Welcome to the Silent Era Leafs Fans!

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Who would've thought that the Leafs, of all franchises, would be able to make such an important hire and there wasn't even a whisper about it? No rumours of potential names, no word that we were close to filling the GM position, zilch.

It's been kind of like this for a while now, with the Leafs making a resurgence in the Babcock sweepstakes when most thought we were out a few months ago. But this is the farthest it's been taken, with none of the usual insiders saying anything about it, and being just as blindsided as we were

What're everyone's thoughts on this new tight lipped management team?

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Less chance of getting our hopes up without it happening. I'm fine with it.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Been this way for a while now, this isn't new.
I have some people I trust when they tell me things, none of them are media insiders.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
The bottom line is that while having 'leaked' information is great to give us crap to talk about - it hurts the team as in some instances team may back out of deals or lose faith with a management group if details get out.

This is far better for the success of the team, and because of that I'm all for it!

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I laughed how McKenzie and Dreger were saying that we could be doing a hybrid rebuild and Kessel could be back in a Leaf jersey.

Next Day? Kessel Traded.

:laugh: love it

Last edited by a moderator:

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I like the 'cone of silence' approach. Players from every organization talk about how hard it is to know your name is swirling in trade winds. Limit that, and you can limit one distraction for your roster players. Good move IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Loose lips sink ships

images

So the cone of silence is the appropriate course of action for professional reasons as well as practical.

Plenty of opportunity to discuss things after they occur. :)

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Toronto is different than NJ. The media won't get anything out of Toronto's management group, but they'll get something out of other teams who may or may not be negotiating with Toronto.

Still the flow of information will be far less than in the past.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Yes, the surprise factor excites me.

Hopefully now Dreger can **** off

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I laughed how McKenzie and Dreger were saying that we could be doing a hybrid rebuild and Kessel could be back in a Leaf jersey.

Next Day? Kessel Traded.

I remember hearing that on the radio on the drive home before July 1st and totally thought to myself "Dreger is really guessing here, he has no clue." and like you said, Kessel gone the next day.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Who would've thought that the Leafs, of all franchises, would be able to make such an important hire and there wasn't even a whisper about it? No rumours of potential names, no word that we were close to filling the GM position, zilch.

It's been kind of like this for a while now, with the Leafs making a resurgence in the Babcock sweepstakes when most thought we were out a few months ago. But this is the farthest it's been taken, with none of the usual insiders saying anything about it, and being just as blindsided as we were

What're everyone's thoughts on this new tight lipped management team?

I like it, especially because it will be driving people like Simmons and Cox off the deep end!

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Next Day? Kessel Traded.

It looks good on Bobo.....he has lost a lot of credibility in my opinion. When he mouthed off about Kadri's contract it was the last straw for me...

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
The less media the better.

Reigning in the media has to be a priority and I think the "noone talks about fight club" mentality is exactly what the City needs. Less drama and clickbait... more action.

The media is already acting true to form... Before the hire it was " the leafs don't have enough experience to run the team properly....now it's shifted to " welll Lou is old and what does he really bring to the table?"

Makes me want to take his resume and slap some media ****** upside the head with it. Every drop of info he passes along to Shanny,Dubas and Hunter is like a diamond in the rough.

This has to be one of the best offseasons in memory.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
There are no more "insiders with he Leafs anymore.

And when stuff does get released, it's to guys who wouldn't expect like Mirtle. The old school guys like Simmons are simply cut out of the loop.
I personally couldn't be happier about this. Just about every major Leafs news as of late was first announced via official Leaf Pr outlets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad