Value of: Wennberg

Would you take wennberg for free from CBJ?

• Total voters

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
I would in a nutshell, but most teams don’t have 5M cap to spare on a reclamation project. If I was a team like Ottawa I would.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
tenor.gif

We wouldn't be giving him away for free in any case.

Reactions: Fro

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Colorado would be a good spot for him. No clue what would be coming the other way however

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I don't think he has negative value because of age and potential. But he wouldn't get much in return. Maybe a 6th round pick.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
That low hey?

He is a risk to any team that takes him because of the last 2 years of poor production / regression and his cap/salary. No one would give anything of value unless they are returning bad cap in return. Standalone, he might return a pick or he might pass through waivers. Hard to say.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The fact that he is a healthy scratch for CBJ during the playoffs is a massive Red Flag, unless i missed a notification that he is injured. You don't pay 20M for a guy who can't play.

I had earlier made half joking(sadly) trade offers for Victor Rask( 3 x 4M). I now rescind that offer- which should tell you all that you need to know. Wennberg might be a bit better player, but not at 8M more.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I’d offer up the Flames 1st, for Wennberg 20% retained. It saves the Jackets about a million in real dollars verses a buyout. We move Ryan up to the wing, to replace Frolik and have a third line of Bennett-Wennberg-Neal.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Said no from an Edmonton POV. I would do it if we could dump cap somewhere else, but tying up another ~5 million in cap space in a seriously underperforming player would put us even more behind the 8 ball and make it even harder to clear up cap.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
4.9m cap hit for 4 more years. Negative value or no?
Some value. He's 24. So, the team that acquires him would still have the option of a buyout after the coming season at 1/3 of his salary. So, they would only take a 1/6 dead cap hit of $4.9 million. So, 6 years at $800K in dead cap in a worst case scenario if you have to buy him out.

I would expect teams out of the playoffs would look to take a swing at him. Van, Min, LA, NJ, NYR, Ott, Buf, etc would come calling to inquire.

Reactions: Steely Van

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Some value. He's 24. So, the team that acquires him would still have the option of a buyout after the coming season at 1/3 of his salary. So, they would only take a 1/6 dead cap hit of $4.9 million. So, 6 years at $800K in dead cap in a worst case scenario if you have to buy him out.

I would expect teams out of the playoffs would look to take a swing at him. Van, Min, LA, NJ, NYR, Ott, Buf, etc would come calling to inquire.
That’s just it, the kid is next to risk free, for a team with cap space. I don’t think the return would be great but he should be pretty easy to move, without taking back a bunch of salary. Like I said, I’d do the Flames 1st for him, 20% retained. We have Backlund and a number of other Sweds to mentor him. It’s still a gamble but even if he can bounce back to a 40 point centre, it’s still a decent deal for both sides.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viqsi and Toe Pick

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
That’s just it, the kid is next to risk free, for a team with cap space. I don’t think the return would be great but he should be pretty easy to move, without taking back a bunch of salary.

I think he's still a good player, mostly for his superlative defensive play. If Texier wasn't very good he wouldn't be in there over Wennberg.

I wouldn't say Wennberg is risk free. He's had concussions, and the one from Tom Wilson's flying hit in the playoffs last Spring (still angry about it) seems to have really done some damage. It's too bad, Wennberg was on fire to start that playoff series.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I think he's still a good player, mostly for his superlative defensive play. If Texier wasn't very good he wouldn't be in there over Wennberg.

I wouldn't say Wennberg is risk free. He's had concussions, and the one from Tom Wilson's flying hit in the playoffs last Spring (still angry about it) seems to have really done some damage. It's too bad, Wennberg was on fire to start that playoff series.
I mean risk free, in terms of long term cap implications. I think most would agree he’s probably done as a CBJ. He hasn’t been great and the return will reflect that. As long as the ask is decent, the risk if he doesn’t pan out is pretty minimal.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
It's not impossible, but it needs to be a rebuilding team with lots of cap space... and also the willingness to spend it while rebuilding. Small pool of teams.

It would be an enormous help if Wennberg was perceived as a great locker room leader who could mentor younger players as they mature, and insulate them on the ice. That has real value to a rebuilding club. Yet he's quiet and struggling.

So I think negative value is accurate. This is not an easy contract to move, and they're going to have to see him as their own reclamation project. They have to build him back up again.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I mean risk free, in terms of long term cap implications. I think most would agree he’s probably done as a CBJ. He hasn’t been great and the return will reflect that. As long as the ask is decent, the risk if he doesn’t pan out is pretty minimal.

What I was getting at with the part about the concussions is that health is a concern. There is a risk he has long term problems that could end his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->