Post-Game Talk: Well that was embarrassing... Leafs scrape by 5-4 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Barrie Dermot and Holl think they are the second coming of Bobby Orr . please simplify your game , especially when we have the lead.

Christ 2 rookies were better than you 3.

Johnson and Kappy stop thinking you are something you aren't . Stop making those extra little plays when you lose the puck.

Someone besides Muzzin hit someone especially in front of the net.

To all players wE have the lead going into the 3rd period don't think the game is over.

being out shot 15-4 in the 3rd period is unacceptable.

If we traded Barrie Johnson Dermot Kappy and kerfoot would not be disappointed . Tired of there sloppy play

We need a safe dman that can hit , I don't even give a **** if he gets a point. Just play a safe defensive game.
Great post.

Hire this man.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
We allowed 15 SOG through the first 4o minutes, that's pretty solid.
Anaheim came out angry in the 3rd and we held on. Then in OT I don't recall Anaheim touching the puck.
I think our team defense is getting better. When you watch other teams playing, a lot of the goals that happen are because of defensive breakdowns or losing a battle in the crease. It's not singular to the leafs, it might just seem that way because we mostly watch the leafs.
We definitely own the possession game but as soon as we let up it can really get ugly.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Sadly, Babcock tried you years to get this group to play well in their own end , Keefe has been trying as well and so far neither has been successful Hopefully they can iron out their problems but so many of their errors are mental ones creating terrible turnovers. Can this be fixed?

It's a balancing act. There's a fine line between maintaining possession and unforced turnovers.

The players need to learn to make the simple, safe play to get the puck out without icing it when they're being hemmed in their own zone.

That's been killing us lately.

Reactions: LeafsRus

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Not at all. 3-1 lead, can't keep it. Then they get a 4-3 goal late, can't keep it either. Got dominated in the 3rd by a bad Ducks team that played the night before. Very hard to be excited.
Yeah. I just can't see us beating any of the teams currently in the playoffs in a 7-game series. If we play Boston I'd be shocked if it went to 6.

Hopefully I'm completely out to lunch, but I think the only team they could beat is Florida.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
Yeah it's not as much a defensive issue recently but more making bad decisions with the puck and feeling rushed or panicked while trying to break out under pressure.

We really missed Nylander last night to transition from D to offence.

Reactions: DeadEye and crump

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yeah it's not as much a defensive issue recently but more making bad decisions with the puck and feeling rushed or panicked while trying to break out under pressure.

We really missed Nylander last night to transition from D to offence.

We sure did. Last night we were missing our #1D, an elite forward in Nylander, Mikheyev and Ceci. Oh yeah, our #1 goalie wasn't able to play as well. I hate to make excuses but it's hard to argue that injuries haven't hurt us badly this season.

Reactions: willmma

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
On Johnsson I agree, Kapanen has been good. Kappy is on pace to set a new career high in points with 47 despite playing a lesser role than last year. He's scoring less but he's been fine imo. That is great prodcution from a 3rd line player actually.
Kappy's points are fine but I'm talking about his compete level and IQ. Both seemed to have regressed.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I find their structure in the defensive zone has looked better under Keefe, but the should never let the other team have the puck haha just like they did in the 3v3 OT
When we stop possession and our attack we have nothing to fall back on. That is all we have. So we need to go full out on attack for 60 minutes. There is no defense to stop the other team when we aren't attacking. We need 2 big fast monster defenders. We have to be able to eat pucks once in a while. We have to be able to crunch the cycle once in a while. We have to be able to box out attackers late in games.

Last night we let Ducks setup an attack of our net. No one boxed out from goalie. Loads of guys back for a rebound but we let Ducks get 2 guys behind us. and one Duck just overpowered our goalie. That can't happen.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Give Dubas credit for that win. No chance they pull it off with Hutchinson in net.

Reactions: saltming

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Yeah. I just can't see us beating any of the teams currently in the playoffs in a 7-game series. If we play Boston I'd be shocked if it went to 6.

Hopefully I'm completely out to lunch, but I think the only team they could beat is Florida.
Caps would win in a sweep.

Bruins would beat them selves in at least one game. Anderson could also steal one. Leafs done in 5 or 6.

Lightening would beat them too. In five or six.

They way things are shaping up, leafs will get one of these 3 in the first round. Ouch .

Last edited:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
So why do they sit comfortable in 13th place?

Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander are apparently ripping it up. Freddy is the second coming of Hasek.

If the other 15 are not getting out matched........... how do they get to 13th place? And 29th in goals allowed?
What? Andersen is a bottom 10 starter this season. The only reason his play hasn't gotten more attention is because his backups have been even worse.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
What? Andersen is a bottom 10 starter this season. The only reason his play hasn't gotten more attention is because his backups have been even worse.
So Andersons play is a major factor in the leafs sitting a disappointing 13th over all ....and a bottom feeder in goals against ? OK, you likely watch morte games than I do.

They way I have been hearing it is if not for Anderson they are no where near a play off spot.

Last edited:

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Kappy's points are fine but I'm talking about his compete level and IQ. Both seemed to have regressed.
Have some exanples?

He's never really had a high IQ. Had always had poor vision and decision making with the puck which is why he doesn't play well with shooters like JT or Matthews, but in the role he's in he can basically just fire away.

I haven't really seen his compete level go down, he hasn't been slacking on the backcheck or weak on the puck from what I've seen. Still good on the PK and 5 on 5.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Correct and this year has been great for that.
The adversity they've been through this year is good for them.
Unlike the OP and many post on here, I like the game and the win. Anaheim is a sold vet layden team full of warriors who lost the night before. You knew they would come out with guns blazing in the 3rd. Every time they scored, we answered. It was a fun game and the win it OT was very emotional for the team. Seasons like these and wins like these are a steep learning curve and go a long way for young players.

This post wins the thread.

Reactions: saltming
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad