Post-Game Talk: Well that was embarrassing... Leafs scrape by 5-4 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Barrie and Ceci are both gone after this season and with the injuries they have the cap room to add a significant player with term.

If Mo,Soup anf Ceci are out the reg season and come back for the playoffs the leafs can then take on just a tich over 9 mill in salary... read that from CJ a couple days ago

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018
I know what my eyes tell me, but for you fancy stats guys is Dermott slipping, like a lot?

It’s pretty easy to check for yourself and navigate if you ever want to check.

just google naturalstattrick it’s a really nice free website

There are game logs if you want to see with tons of information. Or you can set by date if you want to sort as well.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Kapanen has progressed offensively each year... suddenly he can stickhandle with the puck and not lose it. Hes a hard player to part with because his speed is gamebreaking. It immediately adds another layer to the team that other team have to be always aware of and prepare for.

Ive said this 2 seasons ago as well. He has a higher potential than some are giving him credit for.

He started off as only a speedy straight line guy on his callup year.
The year after he added better PK and can make a pass here and there. His shot at times are top notch.

This season, hes starting to make passes and handle the puck while skating laterally. That play on the OT last night was a play set up around Kappys speed, making the defender go 100% to cover Kap, only to draw the play away from JT.

In the playoffs he isnt one of the timid leafs and his speed is legit.

Its like covering Mcdavid, but when he gets passed you hes just not as Dangerous lol

Interesting to see what the deadline will bring

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
It's a balancing act. There's a fine line between maintaining possession and unforced turnovers.

The players need to learn to make the simple, safe play to get the puck out without icing it when they're being hemmed in their own zone.

That's been killing us lately.
That's the oxymoron of how this game is played that many don't have the hockey IQ around here to understand. Making the safe simple play makes you predictable. Being predictable makes you easy to forcheck. Being easy to forcheck makes you prone to turnovers on the check, take icings, play punt hockey, hemmed in your zone and rely too much on goaltending...

It's because they start to play safe & simple is when they get into these lulls.

I've been trying to get people on here to understand that the best defensive teams don't play defense all the much. Defense gets played in the offensive zone cycling, forchecking and back tracking. The defensive zone is survival mode that depends on goaltending. If your playing defense these days, your not competing hard enough, not skating hard enough and have a horrendous puck possession game.

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
But Anaheim is not good. If we, say, beat Was, Stl, or Bos, Tbl, 5-4 in overtime I would say we should rejoice.

But anaheim isn’t the force you insinuated they were. I don’t see how a Leaf fan should be proud of their recent performance
My insinuation was that they are a team that has pride and would come out hard. I agree they are not that good but the NhL is very close in good vs bad

Reactions: FireBabcock

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
It’s pretty easy to check for yourself and navigate if you ever want to check.

just google naturalstattrick it’s a really nice free website

There are game logs if you want to see with tons of information. Or you can set by date if you want to sort as well.
I appreciate that and am aware of those sites

but I know very little on how to interpret them or what they all mean

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
So why do they sit comfortable in 13th place?

Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander are apparently ripping it up. Freddy is the second coming of Hasek.

If the other 15 are not getting out matched........... how do they get to 13th place? And 29th in goals allowed?
Well the stock answer is Babcock. Or Lou’s legacy if you want to go deeper. :sarcasm:

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018
I appreciate that and am aware of those sites

but I know very little on how to interpret them or what they all mean

Oh totally fair there are legends on NST that explain each stat. One game is a small sample size but you can usually formulate how good of a game a line or player has had from XGF XGA and looking at CF and CA. No stats are perfect but I believe last game Dermott was like 17 CF 28 CA not exactly the best game for him.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
My insinuation was that they are a team that has pride and would come out hard. I agree they are not that good but the NhL is very close in good vs bad

Yea, but they had a lead, then they gave it back. Had another lead, gave that back as well. You have to close these games out. It's great they won, but they don't inspire confidence at all.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
That's the oxymoron of how this game is played that many don't have the hockey IQ around here to understand. Making the safe simple play makes you predictable. Being predictable makes you easy to forcheck. Being easy to forcheck makes you prone to turnovers on the check, take icings, play punt hockey, hemmed in your zone and rely too much on goaltending...

It's because they start to play safe & simple is when they get into these lulls.

I've been trying to get people on here to understand that the best defensive teams don't play defense all the much. Defense gets played in the offensive zone cycling, forchecking and back tracking. The defensive zone is survival mode that depends on goaltending. If your playing defense these days, your not competing hard enough, not skating hard enough and have a horrendous puck possession game.

I agree in principle, but invariably, there are still times when the best available option is the safe play. Right now we're too predictable in our own zone because opposing teams know that we will try to play the puck out of our own end no matter what. As a result, teams are constantly sending in all forwards hard on the forecheck, and often causing turnovers.

My point was that when in we're trouble at the end of a long shift and being hemmed in for too long, sometimes it's more effective to just relieve the pressure and get a fresh group of legs on the ice.

Last edited:

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
I agree in principle, but there are times when the best available option is the safe play. Right now we're too predictable in our own zone because opposing teams know that we will try to play the puck out of our own end no matter what. As a result, teams are constantly sending in all forwards hard on the forecheck, and often causing turnovers.

My point was that when in we're trouble at the end of a long shift and being hemmed in for too long, sometimes it's more effective to just relieve the pressure and get a fresh group of legs on the ice.
The best available play isn't to play safe. Your playing right into the oppositions forcheck and why you get in trouble in the first place.That's what you and the team isn't getting. They get in trouble because they stop skating and start thinking about making the safe play because they have the lead etc... instead of acting on instinct based on competing & skating that gave you the lead and control of the game in the first place. They change the way they play to protect the lead. This is the immaturity that Keefe has eluded too. They're strength of play get's thrown away for some reason. Playing safe, parking the bus, leads to playing without the puck. playing without the puck leads to scoring chances against that leads to goals against.

You defend leads in the offensive zone cycling the puck forcing teams to have to extend they're shifts to get into any offensive zone time. That's the name of the game these days.

Just to give an example on the shorthanded goal why it's Sandin's fault. He made the safe play, simple play to AJ that all it did is put him in a bad position. The play for Sandin was to chip the puck through and go and get it himself or hold on to the puck and skate right into the offensive zone. Being afraid to hold on to the puck and skate with it is a recipe that leads to being stuck in your zone.

Last edited:

mrbagina

Jan 4, 2017
I agree in principle, but invariably, there are still times when the best available option is the safe play. Right now we're too predictable in our own zone because opposing teams know that we will try to play the puck out of our own end no matter what. As a result, teams are constantly sending in all forwards hard on the forecheck, and often causing turnovers.

This......leafs want to hang on to the puck and not give it away and that's great, but sometimes you can see they hesitate for a split second too long and end up giving it away under pressure. If they can learn to read the play at bit more and just get it out if the play isn't available right away.

Reactions: Clark4Ever

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Ducks managed 34 third period goals in 54 games before last night.

I don't think I have ever seen so many giveaways, especially in our own end, as I saw in the second and third periods. Good think Ducks are crappy at scoring.

Clifford looked ok, except for the dumb penalty. Campbell looked pretty good.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
That didn't stop them taking all that money, did it? If they were still on ELC's then I could accept that. But they demanded a lot of money to learn? LOL.
I mean technically one should never stop learning, and yes they got paid, but based on their skill.
This year has been the biggest challenge for them so I expect the most growth from them because of this. I hope it pays off within this year, but it should be a long term, long lasting gain.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
This......leafs want to hang on to the puck and not give it away and that's great, but sometimes you can see they hesitate for a split second too long and end up giving it away under pressure. If they can learn to read the play at bit more and just get it out if the play isn't available right away.
No they hold on to it without skating that gets them in trouble. They're looking to get rid of the puck instead of skating with it. When they skate the forcheck on them is ineffective. Skating with the puck opens the pass. They''re looking to make the simple pass without moving they're feet that get's them in trouble.
Skate , skate, skate. That's what this team is built for. Keep it simple slap happy hockey is when this team gets in trouble, not really good at all and rely on goaltending too much.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
So Andersons play is a major factor in the leafs sitting a disappointing 13th over all ....and a bottom feeder in goals against ? OK, you likely watch morte games than I do.

They way I have been hearing it is if not for Anderson they are no where near a play off spot.
I have no idea who you are talking about in that case, but Andersen struggling for months now have been widely documented. I think that over the last 20 games or so, we're one of the worst teams in the league in save percentage. It's been bad.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I have no idea who you are talking about in that case, but Andersen struggling for months now have been widely documented. I think that over the last 20 games or so, we're one of the worst teams in the league in save percentage. It's been bad.
I listen to talk radio in Toronto (590 and 1150) everyday. Have heard Hutchinson ripped to shreds. Have not heard anything near that toward Freddie. Hayes, Odog, Noodles, Button, Poulin, Stellick, the two annoying guys in the morning 590. The leaf cheerleader who hosts "leafs lunch" None of them speak about Freddy with anything but praise. The nearest they will go is to say the leafs play him too much and need another back up that can ease the load for him.
Now play off time has been a bit different, where Freddy has never been know or referred to as a "money goalie"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad