Wennberg and Torts have a...thing....

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
When Torts can't express himself like a normal human being he deserves to get laughed at. At no other job would that kind of behavior be found acceptable.

And it's not exactly new that players tune out coaches. In one of my favorite players' tribune pieces Lessons Learned From a Career in Hockey | By Brenden Morrow Brett Hull gives Morrow advice how to reply to whining Hitchcock: "“You tell that mother****er to **** off!”

And being a hockey coach is not "just any other job", but if you want to go down that route please let me know in which other job will your boss let you get away with making faces and talking back when you made a costly mistake?

Wennberg looks and acts like a middle schooler and not like a hockey player who thinks he doesn't needs to be accountable for his action.

Think of Torts what you want, love him hate him, I really don't care. Coaches, regardless of who it is, will need to yell at their players once in a while to simply wake them up. That or they get benched. If you, as a player, can't handle it, look for a different job to pay your bills.

In what world can't coaches yell at you anymore for making a mistake?
I now wonder if you have played any team sports for you to think a yelling coach is something unusual.

Last edited by a moderator:

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
And being a hockey coach is not "just any other job", but if you want to go down that route please let me know in which other job will your boss let you get away with making faces and talking back when you made a costly mistake?

Wennberg looks and acts like a middle schooler and not like a hockey player who thinks he doesn't needs to be accountable for his action.

Think of Torts what you want, love him hate him, I really don't care. Coaches, regardless of who it is, will need to yell at their players once in a while to simply wake them up. That or they get benched. If you, as a player, can't handle it, look for a different job to pay your bills.

I now wonder if you have played any team sports for you to think a yelling coach is something unusual.
Oh, you so care :)

Reactions: razor8

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Didn't the CBJ players have some sort of close door meeting with Torts asking him to be nicer. Looks like that went out the window and the CBJ players decided by themselves to just let Torts be Torts and say "whatever dude" when he blows his lid. It seems to be working, maybe instead of the coach and player going at it, the players just laugh it off.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

Yelling is one thing, yelling all the time at the professional level eventually gets you run out of town because your players stop listening to anything you say.

That's not just a hockey thing, all of that yelling doesn't go over well in the NBA, NFL, or MLB either.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Yelling is one thing, yelling all the time at the professional level eventually gets you run out of town because your players stop listening to anything you say.

That's not just a hockey thing, all of that yelling doesn't go over well in the NBA, NFL, or MLB either.

Sure, I should know (Torts and Keenan were known for this on the Rangers) , but the way Wennberg responded is FAR from professional and shows some maturity issues.
If this is how Wennberg deals with adversity then I'd hate to be this guy's team mate.

As I said before, put any other coach into this conversation, one that doesn't have a perceived reputation for "flying off the handle" and this whole conversation shifts to Wennberg showing a lack of accountability and a lack of respect for his coach two things that are deadly not just in hockey but in life in general.

Reactions: mikeyp24

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Sure, I should know (Torts and Keenan were known for this on the Rangers) , but the way Wennberg responded is FAR from professional and shows some maturity issues.
If this is how Wennberg deals with adversity then I'd hate to be this guy's team mate.

As I said before, put any other coach into this conversation, one that doesn't have a perceived reputation for "flying off the handle" and this whole conversation shifts to Wennberg showing a lack of accountability and a lack of respect for his coach two things that are deadly not just in hockey but in life in general.
If you change the coach you change the situation. You see it as a lack of respect, others see it as being fed up with a loud mouth.

If you change the coach does he still do it? You can't answer that question.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
If you change the coach you change the situation. You see it as a lack of respect, others see it as being fed up with a loud mouth.

If you change the coach does he still do it? You can't answer that question.

Disagree, the situation is still the same: "Coach yells at player for making a mistake" that's it.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Disagree, the situation is still the same: "Coach yells at player for making a mistake" that's it.
No it's not.

Look I grew up playing sports of all kinds, I've had the guys like Torts, and I've had the opposite.

Guys like Torts you eventually tune out and give him the middle finger because the yelling becomes meaningless. Meanwhile the guy that kept his cool and busted my chops when I deserved it got much respect and got me to bust my ass afterwards. I'd run through walls if he told me too because I knew there was a reason for it.

Guys like Torts are a dime a dozen, and once players get enough of it they get shipped out because they don't give a damn about what he has to say anymore.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
No it's not.

Look I grew up playing sports of all kinds, I've had the guys like Torts, and I've had the opposite.

Guys like Torts you eventually tune out and give him the middle finger because the yelling becomes meaningless. Meanwhile the guy that kept his cool and busted my chops when I deserved it got much respect and got me to bust my ass afterwards. I'd run through walls if he told me too because I knew there was a reason for it.

Guys like Torts are a dime a dozen, and once players get enough of it they get shipped out because they don't give a damn about what he has to say anymore.

Well yeah it is. I've played a team sport for 20+ years and can't count the coaches I had on one hand but the loudest ones I always found to be the best ones in terms of holding you accountable for the mistakes you make in game. Maybe you can't deal with the constant barrage of a guy telling you you are making mistakes, but the simplest solution to that was/is to stop making mistakes and buy into the system, if you don't you'll just end up getting benched.

To me sports is like school, you are there to learn, better yourself and compete at times. If you have a teacher that has teaching methods that are more demanding to you the worst thing you can do is to "tune him/her out" .

As I mentioned before this is Wennberg's problem, not Torts. Torts is the way he is, the players know it, the league knows it. If he was bad at his job, he wouldn't have a job it really is that simple. If you can't adjust to a known factor (Torts calling and chewing you out when you mess up) then you as a player have an adjustment and possibly a maturity problem.

I don't agree with how Torts coaches, or for that matter how he acts at times, but I sure as hell would make sure to not give Torts anymore reason to flip out.

If Wennberg gave me this sort of response I'd bench him for the rest of the game and possibly bench him for the next game depending how the meeting with him would go and my coaching GREATLY differs from Torts.

Bottom line is you don't act like this towards a coach considering coaches are there to put your team in the best position to win and he puts the trust into those players to not make stupid mistakes.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Well yeah it is. I've played a team sport for 20+ years and can't count the coaches I had on one hand but the loudest ones I always found to be the best ones in terms of holding you accountable for the mistakes you make in game. Maybe you can't deal with the constant barrage of a guy telling you you are making mistakes, but the simplest solution to that was/is to stop making mistakes and buy into the system, if you don't you'll just end up getting benched.

To me sports is like school, you are there to learn, better yourself and compete at times. If you have a teacher that has teaching methods that are more demanding to you the worst thing you can do is to "tune him/her out" .

As I mentioned before this is Wennberg's problem, not Torts. Torts is the way he is, the players know it, the league knows it. If he was bad at his job, he wouldn't have a job it really is that simple. If you can't adjust to a known factor (Torts calling and chewing you out when you mess up) then you as a player have an adjustment and possibly a maturity problem.

I don't agree with how Torts coaches, or for that matter how he acts at times, but I sure as hell would make sure to not give Torts anymore reason to flip out.

If Wennberg gave me this sort of response I'd bench him for the rest of the game and possibly bench him for the next game depending how the meeting with him would go and my coaching GREATLY differs from Torts.

Bottom line is you don't act like this towards a coach considering coaches are there to put your team in the best position to win and he puts the trust into those players to not make stupid mistakes.

There is more than one way to teach than to be a complete ass bag.

One of the best teachers of baseball I ever had rarely yelled, and two of the worst I've ever seen yelled all the time. Oddly enough the first guy won championships, the last two turkeys never got close.

There is a reason Torts only lasts for a short while anywhere, no one wants to put up with that crap for very long. He will be on to the next team here shortly.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
#1 People still have an opinion of Torts of 10 years ago and have 0 idea of the coach he is now. It's hilarious.

#2 Anyone that thinks this was Torts over reacting Wennberg DESERVED it and has deserved it this was probably a breaking point for Torts on Wennberg needing to be accountable.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
#1 People still have an opinion of Torts of 10 years ago and have 0 idea of the coach he is now. It's hilarious.

#2 Anyone that thinks this was Torts over reacting Wennberg DESERVED it and has deserved it this was probably a breaking point for Torts on Wennberg needing to be accountable.
So yall gonna trade him off too?

Also gotta wonder what the reactions would be had that been Jones instead of Wennberg.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
There is more than one way to teach than to be a complete ass bag.

One of the best teachers of baseball I ever had rarely yelled, and two of the worst I've ever seen yelled all the time. Oddly enough the first guy won championships, the last two turkeys never got close.

There is a reason Torts only lasts for a short while anywhere, no one wants to put up with that crap for very long. He will be on to the next team here shortly.

And again, I've already said I have a more jovial approach to coaching, so what you perceive of Torts to be I am not, it doesn't however mean that you should NEVER yell at your players. In this case Wennberg completely deserved a proper thrashing, which is why I said, remove Torts and what you think Torts is and add a different coach. If Wennberg would have responded to him the same way we aren't talking about the coach being an assbag but we are talking about Wennberg having a problem.

And just to address something real quick, as a professional you get paid to put up with crap until your superiors decide you will have to deal with a different sort of "crap".

Torts is Wennberg's coach, he is his boss, to put it into simple terms. His boss told him, hey you did a shitty job, wake up or I'll send you home to which the employee (Wennberg) responded "Yeah, whatever mean, f*** you!"

I don't see how anyone can defend Wennberg's behavior regardless of how much "crap" Torts put them through.
At the end of the day the Jackets are in the playoff race and it's not "in spite" of Torts.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
So yall gonna trade him off too?

Also gotta wonder what the reactions would be had that been Jones instead of Wennberg.

Ovechkin, Crosby, Karlsson... pick one.

Any player that reacts like this has an attitude problem.

Let's call it Coach X vs Player Y.

Does that make it more right to you?

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
And again, I've already said I have a more jovial approach to coaching, so what you perceive of Torts to be I am not, it doesn't however mean that you should NEVER yell at your players. In this case Wennberg completely deserved a proper thrashing, which is why I said, remove Torts and what you think Torts is and add a different coach. If Wennberg would have responded to him the same way we aren't talking about the coach being an ****** but we are talking about Wennberg having a problem.

And just to address something real quick, as a professional you get paid to put up with crap until your superiors decide you will have to deal with a different sort of "crap".

Torts is Wennberg's coach, he is his boss, to put it into simple terms. His boss told him, hey you did a ****ty job, wake up or I'll send you home to which the employee (Wennberg) responded "Yeah, whatever mean, **** you!"

I don't see how anyone can defend Wennberg's behavior regardless of how much "crap" Torts put them through.
At the end of the day the Jackets are in the playoff race and it's not "in spite" of Torts.

Because even the best professionals have their limits.

It's just funny because not to long ago Columbus fans were all about getting rid of him but now that he has you barely in the playoffs it's a player problem.

For what it's worth I'm not arguing coaches shouldn't call players out for mistakes, I'm arguing that the way you do it can change how effective it is and how players react to it.

Even the best professionals are only going to listen to that mess for so long. There is a reason the phrase " he has lost the locker room " exists.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Because even the best professionals have their limits.

It's just funny because not to long ago Columbus fans were all about getting rid of him but now that he has you barely in the playoffs it's a player problem.

For what it's worth I'm not arguing coaches shouldn't call players out for mistakes, I'm arguing that the way you do it can change how effective it is and how players react to it.

Even the best professionals are only going to listen to that mess for so long. There is a reason the phrase " he has lost the locker room " exists.

Let's be clear, I'm not a Jackets fan. I'm a fan of a team where Torts supposedly "lost the locker room".

In any case we are spinning in circles, if Wennberg can't handle it while the others can then he needs some work. I mean you have Columbus fans saying that Wennberg deserved this thrashing DESPITE what you said about what Columbus fans felt like not too long ago about Torts.
If anyone would be fed up with Torts it's probably the fans of teams he used to coach or is coaching and if a fan of said team tells you "that player deserves it" even though we are aware of Torts' history then you KNOW Wennberg deserved it.

So let's just agree to disagree I don't see me getting through to you here.... which means I kind of can relate to Torts' even more now.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

Ah, the fallacy of "It's always been that way, so that's the way it should be"

There are ways to hold someone "accountable" that don't include screaming at them. If you can't think of any, that's on you.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Ah, the fallacy of "It's always been that way, so that's the way it should be"

There are ways to hold someone "accountable" that don't include screaming at them. If you can't think of any, that's on you.

If that's all you took from my comments, well that's on you as well then.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
If that's all you took from my comments, well that's on you as well then.

No I also took from it the "If you don't agree with me it means you haven't played sports" argument. But that is such a weak and cliched piece of illogic I decided not to respond to it as it doesn't need to be debunked.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
No I also took from it the "If you don't agree with me it means you haven't played sports" argument. But that is such a weak and cliched piece of illogic I decided not to respond to it as it doesn't need to be debunked.

I sure will question if someone has ever played a team sports if they find a coach yelling at a player (especially in professional sports) as something unusual. Nothing cliched or illogical about coming to this conclusion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad