Blue Jays Discussion: We're back, baby. Blue Jays clinch 2020 playoff spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Fair, although I picked Robertson and Marchessault because they're both similar player types, and Marchessault is coming off a down season just like Stripling is despite a history of production beforehand.

That's fair. I picked Faksa because he's more of a middle of the roster type of player, and Abramov because he's far away and the definition of boom/bust. Also edited in Abruzzese as another possibility afterwards.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Stripling has never been a full time starter and looks to be proving he can't really be a innings eater so Williams alone is too much to give up from my perspective but at least it wasn't SWR or Manoah. Conine was also our only decent OF prospect save if they move Martin out there but didn't have huge faith in Conine becoming more than a Tellez in the OF so I'm ok with it

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
That's fair. I picked Faksa because he's more of a middle of the roster type of player, and Abramov because he's far away and the definition of boom/bust. Also edited in Abruzzese as another possibility afterwards.

Fair as well.

I think we kinda agree that the point is that a team poised to really contend (think what you will of the Leafs but they are actually supposed to be in this position) shouldn't really fret about giving up a B+ prospect for a good bonafide major league producer with some years of control left.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Is it bad that I don't even know who that is?

Top 38 Prospects: Toronto Blue Jays

17. Alberto Rodriguez, OF
Signed: July 2nd Period, 2017 from Dominican Republic (TOR)
Age19.4Height5′ 11″Weight180Bat / ThrL / LFV40
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Tool Grades (Present/Future)
HitRaw PowerGame PowerRunFieldingThrow
25/5545/5025/5045/4040/4550/50
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
A physical, lefty corner bat with some thump, Rodriguez generated average big league exit velos as a teenager in the GCL last year. Some of his swings are beautiful, left-handed uppercut hacks. He’s not all that projectable and will have to have a potent hit/power combo to profile. That appears to be in play.

Similar type prospect for me when comparing him to Robertson who we thought was the prospect. Some places like him, others like Robertson more.

Not the end of the world. Robertson has a higher floor but Rodriquez a higher ceiling.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Fair, although I picked Robertson and Marchessault because they're both similar player types, and Marchessault is coming off a down season just like Stripling is despite a history of production beforehand.

I would say it is more like Abruzzese for Marchessault. Robertson is already practically in the NHL and probably closer to a guy like Pearson in terms of future impact. Williams is high potential but also far from a guarantee and multiple years away like Abruzzese would be in the NHL.

I think as long as the second guy is nothing special, it is fine. The Jays seem to have done quite well with their pitching investment, including adding another 2nd rounder this past year, so if the guy is worth the asset, then it should not be a huge concern.

Reactions: kb

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Seems like something that can/will be revisited in the offseason

That's interesting - it's like we've specifically targeted pitchers with solid records who have been struggling this year. Wonder if they can turn it around in a short season, but keeps the deals low risk.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I would say it is more like Abruzzese for Marchessault. Robertson is already practically in the NHL and probably closer to a guy like Pearson in terms of future impact. Williams is high potential but also far from a guarantee and multiple years away like Abruzzese would be in the NHL.

I think as long as the second guy is nothing special, it is fine. The Jays seem to have done quite well with their pitching investment, including adding another 2nd rounder this past year, so if the guy is worth the asset, then it should not be a huge concern.
I don't think the Leafs have a Pearson-type prospect/player. He's essentially someone like Alex Lafreniere.

I have no issues with the trade as long as the 2nd guy isn't a top prospect. It's the type of trade the Jays should be making and the Leafs would be making if they had cap space like the Jays do (kinda).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad