we can dump without feeling it to much. We will still have Sgarbossa in the minors and Elliott & Siemens in the minors as well.

Drop Jones & O'Brien, and add Sgarbossa in Jones's place. We are back down to 63.9M even after giving everyone raises and adding 12.6M in free-agent contracts.

So no I don't think we have to move Jones unless we can find a free-agent or a rookie to fill his role within the next two years. There is plenty of room to keep all three of our centers as well.

As long as O'Reilly earns it 5M AAV is manageable, yeah if Stastny and O'Reilly's contract demands are out of control then it's a whole new ball game. But if everything is within reason, we can keep our centers and even add to our roster.

We have something like 7M plus tied up in four 6/7th defenders right now. Hunwick, O'Brien, O'Byrne, Zannon... Drop three of them and sign a couple top 4 defenders like I've shown. Those are the guys I like personally but their salaries give a good example of what we can afford to do.

We will probably need to get rid of Jones eventually, but we may not have to for a couple years. This team simply cannot be a cap-floor team going forward, and they have proven they will spend if they feel the player is worth it now.

Last edited:

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Don't want that neanderthal Horton anywhere near this team, especially since his brain is probably turned into mush from all those head injuries.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Don't want that neanderthal Horton anywhere near this team, especially since his brain is probably turned into mush from all those head injuries.

It's just an example that we could add another top 6 winger, and fill out our top 3 lines so that we can actually roll three dominant lines. Our fourth line wouldn't get much ice time with all three of our top lines seeing 18-21 minutes of ice-time. I personally like Horton, but I get why some people don't.

I wouldn't get to hung up on which line is #1 #2 and #3 either, how they are used will be more in-game situational than any two lines really being our #1 & #2.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
If the Avalanche were to buyout David Jones in the summer, the club would carry a cap hit of 1.33 million until the end of the decade.

Translation: not gunna' happen.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
If the Avalanche were to buyout David Jones in the summer, the club would carry a cap hit of 1.33 million until the end of the decade.

Yep. Not to mention GM would get fired for signing UFA to 4 year contract and then dumb it the next year. Horrible management. We are not the rangers. Jones is here to stay, at least another 2 years.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
personally i think the need is more production and not need to move the salary. we're far away from having to worry about the contract from a cap standpoint. we just need him to validate it by scoring 25-30 goals a season(really 30+ since he's not a assist guy)

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

You can have compliance buyouts this summer without the cap hit going forward.

Not that it matters. Avs will never in a million years pay $8M to David Jones to buy him out. It would be the last thing Sherman would do as a GM.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
You can have compliance buyouts this summer without the cap hit going forward.

Not that it matters. Avs will never in a million years pay $8M to David Jones to buy him out. It would be the last thing Sherman would do as a GM.

Jones has enough value that if we really needed to move him someone would trade for him.

I will say on that line with Stastny & Landeskog, Jones is a complimentary winger. Jones has had to be the main winger on that line recently which HE CANNOT BE. I think if that line stays together he will be fine going forward for now.

We'll see...

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
O'Reilly and/or Stastny will be gone by the end of next season. The Avs won't be up against the cap for a long time yet.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
O'Reilly and/or Stastny will be gone by the end of next season. The Avs won't be up against the cap for a long time yet.

If they are able to rebuild the bridges with O'reilly , i'm guessing that they will trade Stastny , b4 he hits the UFA market .

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
If they are able to rebuild the bridges with O'reilly , i'm guessing that they will trade Stastny , b4 he hits the UFA market .

Think they'd re-sign Staz to an extension first? He'd probably be worth more signed. Unless a playoff team just wants him as a rental.

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
I highly doubt Stastny will take a pay cut. He can get as much as he does now from a team in the off season next year. With the huge Oreilly signing we gotta move Paul for a top 2 D-man (prob includes a top prospect also) or high scoring winger.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Stastny extending depends on how much he wants to stay in Denver. It also depends on what role he has with the team going into next season - if he's going to be playing for Sacco, and behind Dutchy/O'reilly with the Porters, Yips, and Galiardi's of the world then I imagine he won't be interested. But if we put him in a position to succeed for the rest of this season and (god willing) replace Sacco perhaps he'll extend at a lower cost.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I highly doubt Stastny will take a pay cut. He can get as much as he does now from a team in the off season next year. With the huge Oreilly signing we gotta move Paul for a top 2 D-man (prob includes a top prospect also) or high scoring winger.

He has 1 year left on his deal and is overpaid by at least 1 million, probably more. What team would give us a top 2 dman for him? By all accounts we couldn't get one for O'reilly.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
He has 1 year left on his deal and is overpaid by at least 1 million, probably more. What team would give us a top 2 dman for him? By all accounts we couldn't get one for O'reilly.

In the last year of his contract Stastny would be valuable since his cap impact would only be very short-term. His overpayment wouldn't be an issue. He would be especially valuable if he plays well next year.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
In the last year of his contract Stastny would be valuable since his cap impact would only be very short-term. He would be especially valuable if he plays well next year.

He will. He's been saving it up for 5 years now.

EDIT: Just in case Staz is reading this, I'm kidding, bro, just kidding!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad