Post-Game Talk: Well.. at least we scored? Leafs lose 3-1. Onto St Louis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
When your best line was Santorelli - Kadri - Winnik, you know you're in trouble.

Injuries to Lupul, Holland, and Komarov are really starting to show .. And the "top line" is doing absolutely nothing to pick up the slack or even hold their own right now to at least give an offensive boost .. I get the impression that they've checked out or something, ready to move on

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Injuries to Lupul, Holland, and Komarov are really starting to show .. And the "top line" is doing absolutely nothing to pick up the slack or even hold their own right now to at least give an offensive boost .. I get the impression that they've checked out or something, ready to move on

No doubt.

Those guys are working for contracts for next year and they're doing a great job of it.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

they've barely showed up since November. a few good games sprinkled in here. (sigh)

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Felt sorry for Reimer tonight cause he had a good game. Kadri line had some moments, especially Santa but there was barely any flow or momentum for the Leafs.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I guess fourth time is the charm, because I'm not even fazed by this collapse. Each of the last three seasons I was on board the hype train, gleefully ignoring analytics, etc. This time, although I enjoyed the 10-1-1 stretch, I was under no illusions about the quality of the team. The team was getting lucky and would quickly fall back to their usual shenanigans.

Still, I'm happy with the coaching change. That has, to some degree, brought much needed change. Unfair to judge him by this road trip. Give him 20 games at least, then examine the analytics and the team's record before making any judgments.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Sell:

Phaneuf
Franson
Kessel
Lupul
Winnik
Bozak

Keep:

Kadri
JVR
Holland
Rielly
Gardiner
Santorelli
Komarov
Polak

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Hah. Indeed. At least we potted one. Weird night all around on that front. Got a bit of a bounce on it, but then got robbed of two or three goals from just awful bounces and the Sharks had similar variance in puck luck.

We should have had a pool on the amount of games before the Leafs slipped back into their usual style of play. It turns out the answer was 4.:laugh: I got the impression that they tried, almost resisted, but the 40 shots against speak for themselves. Maybe Horachek was asking for it by putting the 1st line back together. I get the need for offense but that line leads by example and is the poster child of the pond hockey style this team far too often falls into.

For whatever reason, the PP has turned into a steaming pile of garbage since Horachek. I can't imagine the system has been changed on that and I get that the second unit is a little depleted, but they couldn't even get into the zone tonight. It reminds me of past collapses: When the special teams start to go, so too does the team's fortunes. And to take it one step forward... When the top players go into funks, so too does the team. As much as Kessel is derided around here, this team's fortunes really rest on whether he's scoring or not.

Phaneuf was awful tonight. It needs to be mentioned. Just really bad. On a more positive note though, I like the ice time given to the 4th line. Frattin had a great game and it's that intensity which carried to the NHL, which made him attractive to L.A. and Columbus in trades. Best player on the ice was Santorelli's but that's the usual... special mention goes to Sam Carrick who was very good tonight in his first real opportunity.

The Playoffs odds are starting to look a tad precarious. Going to need to beat St. Louis on Saturday.

TheVision

Sep 18, 2011
This is what I hate about the Leafs, we'll never be bad enough to pick top 3, and just remain mediocore bad with mediocore level first round picks (Well aside from the Nylander hype going on).

If only we didnt go on that winning stretch... McDavid could be a possibility ~_~

This is absolutely untrue! They were bad enough to take Tyler Seguin 2nd overa....oh never mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00