Blue Jays Discussion: We're back, baby. Blue Jays clinch 2020 playoff spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I was trying to count Jays pitchers before falling asleep last night.

I almost got to 2 full pitching staffs (with everyone healthy)

2 X 5 starters and 2 X 7 relievers.

I fell one short on the relievers...still 23 pitchers they could almost field a team with no position players ...LOL.

Reactions: BorntoLose

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
100 bucks Villar batting lead off, Biggio 2nd.

I think it's extremely likely, but Villar fits the classic #2 role as well. I hate it because I'm almost positive he's going to get regular reps at the top of the lineup when he fits nicely in the bottom third with this team. Ugh.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
MS wondered which starter would be sent to the bullpen and, based on history, it would be Stripling. He’s worked as a swing man his entire career. He has a few more years of control and they’d be able to slowly work on his issues. There’s no investment in Ray other than hoping a change of scenery and some additional instruction will right him.

xxOCZMSxx

Jan 20, 2015
Atkins made a lot of solid moves over the past few days, but he screwed up the simplest move...dfa Panik.
Seriously...how did he survive the cuts? I get that he’s good in the room, but come on. With Giles and Bo coming back soon, there’s still hope I guess.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Atkins made a lot of solid moves over the past few days, but he screwed up the simplest move...dfa Panik.
Seriously...how did he survive the cuts? I get that he’s good in the room, but come on. With Giles and Bo coming back soon, there’s still hope I guess.

Giles and Bo are both on the 40 man already so they only need to open up 25 man spots. That will likely happen by optioning guys like Espinal and Waguespack so they can keep everyone. So don't get your hopes up.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
MLB Power Rankings: Some contenders helped themselves at the trade deadline; some didn't

Blue Jays - They needed to shore up the rotation and they went fishing in doing so. It's possible that Taijuan Walker, Robbie Ray and Ross Stripling are all busts, but it's also possible they get the best versions of the three. If the latter is the case, that's a strong rotation with such an exciting position-playing core. They'll likely end up a lower seed in the playoffs, but a Hyun-Jin Ryu, Ross Stripling, Robbie Ray rotation -- again, assuming the good versions of those guys -- with that offense would put a scare into a titan in a three-game series.

BLUE JAYSThey've won 11 of their last 15 and have done so without their best offensive player. Keep your eyes on this bunch.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

MLB trade deadline winners and losers: Padres go big; Yankees, Astros, Braves disappoint

Winner: The Blue Jays

No, their moves were not nearly as flashy as San Diego, but the Blue Jays addressed weaknesses in the rotation with Taijuan Walker, Robbie Ray, and a late trade for Ross Stripling, and they brought in infield depth in Jonathan Villar. Villar's versatility means there will be ways to get him into the lineup even after Bo Bichette gets healthy, and Stripling is flexible enough to be a bullpen option. Ray has struggled all season, but there is upside there, and he's as capable of going on a month-long hot streak as any pitcher in the game. Toronto sits comfortably in the No. 8 spot in the expanded American League postseason field and these moves are as much about making a run in October as they are racking up wins in the regular season. Very nice deadline for the Blue Jays, if not subtle.

Reactions: Plat87

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-2020-trade-deadline-winners

5. Blue Jays
Acquired: LHP Robbie Ray, RHPs Taijuan Walker and Ross Stripling, 1B/DH Daniel Vogelbach, infielder Jonathan Villar
Bottom line: Villar is a nice addition since he can play shortstop until Bo Bichette returns, then is capable of moving around the infield. Walker has had an excellent turnaround season. If the Blue Jays can somehow get Ray on track, they’ll be thrilled about their day.

17 Deadline deals: Here's how they rank

6) Blue Jays acquire LHP Robbie Ray and cash from the D-backs for LHP Travis Bergen
A low-risk swap on the part of the Jays, who reportedly get a bit more than 20% of Ray’s remaining salary this year and fork over a 26-year-old relief prospect in exchange for Ray’s upside. Yes, Ray has had a terrible year (7.84 ERA, 31 walks in 31 innings), but he continues to entice with his four-seam spin and whiff rates (he’s striking out 27.9% of batters faced this season).

12) Blue Jays acquire IF/OF Jonathan Villar from Marlins for PTBN (reportedly OF Griffin Conine)
Because Isan Díaz, who had elected not to play in July, is applying for reinstatement, the Marlins deemed their starting second baseman and sometimes outfielder expendable. Villar was not slugging at the rate he did in Baltimore last season, but he did have a Major League-leading nine stolen bases. With the Blue Jays, he can help out at short until Bo Bichette returns from a knee sprain (hopefully in mid-September) and then move around the field.

13) Blue Jays acquire RHP Ross Stripling from the Dodgers for two PTBN
Somehow, some way, Stripling was going to be traded in 2020.
After the Dodgers-Angels trade he was involved in back in February famously fell through, Stripling had a rough start to the season, with a 5.61 ERA and 12 homers allowed in seven starts. The Blue Jays are taking a calculated gamble on both Stripling (who is under control through 2022) and Ray, while also adding the successful (but homer-prone) Taijuan Walker, who had a terrific first outing for the boys in Buffalo. Stripling’s departure leaves a regular rotation spot for Tony Gonsolin on a Dodgers team that, otherwise, sat out the Deadline.

Haringoth

Aug 2, 2019
Kendall is both years away, and 100% projection. Getting a pretty good starter for a 10-12 ranked prospect is about what I expected.

It is of course the Dodgers, so who knows.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I was starting to get worried it was Kloff, which Kendall isn't that far off of, but Kloff's further along. Still a touch annoyed, but mostly relieved it's not Kloff.

Reactions: Morgs

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
I thought that was one of our better pitching prospects. We have Stripling for 2 more years after this?

throwing away lotto tickets already. We’re not THAT good yet imo. We should still be accumulating prospects.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
If it's any consolation Williams is a day older than Kloff. IDK how baseball drafting ages work, did he start his schooling a year late? I don't want to root against a guy now so we don't lose a trade badly, but hopefully maybe being a year older made him look better against his peers.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Thats pretty gross. Damn
If the Dodgers want him I can see them turning him into something that could make this look bad. He has the vertical arm slot and curveball profile they like in their pitchers. I'm less annoyed by this than the Villar trade though for some reason. At least Stripling is controlled for 3 more years. How do their returns look like in comparison to what we got for our impending free agents?

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I thought that was one of our better pitching prospects. We have Stripling for 2 more years after this?

throwing away lotto tickets already. We’re not THAT good yet imo. We should still be accumulating prospects.

Currently sitting in a playoff spot with 27 games left, a year before the contention window is supposed to open. They added a guy with a history of being a really effective pitcher who can contribute to the stretch run this year as well as the next two years, when the team is expected to be really good, and we're complaining that they included someone in the deal who's a borderline Top 10 pitching prospect in the system? Naw... they should be starting to add at this point.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
If the Dodgers want him I can see them turning him into something that could make this look bad. He has the vertical arm slot and curveball profile they like in their pitchers. I less annoyed by this than the Villar trade though for some reason. At least Stripling is controlled for 3 more years.

I'm not annoyed by the Villar deal much at all because I'm apparently lower than everyone else on Conine and Villar fills a really, really obvious hole on this team right now (Panik).

Reactions: kb

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Currently sitting in a playoff spot with 27 games left, a year before the contention window is supposed to open. They added a guy with a history of being a really effective pitcher who can contribute to the stretch run this year as well as the next two years, when the team is expected to be really good, and we're complaining that they included someone in the deal who's a borderline Top 10 pitching prospect in the system? Naw... they should be starting to add at this point.

Jays still have as pitching prospects, SWR, Manoah, Kolffenstein, Pardinho(hopefully he rebounds from TJ) and that doesn't include guys on the roster such as Kay, Hatch or Pearson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->