We're gonna need to move David Jones' salary

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
officespace.gif

....yeah....so, we're gonna have to move someone.... Not this season, maybe not next one but having Jones @ 4 M is not gonna work now that we have money tied up in RFA's and pending RFA's in 2014 (Varly/Landeskog/McGinn/Duchene/Elliott/Barrie) + a probable attempt to re-sign Stasny. Of course many of you will say that we'll have Hunwick or whomever coming off the books but that salary will go to replacing those players in the line-up.

So with the cap not going up, David Jones' $4 M is gonna be tough. I'd say best time to trade him is this season if he goes on a bit of a hot streak at any point and let's hope that that's now based on last night's game. Before the trade deadline, you have to believe that he'd nab at least a good dman prospect if not a #3-4 dman (prospect would be better due to us not wanting back cap space). I don't see his value increasing much and I don't wanna have another poorly managed asset which we have to buy out because he has less trade value in the future and we're up against the cap.

Last edited:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Not this season, maybe not next one but having Jones @ 4 M is not gonna work now that we have money tied up in RFA's and pending RFA's in 2014 (Varly/Landeskog/McGinn/Duchene/Elliott/Barrie) + a probable attempt to re-sign Stasny. Of course many of you will say that we'll have Hunwick or whomever coming off the books but that salary will go to replacing those players in the line-up.

So with the cap not going up, David Jones' $4 M is gonna be tough. I'd say best time to trade him is this season if he goes on a bit of a hot streak at any point and let's hope that that's now based on last night's game. Before the trade deadline, you have to believe that he'd nab at least a good dman prospect if not a #3-4 dman (prospect would be better due to us not wanting back cap space). I don't see his value increasing much and I don't wanna have another poorly managed asset which we have to buy out because he has less trade value in the future and we're up against the cap.

I simply don't think the AVs could trade him if they wanted to. He's not yet living up to the contract and if/when he does, they'd want to keep him because they need scoring wingers. I think the chances of Jones being bought out far exceed him being traded at any point other than as a deadline deal at the expiration of his current contract.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
I simply don't think the AVs could trade him if they wanted to. He's not yet living up to the contract and if/when he does, they'd want to keep him because they need scoring wingers. I think the chances of Jones being bought out far exceed him being traded at any point other than as a deadline deal at the expiration of his current contract.

If he scores at 20 goal pace he certainly has trade value. Maybe not a 1st round pick, but certainly a 3rd or a mid-level prospect.
Although I agree. I think they try to trade him at 2014 DL/draft/off-season. If that doesn't work, they might have to amnesty him.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It is really quite simple... Stastny or ROR needs to take a pay cut from the mid 6's or one is gone. Whoever that is gets replaced with Sgarbossa or a center we draft this year in the 1st. Trading off Jones would help ease with the cap, but the center situation is really more of the issue with the cap.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
If he scores at 20 goal pace he certainly has trade value. Maybe not a 1st round pick, but certainly a 3rd or a mid-level prospect.
Although I agree. I think they try to trade him at 2014 DL/draft/off-season. If that doesn't work, they might have to amnesty him.

They can't amnesty him after this summer, can they?

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Free up $2 Mish by moving David Jones (assuming what's coming back is around $2 M as well) or move Stastny or ROR.

I'd say moving ROR/Stastny is the needed move but would take more guts and I just expect Jones to be the guy that gets moved instead.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Free up $2 Mish by moving David Jones (assuming what's coming back is around $2 M as well) or move Stastny or ROR.

I'd say moving ROR/Stastny is the needed move but would take more guts and I just expect Jones to be the guy that gets moved instead.

Moving ROR or Stastny can actually get an asset in return that is needed to round out the team. Say a top 4 LD that keeps us from overpaying on the free agent market. At this point Jones doesn't do anything more than bring in a pick that is years away from helping assuming they don't bust.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
One thing I feel strongly needs to be noted, were no longer talking about the struggle to reach the cap floor, were now talking about the struggle to stay below the cap.

Those who said the Avs were going to forever be a salary floor team or had an internal budget, I don't think it can be said anymore.(this is a good thing)

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think in the last years of Jones contract a $4M cap hit won't be that big of a deal. He's always is going to be overpaid, but we knew that the second the contract was signed. That's the reason there isn't much reason to trade him. A 25g 15A guy might be worth more than a 2nd round pick or whatever you will get in a trade.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
One thing I feel strongly needs to be noted, were no longer talking about the struggle to reach the cap floor, were now talking about the struggle to stay below the cap.

Those who said the Avs were going to forever be a salary floor team or had an internal budget, I don't think it can be said anymore.(this is a good thing)

Nope instead we're one of those teams that needs to keep from hitting our heads on the cap ceiling and still don't have the talent needed to get into the playoffs.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
The guy signed a 4 year contract days before becoming an unrestricted free agent for the first time in his career. Let's not be ruthless.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Never been a fan of David Jones and this season is making it even worse, he has gotten so much slower over the last few seasons with the injuries he sustained, I just don't see how we can pay 2/3 of our 3rd line 10.6 million in Stastny and Jones.

Moving forward, a top 6 that includes Duchene, Landeskog, O'Reilly, Parenteau, McGinn, and a free agent signing would be very nice. Slot Downie in on the 3rd line with Johnny Malkin and another free agent signing on the left wing or give that 3rd line LW spot to Cody McLeod who I feel has earned that spot.

I'd like to see David Jones bought out in the summer, Stastny moved for some defensive help at the draft along with one of O'Brien/Zanon/Hunwick. Re-up O'Byrne, as much as he's sucked this season I don't mind him as a 3rd pairing guy, he seems to play well with Hejda. So a top 4 of Johnson, Wilson, Barrie, and player acquired for Stastny wouldnt' be bad would it?

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
I knew this contract was a disaster right from the start. I don't think other teams are interested in a 4M$ guy like Jones, who is totally useless on the ice and holding back his line. If we can get rid of him, I say let's go.

I hate this player... But yeah, we still need wingers anyway... So I'm not sure it would be all that good to move him.

Ahhh.. I don't know...

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I knew this contract was a disaster right from the start. I don't think other teams are interested in a 4M$ guy like Jones, who is totally useless on the ice and holding back his line. If we can get rid of him, I say let's go.

I hate this player... But yeah, we still need wingers anyway... So I'm not sure it would be all that good to move him.

Ahhh.. I don't know...

If we can find a suitor for him before the deadline, why not just give Palushaj his minutes

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
For 2014:
fwds
O'Reilly - 6.5 M + Stastny - 5 M + Parenteau - 4 M + Landeskog - 6 M + Duchene - 6 M + Downie or other FA - 3 M + McGinn - 3 M (maybe less) + McLeod - 1.15 M + Jones - 4 M = 38.6 M for 8 fwds

Dmen
Johnson 3.75 M + Hejda 3.25 M + Wilson 2.25 M + one of Elliott/Barrie or other dman 3 M = 12.25 M for 4 dmen

Goalies
Varlamov - 4 to 5 M at most imo + 1 M for a backup = 6 Mish

So that all adds up to 56.85 M WITH Jones and excluding Shane O'Brien for a total of 15 players. Assuming we'd have 7 more on the roster for an avg of 1 M each then that's a total cap of 63 M. The cap for 2013-14 will be 64 M. For 2014, I doubt it goes above 68 M. So we'd be below using the numbers I gave above (which I think are conservative, maybe both Barrie/Elliot or another dman is earning 3 M and Stastny if he's re-signed is gonna be probably more than 5 M. I think a rebuilding club needs some flexibility there and if the cap is even 68 M in 2015 then we'd still be too high for mgmt's liking I'd guess.

The more $ we have committed to these players, the less we'll have to sign another FA and though I don't expect to sign a star, we'd need probably a dman or someone similar to the Parenteau signing at forward. So I don't see a way in which all 3 of Stastny/ROR/Jones can be kept without hindering a different position or limiting FA purchase power. I wouldn't be surprised if Duchene/Landeskog both took discounts in terms of their cap hits and also got longer term deals though so maybe they won't take 6 M but it wouldn't be below 5.25 M based on how they're currently playing and progressing.

Mant*

It is really quite simple... Stastny or ROR needs to take a pay cut from the mid 6's or one is gone. Whoever that is gets replaced with Sgarbossa or a center we draft this year in the 1st. Trading off Jones would help ease with the cap, but the center situation is really more of the issue with the cap.

haha! Comrad O'Reilski taking a pay cut...

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
i think Jones is a prime candidate for testing out the new salary retention provisions of the CBA. eating 500-750k could make him an attractive commodity at the deadline.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
For 2014:
fwds
O'Reilly - 6.5 M + Stastny - 5 M + Parenteau - 4 M + Landeskog - 6 M + Duchene - 6 M + Downie or other FA - 3 M + McGinn - 3 M (maybe less) + McLeod - 1.15 M + Jones - 4 M = 38.6 M for 8 fwds

Dmen
Johnson 3.75 M + Hejda 3.25 M + Wilson 2.25 M + one of Elliott/Barrie or other dman 3 M = 12.25 M for 4 dmen

Goalies
Varlamov - 4 to 5 M at most imo + 1 M for a backup = 6 Mish

So that all adds up to 56.85 M WITH Jones and excluding Shane O'Brien for a total of 15 players. Assuming we'd have 7 more on the roster for an avg of 1 M each then that's a total cap of 63 M. The cap for 2013-14 will be 64 M. For 2014, I doubt it goes above 68 M. So we'd be below using the numbers I gave above (which I think are conservative, maybe both Barrie/Elliot or another dman is earning 3 M and Stastny if he's re-signed is gonna be probably more than 5 M. I think a rebuilding club needs some flexibility there and if the cap is even 68 M in 2015 then we'd still be too high for mgmt's liking I'd guess.

The more $ we have committed to these players, the less we'll have to sign another FA and though I don't expect to sign a star, we'd need probably a dman or someone similar to the Parenteau signing at forward. So I don't see a way in which all 3 of Stastny/ROR/Jones can be kept without hindering a different position or limiting FA purchase power. I wouldn't be surprised if Duchene/Landeskog both took discounts in terms of their cap hits and also got longer term deals though so maybe they won't take 6 M but it wouldn't be below 5.25 M based on how they're currently playing and progressing.

What makes you think that? The NHL suffered absolutely ZERO ill-effects due to the lockout and the league has been/had been growing at 5% per year. It will go down to 64.3M or whatever for next year because that's how it's set but I expect it to return to 70M+ the year after quite easily.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
How about we burn this bridge when we cross it? If the ROR holdout worked, we'll be able to keep Landy, Barrie and Elliot's bridge deals very reasonable and get Dutchy, Varly and ginner looked on solid long term deals. Unless we suddenly become a prime FA destination, we may not need to do anything with Jones salary until the last year of his deal.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
How about we burn this bridge when we cross it? If the ROR holdout worked, we'll be able to keep Landy, Barrie and Elliot's bridge deals very reasonable and get Dutchy, Varly and ginner looked on solid long term deals. Unless we suddenly become a prime FA destination, we may not need to do anything with Jones salary until the last year of his deal.

I don't think Lando gets a bridge deal.
This might be one player they have no doubts with. I could easily see a 6-7 year extension for around 5-6mil per.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad