Value of: Wennberg

Would you take wennberg for free from CBJ?

• Total voters

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I said no from SJ. I don’t think he really fits the Sharks though and that’s why I said no. We already have Hertl/Couture at C and I don’t think we can have a 5M contract as the third line C (unless you’re Jumbo). I do think he has value to a team like Colorado or Isles though.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Arizona board has flirted with the idea of Wennberg. Would need some retention or for CBJ to take back a small contract like Connuaton.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
What I was getting at with the part about the concussions is that health is a concern. There is a risk he has long term problems that could end his career.
Obviously there’s concerns for the player but from a team perspective, I don’t think the return would be big enough to be any riskier than not having pan out. We’re talking about a fairly modest return, especially if the Jackets aren’t looking to take salary back. Who knows what will happen though. The CBJ UFA situation could change the game plan quite a bit in the summer, depending on the outcome.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Said no from an Edmonton POV. I would do it if we could dump cap somewhere else, but tying up another ~5 million in cap space in a seriously underperforming player would put us even more behind the 8 ball and make it even harder to clear up cap.
As was brought up in the Lucic thread, he's an incredibly cheap buyout. I think a team like Ottawa would scoop him up on the cheap if they had the opportunity.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
tenor.gif

We wouldn't be giving him away for free in any case.

God I hate Steven Colbert.

Reactions: 12Dog and Trade

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Wennberg is a prime candidate for a change of scenery deal. Jackets may have to retain salary, but I bet they could get a deal for him with a struggling player on another team.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Wennberg for Justin Abdelkader +3rd?
An even worse 32-year-old on a contract that's similar in cap hit and duration? Why would we ever consider that?

* * *​
andy mac, 2nd rd pick, 6th rd pick
Given that Andy Mac's contract ends after next year, this would be a definite maybe.

* * *​
I hope the Kings move for him.

3rd in '19
2nd-4th in '20 (performance based)

Or something like that.
Could be made to work.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
An even worse 32-year-old on a contract that's similar in cap hit and duration? Why would we ever consider that?

* * *​

Given that Andy Mac's contract ends after next year, this would be a definite maybe.

* * *​

Could be made to work.
Its cap relief and I added a pick

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Give me a ****ing break. If it's less than the NHL minimum salary, it's not cap relief. And the pick is a joke.
Don't swear at me because you are wrong. The Blue Jackets need cap yo keep Bob Panarin and Duchene this deal saves you almost 2 million dollars and a mid round pick for this glorified scrub

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Don't swear at me because you are wrong. The Blue Jackets need cap yo keep Bob Panarin and Duchene this deal saves you almost 2 million dollars and a mid round pick for this glorified scrub
Two mil over five years is not a relevant savings. Not when we can save even more by just buying Wennberg out at 1/3 and thereby getting $4.5m in cap space to go with it. If you're going to come up with an offer, you have to do better than the buyout option. Abdelkader is considerably worse than the buyout option, and a 3rd round pick does not substantially change that.

Reactions: Toe Pick

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Could make sense from a Vancouver perspective depending on the price. The Canucks have a boatload of cap space, and Wennberg would fit into the core in terms of age. Would CBJ take salary back in a deal or is it a pure dump?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Was going to say Wennberg + pick for Toffoli.....but Columbus should not be dealing what picks they have left right now.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio

Columbus is unlikely to re-sign Bob and Panarin is not likely to consider re-signing with Columbus. There is over $13 million in cap relief. Saving $400k per year is meaningless. How about Abdelkader and Detroit's 1st round pick for future considerations?

Columbus is offering you over 21 million in cap relief.

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Could make sense from a Vancouver perspective depending on the price. The Canucks have a boatload of cap space, and Wennberg would fit into the core in terms of age. Would CBJ take salary back in a deal or is it a pure dump?
Taking salary back isn't expressly forbidden, but it's going to be difficult to pull it off - especially if there's term involved. I can tell you from the start that even thinking of Eriksson is going to get a deal torpedoed, for example, and offering someone like Jay Beagle wouldn't do much better. ;)

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Taking salary back isn't expressly forbidden, but it's going to be difficult to pull it off - especially if there's term involved. I can tell you from the start that even thinking of Eriksson is going to get a deal torpedoed, for example, and offering someone like Jay Beagle wouldn't do much better. ;)

I was thinking more along the lines of Brandon Sutter, actually, haha. Though from a Canucks perspective taking salary back isn't totally necessary. I realize nobody is taking Beagle or Eriksson unless you're taking equally bad veteran mistake(s) back ... those contracts are just too brutal.

In terms of "younger" assets the Canucks probably have Virtanen and Hutton available. I personally wouldn't move draft picks for a guy like Wennberg, but I wouldn't put it past Benning.

We also have a bunch of random refuse floating around the line-up (i.e. Baertschi, Granlund, Goldobin, etc.), but doubt that would be of interest.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I was thinking more along the lines of Brandon Sutter, actually, haha.
He was #3 on my "no way nohow" list, although I figured I'd stick to two examples only. :)

In terms of "younger" assets the Canucks probably have Virtanen and Hutton available. I personally wouldn't move draft picks for a guy like Wennberg, but I wouldn't put it past Benning.

We also have a bunch of random refuse floating around the line-up (i.e. Baertschi, Granlund, Goldobin, etc.), but doubt that would be of interest.
That makes figuring out a deal problematic, because the biggest reason we'd want to trade Wennberg is to recoup missing picks. We're more than set at RW (and right-shot wingers in general) for a very long time, and the same is even more true of defensemen at every position. C could become a problem if we can't retain Duchene, and LW can become a problem because of Panarin's probable departure, but both of those could also potentially be patched by, y'know, not trading Wennberg. So. :dunno:

Reactions: TruGr1t

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad