Value of: Wennberg

Would you take wennberg for free from CBJ?

• Total voters

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
That'd have to be one hell of a pick. Russell/Sekera's contracts are, like Abdelkader earlier in this thread, considerably worse than the "just buy him out" option.
Only have 2 years left, easy buyout option.

Also, Russel is an actually useful guy. He'd be amazing for you in a bottom pairing role where he is not playing above his head like in Edmonton.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio

Also, Russel is an actually useful guy. He'd be amazing for you in a bottom pairing role where he is not playing above his head like in Edmonton.
Russell came up in Columbus. We know his strengths and weaknesses.

Strength: he can skate the puck up the ice by himself and and do it pretty well.

Weakness: defense and passing

I believe he would be the 7th D in Columbus, maybe 8th.

At least with Sekera Jackets fans haven't seen him enough to dislike him yet.

Reactions: Viqsi

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Jankowski+Stone for Wennberg

Gives the Blues Jackets are a cheaper middle six centre and a cap dump that expires in a year.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

A buyout with a $3.1m cap hit in a single year, or multiple hits above $2m/year, is not "easy". Not compared to Wennberg's less-than-half-a-mil. And we have less than zero use for additional defensemen - we're having trouble finding time for our existing guys to play right now, and that's with three blueline injuries.

* * *​
Sutter + Goldobin+ 2nd for Wennberg.
I don't know how Goldobin is doing well enough to adequately judge this one, but my inclination is to say "no" simply because of the Sutter contract.

* * *​
Jankowski+Stone for Wennberg

Gives the Blues Jackets are a cheaper middle six centre and a cap dump that expires in a year.
It's not completely terrible, but the primary objective for trading Wennberg at this point is recouping picks. If we end up in a situation where it's more advantageous to us to worry about future cap years, this might get considered, but even as is it feels a little short given that Wennberg has actual years of production that he can rediscover.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I wouldn’t expect him to be done with Columbus. This is still a team that has struggled with center depth for the better part of the last 4 years, so he won’t be given away just to dump salary when the team is doing just fine on cap space. He is currently the odd man out, as the team’s #13 forward on a team that has found chemistry and lines with identity. Should any lines struggle, he would likely be the next man in. That being said, he could be moved if another team values him as a middle 6 center with upside. If not, I expect him to be held onto until his value rebounds a little.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
would columbus be interested in toffoli and martinez (can retain on both if necessary) for wennberg and a good prospect?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Zack Smith & Filip Chlapik for Wennberg
Eww. Not really what we're looking for.

* * *​
would columbus be interested in toffoli and martinez (can retain on both if necessary) for wennberg and a good prospect?
Tip #1: The idea behind trading Wennberg is to pull in replacement futures, not to give up even more.
Tip #2: If your proposal involves a defenseman going to Columbus, it fails. We are massively overstrength on the blueline.

* * *​
What would it take from the Canucks?
Picks.

* * *​
I may consider something like Wennberg+ for Henrique
This only gets considered if we're unable to resign Duchene. Call back in July. :)

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
This only gets considered if we're unable to resign Duchene. Call back in July. :)
Well part of the reason I would consider trading Henrique is because he has an NTC that kicks in on July 1. So if he's getting dealt, it would be before free agency begins. But I also get why you would wait.

RRenegade

Jul 13, 2016
Winnipeg
As a Jets fan, I'd be interested to see a Bryan Little (C, 31 $5.3M x 5Years 40-60 pts/year) for Wenneberg (C, 24, $4.9M x 4Years, 20-60pts/yr )trade.
How is Wenneberg defensively?
BTW, nothing wrong with Little, the Jets just need a change and imo a LH C for Laine.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
As a Jets fan, I'd be interested to see a Bryan Little (C, 31 $5.3M x 5Years 40-60 pts/year) for Wenneberg (C, 24, $4.9M x 4Years, 20-60pts/yr )trade.
How is Wenneberg defensively?
BTW, nothing wrong with Little, the Jets just need a change and imo a LH C for Laine.
He's excellent defensively. Little's contract term is a bit of a concern, tho. Call us back in July if we can't keep Duchene? ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad