We're gonna need to move David Jones' salary

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
He will. He's been saving it up for 5 years now.

EDIT: Just in case Staz is reading this, I'm kidding, bro, just kidding!

Oh man. If Stastny reads these boards he must have me on his personal enemies list. :help:

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
In the last year of his contract Stastny would be valuable since his cap impact would only be very short-term. His overpayment wouldn't be an issue. He would be especially valuable if he plays well next year.

The best rentals of recent years (Hossa, Kovalchuk) have gotten very little of value in return.

Stastny won't get that much if he's not under contract.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
The best rentals of recent years (Hossa, Kovalchuk) have gotten very little of value in return.

Stastny won't get that much if he's not under contract.

Hossa and Dupuis fetched Colby Armstrong, Erik Christensen, Angelo Esposito, and the Penguins' first-round pick in 2008. Atlanta received Johnny Oduya, Niclas Bergfors, Patrice Cormier, and a first round pick in 2010 in exchange for Kovalchuk and defenceman Anssi Salmela (who?). Those are hefty amounts...way more than Stastny would come close to fetching.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Hossa and Dupuis fetched Colby Armstrong, Erik Christensen, Angelo Esposito, and the Penguins' first-round pick in 2008. Atlanta received Johnny Oduya, Niclas Bergfors, Patrice Cormier, and a first round pick in 2010 in exchange for Kovalchuk and defenceman Anssi Salmela (who?). Those are hefty amounts...way more than Stastny would come close to fetching.

Those are ultimately packages of spare parts. I would much rather try to trade Staz for a soon to expire contract on D (like the Hannan for Flash trade but on a larger scale). Other than the 1sts, I wouldn't want any part of those packages.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
I do not think it is anything worth worrying about now unless the Avs are serious about buying him out, and that's only because of the amnesty buyout chance.

The salary cap is almost certain to continue to grow. The Avs have several middle sized contracts coming off the books over the next few years in Hejduk, Hejda, O'Brien, Zanon, and Wilson if needed. Worst case, it is not THAT hard to trade an overpaid one tool player...and it is even easier when you can eat some of the salary.

It is so hard to predict what will happen over the next few years. Winning would go a long ways towards solving some of the issues. Winning makes people happy...and happy people are more likely to be willing to take contracts that can help keep the team together.

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
I would be ok with Jones for Ballard, Martin type trade, it obviously wouldn't happen now, as Jones' value is low, and those two have raised their stock this year. I'd obviously be willing to add for the right guy.

PierresLongStick*

Jones will be hard to move. Still can't believe we payed 16 million to keep this guy. Injuries have/are slowing him down tremendously and unless he's putting up some points, he serves no value. And he's not putting up points.. :shakehead

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I'm okay with trading jones for a bag of pucks. He's a $2.5m guy with a $4m cap hit. I didn't like that contract when it was signed and I don't like it now.

I don't see any value in it though. Maybe a team like the blues (playoff team with tons of cap space) would be willing to give up a third rounder thinking he'd add some scoring depth? I really don't see it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad