GDT: Welcome to Whose Line is it Anyway? Devils @ Islanders, 7 PM, MSG+ 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
The give just enough?
They have a bottom 5 record in the league for like how many consecutive years now?

Goals during garbage time after the game is basically already lost, and few extra unexpected wins after the season is already toast...that's what this board hangs it hat on every year as evidence that there's something there.

We have like 3 prospects that are huge "maybe's" in terms of becoming difference makers...but no clear cut superstars waiting in the wings. This team sucks and I think people who proclaim that we can be a contender in 2-3 seasons are smoking some potent shit.
I somewhat agree. It’s hard to tell for sure but it seems like all of our prospects are “decent-good” but not elite.
Bad luck that there has been no Matthews like talent in drafts where we have had good picks.
We need to hit on one true NHL all-star skilled player.
We need to have one game breaker , maybe Hughes is that player ?
People keep saying we have one of the better prospect pools in the league , but it seems to be a whole pile of bottom 6 forwards (mayyyybe 2nd line talent) players and second pairing D.
Devils seem to always draft the safe bet , players decent at all aspects of the game vs. taking a chance on a highly skilled player with one or two elite abilities .
I’d rather have 3 propers with elite skill vs 9 prospects that project to be a 2nd line winger at best.
Holtz and Mercer have to develop or it will be a looong time before we are cup contenders

The devils have NEVER hit on a goal scorer in the draft. It’s frustrating . We are due to finally hit a Pastrnak like player.... if our scouts/ management would ever change their draft strategy.Maybe they have recently , too early to tell.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
The give just enough?
They have a bottom 5 record in the league for like how many consecutive years now?

Goals during garbage time after the game is basically already lost, and few extra unexpected wins after the season is already toast...that's what this board hangs it hat on every year as evidence that there's something there.

We have like 3 prospects that are huge "maybe's" in terms of becoming difference makers...but no clear cut superstars waiting in the wings. This team sucks and I think people who proclaim that we can be a contender in 2-3 seasons are smoking some potent shit.
This team plays hard, they are gassed. If we have even a half decent PP these games all look way more competitive and I promise everyone that's rationale wouldn't be complaining to the same extent. This teams lacking high end talent, a lot of the vets are washed. But they are working their asses off. So yes they do give enough for me, it f***ing sucks watching them lose and get the shit kicked out of them, but I refuse to say its because of a lack of effort.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I somewhat agree. It’s hard to tell for sure but it seems like all of our prospects are “decent-good” but not elite.
Bad luck that there has been no Matthews like talent in drafts where we have had good picks.
People keep saying we have one of the better prospect pools in the league , but it seems to be a whole pile of bottom 6 forwards (mayyyybe 2nd line talent) players and second pairing D.
Devils seem to always draft the safe bet , players decent at all aspects of the game vs. taking a chance on a highly skilled player with one or two elite abilities .
I’d rather have 3 propers with elite skill vs 9 prospects that project to be a 2nd line winger at best.
Holtz and Mercer have to develop or it will be a looong time before we are cup contenders

The devils have NEVER hit on a goal scorer in the draft. It’s frustrating . We are due to finally hit a Pastrnak like player.... if our scouts/ management would ever change their draft strategy.Maybe they have recently , too early to tell.

I mean, Mikhail Maltsev has come in and looked as good as any rookie forward this team has seen since Bratt and Hischier stepped on the ice 4 years ago, and Ty Smith might be slumping now, but he's shown that he will absolutely be a top pair defender. Even Kuokkanen has shown more than we expected him to. 9 points in 18 games with essentially no power play time is actually quite good.

These are seriously good developments for the team. Hughes's uneven ascent is frustrating, but it feels very unlikely to me that he'll fail to become an impact scorer. If Foote comes up later this season and looks good in the NHL, I'll be over the moon. That will give us 5 good young forwards in the NHL, an absolute embarrassment of riches that will only get better when Mercer and Holtz join the club.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
Should go Maltsev-Hughes-Bratt next game. Maltsev has absolutely caved in the other team in almost every game he's played, put our top offensive players with him to ride that puck possession.
Not to get ahead of myself but the way he plays the game reminds me a ton of Kuznetsov with the way he carries the puck and skates. Stylistically they aren't that similar but he just reminds me of him for some reason.

Reactions: Blackjack

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
Thing is, this team is seriously weak on the wings with no outstanding talent either left or right. Holtz doesn't look good this season from what I read, but there is still some hope that he could be the scorer on the wing we so desperately need. Other than him, we got no wingers that can score on a consistent level.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Thing is, this team is seriously weak on the wings with no outstanding talent either left or right. Holtz doesn't look good this season from what I read, but there is still some hope that he could be the scorer on the wing we so desperately need. Other than him, we got no wingers that can score on a consistent level.
This is bad news as many here are counting on him to step in next year and be a perennial 30-40 goal scorer

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country

Obviously agree that the Devils do not have high end producers a team needs to succeed at this time but how could you say the Devils never draft anyone with an elite skill. Holtz was advertised as the best goal scorer in the draft and the main complaint from posters that did not like the pick was that the rest of his game was not strong. The fact that he can't find the back of the net since the Devils drafted him does not change his scouting report.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad