Welcome to the Silent Era Leafs Fans!

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Can we please stop the fictitious 'media will improve with success' lines? When this team was one of the top five teams in the NHL with Mats, Gary, AlMo, Cujo etc. they were terrible. When this team had Douggie, Felix, and the gang this media could not wait to tear them down. The Toronto media is a disease filled cockroach infestation.

If you live in a dirty house, vermin will come.

Certainly, you'll have dumpster divers but you'll also have journalists.

Watch the news, mostly about tragedy, but you'll also get reports of success, in sports, in medicine, in engineering, in quality of life improvement.

There is a market for positive reports, but you have to be willing to consume it.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If you live in a dirty house, vermin will come.

Certainly, you'll have dumpster divers but you'll also have journalists.

Watch the news, mostly about tragedy, but you'll also get reports of success, in sports, in medicine, in engineering, in quality of life improvement.

There is a market for positive reports, but you have to be willing to consume it.

If Shanny, Lou and Babcock have success we should see reporting on the comparison on how bad it was with the last regime & failed rebuild and how good it is now under the new group. Negative reporting slamming the old and positive reporting praising the new..

The new group not giving them sound bites that can't come back to bite anyone in the butt for making claims that you don't keep shows how smart they are.

Babcock is very smart for example "There will be pain" underselling promises and setting expectations low, and then if he has success he will be praised for overachieving, and if he doesn't then he will say "I told you so" ..

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Who doesn't like it? I like surprises and I didn't like the loud boisterous voice of our previous regime. We were a laffing stock of the entire league and now we have one of the best front offices in the entire league and are run more professionally. It's a win-win.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I remember reading an article awhile back before the draft and Dubas said they're doing everything they can to not let any information out.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Who doesn't like it? I like surprises and I didn't like the loud boisterous voice of our previous regime. We were a laffing stock of the entire league and now we have one of the best front offices in the entire league and are run more professionally. It's a win-win.

Exactly

How can professionalism be viewed as a negative?

Conducting your business behind closed doors results in silence outside and less information leaks as to what is being planned or discussed.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I don't see any issue. Really over the last few months what hasn't been some kind of surprise? Only things that seemed logically likely to happen like the trade deadline moves.

Rumor mongers can still make up stuff so it's not like we won't have some stuff to laugh about and wonder about. But keeping the real information locked up until a move is made should be good. More surprises and just professionalism.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Can we please stop the fictitious 'media will improve with success' lines? When this team was one of the top five teams in the NHL with Mats, Gary, AlMo, Cujo etc. they were terrible. When this team had Douggie, Felix, and the gang this media could not wait to tear them down. The Toronto media is a disease filled cockroach infestation.

It amazes me how short memories are around here.

This poll needs a "who cares?" option.

Say nothing.....say everything. I could care less. Just do well.

Seriously you'd probably have to be 10 years old or less or have a terrible memory to believe Toronto media is so much better when you are winning.

Last edited:

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

This is the single most important thing posted....(spelling aside:)). People had a right to laugh when BB spouts off about getting Tavares and crap like that. I can't wait for this team to be run like a proffesional organization should be.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Everyone might get happy now, but we will eventually see the no grey area we as Leaf fans always have. Eventaully, people will get restless with no news from management. Where's Shanny? Where's Lou? Where's Dubas? This happened last year around the Carlyle firing and beyond.

Yet when Burke opened his mouth and gave some info, whether relevant or not, the term "Blowhard" came up on these boards more often than the term "hockey".

I've seen it over the years. Not enough talking we get restless. Too much talking we are angry that Sidney Crosby hasn't been traded here for Colton Orr, and we want someone to shut up.

I don't really care if they are silent or loud, as long as the plan continues. I'd prefer a loud over quiet. For example. If you chose to believe we were actually going to get Tavares, that's your fault. I knew it wouldn't happen. But I couldn't blame the man for trying. He never said he would get Tavares. He said he would try. There's a difference.

Raymondo316

Nov 11, 2007
Maidstone England
Its miles better then listening to Burke make stupid comments like we will draft Tavares & how signing college free agents will replace the 1st round picks we traded

:shakehead:shakehead

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I don't really care if they are silent or loud, as long as the plan continues. I'd prefer a loud over quiet. For example. If you chose to believe we were actually going to get Tavares, that's your fault. I knew it wouldn't happen. But I couldn't blame the man for trying. He never said he would get Tavares. He said he would try. There's a difference.

He also talked about robbing other GMs in the past at the draft with the Sedins, etc. What other GM wants to deal with a guy like that? If he wants to try and get Tavares, fine. But he needs to just shut up and do it then.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Frankly, a lot of this nonsense about what has been said by GMs and other front office people is the result of fans and media over analyzing those comments and sometimes even taking those comments out of context. A prime example of the latter was Burke's "July 1st is our draft day". It clearly referred to that particular year because the Leafs didn't have many draft picks. However, posters on these boards (and I think some media too) continued to drag it out in later years as though it was a major philosophy of the Leafs organization.

In my mind, people say things. What they say likely reflects the situation as it exists when the comment is made. Whether what was said still applies 5 minutes, an hour, or a month later is unknown.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Once again, I'm not sure that this is the time to judge the ability of this organization to contain leaks. First, as I've mentioned before, most of the hockey media is on vacation in July and August. And second, again as I've mentioned before, there have been many changes in the Leafs front office. Insiders have likely lost sources and it will take some time for them to cultivate new ones.

Let's see what things look like around trade deadline time and judge the organization's leak-containing ability at that time.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Once again, I'm not sure that this is the time to judge the ability of this organization to contain leaks. First, as I've mentioned before, most of the hockey media is on vacation in July and August. And second, again as I've mentioned before, there have been many changes in the Leafs front office. Insiders have likely lost sources and it will take some time for them to cultivate new ones.

Let's see what things look like around trade deadline time and judge the organization's leak-containing ability at that time.

I think that's fair and you raise good points. TSN and Sportsnet clearly had their secondary guys covering the Lamoriello hiring, and it's true that new relations will need to be made between the media and new office people since a few sources were probably fired.

I'm hoping that the Leafs can contain on leaks moving forward. Shanahan says he doesn't like leaks, and Lou ran one of the most tight lipped organizations for quite a while. We'll see how effective they are in the media hotbed that is Toronto.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Everyone might get happy now, but we will eventually see the no grey area we as Leaf fans always have. Eventaully, people will get restless with no news from management. Where's Shanny? Where's Lou? Where's Dubas? This happened last year around the Carlyle firing and beyond.

Yet when Burke opened his mouth and gave some info, whether relevant or not, the term "Blowhard" came up on these boards more often than the term "hockey".

I've seen it over the years. Not enough talking we get restless. Too much talking we are angry that Sidney Crosby hasn't been traded here for Colton Orr, and we want someone to shut up.

:amazed:

Someone who actually listened to what was said and didn't invent their own story to hold someone responsible to. I take my hat off to you! I was beginning to think critical listening and reading had all but died.

Burke said so many things that were statements of the obvious yet people blew them up into things they had imagined. I mean seriously, newsflash people, every single GM in the league is interested in first overall (and every year people on here talk about it like there's a high probability) and any that are not should be fired. When someone says ""We'll immediately attempt to move up.....We're going to talk to everyone between us and the first pick and see what the landscape is." you should expect every GM to think the same way. All that tells you is they are interested in the best provided the price is right. Anyone that places high probability on it is naive and foolish. That's on them. Likewise anyone who mocks somebody because it didn't happen should probably be readily ignored because they obviously aren't very bright.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I am loving this.

I gotta agree for sure that Shanny has been quite different at handling the media compared to what Burke did in the past. I enjoyed the approach in the past but with the media that is the Toronto Hockey Writers, I think this is much more suited and much better to shut up jackasses like simmons. I still love how Lou shut him down yesterday :laugh:

Does anyone have a link to Simmons asking Lou if he'd fire Babcock? or is that a real thing?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Does anyone have a link to Simmons asking Lou if he'd fire Babcock? or is that a real thing?

if you go on tsn and hit the maple leafs tag it's in one of the little clips like "what can Lamoriello bring to the Leafs" (I think Mark Masters is doing it), and it's the last question.

to be fair I don't know if it was simmons.but it was very simmons-esque in nature

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
if you go on tsn and hit the maple leafs tag it's in one of the little clips like "what can Lamoriello bring to the Leafs" (I think Mark Masters is doing it), and it's the last question.

to be fair I don't know if it was simmons.but it was very simmons-esque in nature

Awesome, thanks Daisy. I'lll have to take a look, mostly because I hate Simmons with all my being.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
:amazed:

Someone who actually listened to what was said and didn't invent their own story to hold someone responsible to. I take my hat off to you! I was beginning to think critical listening and reading had all but died.

Burke said so many things that were statements of the obvious yet people blew them up into things they had imagined. I mean seriously, newsflash people, every single GM in the league is interested in first overall (and every year people on here talk about it like there's a high probability) and any that are not should be fired. When someone says ""We'll immediately attempt to move up.....We're going to talk to everyone between us and the first pick and see what the landscape is." you should expect every GM to think the same way. All that tells you is they are interested in the best provided the price is right. Anyone that places high probability on it is naive and foolish. That's on them. Likewise anyone who mocks somebody because it didn't happen should probably be readily ignored because they obviously aren't very bright.

Seriously if Lou comes out and says "We are going to compete and try to win the Stanley Cup, as every team tries to each year", when we don't the boards will explode. "BUT LOU SAID IT WOULD HAPPEN, HE IS A BLOWHARD JUST LIKE HIS STUDENT BURKEY."

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

When this team made the playoffs "that one (lockout-shortened) time", the media was drooling over the Leafs.

Brian Burke was trying to take credit for their success...Dave Nonis was dishing out a 7 year deal for David Clarkson...Dave Nonis was re-signed for five more years... etc. etc.

I know it's easy to try and fall back on the whole persecution-complex angle you're peddling here, but in reality the media have been on the Leafs' case because they are quite simply a god-awful hockey club (and there's not a shred of evidence that would suggest otherwise), mean the while charging the highest ticket prices and making more money than any hockey club on the planet.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Seriously if Lou comes out and says "We are going to compete and try to win the Stanley Cup, as every team tries to each year", when we don't the boards will explode. "BUT LOU SAID IT WOULD HAPPEN, HE IS A BLOWHARD JUST LIKE HIS STUDENT BURKEY."

That's hilarious because that was another one of the completely obvious statements that threw so many users into a tizzy: "The goal is to make the playoffs". What's that you say? Teams want to make the playoffs? Naaawww.....say it ain't so.

In other news, the sky is blue.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Posters actually care about this stuff? Pssh..

While Burkie was a loudmouth and ego-centric, at least he gave us something to talk about. I prefer that over tight-lipped approach where we will be left twiddling our thumbs.

But honestly, I couldn't care less either way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad