Welcome to the Silent Era Leafs Fans!

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
There is nothing I hate more than rumors and speculation....not that management will actually be able to stop it.

I don't think I have EVER posted in (or even looked at) the FA/Trade rumors/speculation board.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The origin of the Silent Era in Toronto began when Bell/Rogers took over ownership control of MLSE and fired Burke to silence it at its source.

Ever since MLSE has hired professionals that endorse the corporate image and doing business behind closed doors and then making announcements when appropriate.

The cone of silence hasn't begun today, as it began when Shanny was hired and dates back to the ownership change.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Toronto is different than NJ. The media won't get anything out of Toronto's management group, but they'll get something out of other teams who may or may not be negotiating with Toronto.

Still the flow of information will be far less than in the past.

Exactly.

Information will leak but definitely not at the rate we've experienced in the Burke and Nonis era. That was a leak machine.

jcfogerty

Aug 21, 2014
The bottom line is that while having 'leaked' information is great to give us crap to talk about - it hurts the team as in some instances team may back out of deals or lose faith with a management group if details get out.

This is far better for the success of the team, and because of that I'm all for it!

totally different than baseball eh?

jcfogerty

Aug 21, 2014
Who would've thought that the Leafs, of all franchises, would be able to make such an important hire and there wasn't even a whisper about it? No rumours of potential names, no word that we were close to filling the GM position, zilch.

It's been kind of like this for a while now, with the Leafs making a resurgence in the Babcock sweepstakes when most thought we were out a few months ago. But this is the farthest it's been taken, with none of the usual insiders saying anything about it, and being just as blindsided as we were

What're everyone's thoughts on this new tight lipped management team?

The only worry I have about putting this management group together is when it comes to trades. I think we may have created an office that other teams may be terrified to deal with. Would you want to trade with this group of " superstars ? " .
Personally, I would be rather hesitant in the fear of getting "robbed"

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
lmao, if you want to set expectations you cant be talking about what you want to do all the time.

Example:

Burke: "I want John Tavares, were going to get him" blah blah blah, Leafs don't get him, omg why didn't we get Tavares!!!!

Id much rather this, keep tight lips, we all know what they should be doing (ie trading guys away for picks/prospects) if they are going to get that then they will be gone, I don't need to be told by those idiots at TSN every other day that "Phaneuf might get traded today for a 2nd and retain 50% salary!"- its very close blah blah blah

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
The only worry I have about putting this management group together is when it comes to trades. I think we may have created an office that other teams may be terrified to deal with. Would you want to trade with this group of " superstars ? " .
Personally, I would be rather hesitant in the fear of getting "robbed"

Any GM who's that scared has no place in an NHL head office, though. Careers like Lamoriello's aren't common, the shelf-life of most GMs is not that long. You can't let fear paralyze you and keep you from making moves, or you're not cut out for the gig.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
At the press conference before the scrums, Simmons asked Lou if he was gonna fire Babcock after 2 years like all his other coaches - I can't believe he keeps his job - I mean is sports journalism that raunchy now? What a sleazy question.

Shame on whatever newspaper employs Steve Simmons and TSN for putting him on the radio and TV.

BooRadley

Aug 7, 2007
Isn't there an ACC window washer here that spits out insider info? Chuck D? (I'm obviously kidding about the window washer thing. Just thought that's the only way he could get the info).

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Full approval from me. Who knows? It might even restore a little sanity to the coverage eventually.

ATBLeafsTyler

Dec 15, 2014
Newmarket, Ontario
Yeah this is kind of a dead time too. I got the goodbye for the summer emails through my Bell Media mail from Pierre Lebrun, Darren Dreger, Bob McKenzie, exc. After the first couple days of free agency.

Pierre still chimes in here and there later in the day after something happens but that's about it.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
If anyone knows the way Lamoriello is, they would realize that if this deal had a bunch of leaks, it may never have happened.

I'm sure Shanahan kept this one real tight & I think he has a little extra fun knowing the hacks know nothing.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
At the press conference before the scrums, Simmons asked Lou if he was gonna fire Babcock after 2 years like all his other coaches - I can't believe he keeps his job - I mean is sports journalism that raunchy now? What a sleazy question.

Shame on whatever newspaper employs Steve Simmons and TSN for putting him on the radio and TV.

So it was Simmons who asked the question, I was wondering who is stupid enough to ask that and what did he expects Lou to say.

I also love how Dreger was saying there were rumours of Lou leaving since e playoffs....and he might be going to he Leafs....come on, just come out and admit you did not know anything about this.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Isn't there an ACC window washer here that spits out insider info? Chuck D? (I'm obviously kidding about the window washer thing. Just thought that's the only way he could get the info).

Chuck's apparently been frozen out too. The silence is real.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I also love how Dreger was saying there were rumours of Lou leaving since e playoffs....and he might be going to he Leafs....come on, just come out and admit you did not know anything about this.

Wow. Come on Dreger. He's just trying to save face after being just as surprised as the rest of us.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
i seriously love it. i'm more entertained when leafs news comes out of the blue than if it came from insiders. don't get me wrong, i enjoy the insiders' insight, but i like to be surprised. plus, i've grown to hate dregs, so it would be nice to see him come up empty in regards to leafs rumours.

can't wait to see how the media will react to the silence. they'll probably start making **** up to keep things interesting i guess. heh.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Wow. Come on Dreger. He's just trying to save face after being just as surprised as the rest of us.

I know. I saw that clip, like there were rumours - and it was like. no there wasn't. Everyone was shocked that Lou stepped aside, and y'all were NOT talking about "oh this makes it so the Leafs can get Lou."

even in the Simmons article, it just started with "hey can I talk to Lou" and then Shanahan got permission and it was like "so. just think about this, when you get bored, and I know you'll get bored, consider being the gm for the Leafs."

Dreger mentioned Futa (a lot), and Burke (a lot) and that Dubas could probably take over, but never not once, Lou.

it will be interesting to see how things move forward because I was v. amused with the big freezeout coming from MLSE now, and all Lou does is basically ups everything from cold to sub-Arctic.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
I know. I saw that clip, like there were rumours - and it was like. no there wasn't. Everyone was shocked that Lou stepped aside, and y'all were NOT talking about "oh this makes it so the Leafs can get Lou."

even in the Simmons article, it just started with "hey can I talk to Lou" and then Shanahan got permission and it was like "so. just think about this, when you get bored, and I know you'll get bored, consider being the gm for the Leafs."

Dreger mentioned Futa (a lot), and Burke (a lot) and that Dubas could probably take over, but never not once, Lou.

it will be interesting to see how things move forward because I was v. amused with the big freezeout coming from MLSE now, and all Lou does is basically ups everything from cold to sub-Arctic.

I love it. Nothing made me happier than seeing the "insiders" try to figure out the move after the fact. I listened to Leafs Lunch when they found out and it seemed the first thing they wanted to do was rip Lou. I bet if they had an inside track they would be praising this early.

Good franchises keep this stuff under wraps until an announcement was made. I was a huge critic of Shanahan. I wrote posts about how he's "done nothing" and has "no experience", and now I'm left with nothing to criticize after they bring in Babcock and Lou.

This crow I'm eating is delicious!

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I love it. Nothing made me happier than seeing the "insiders" try to figure out the move after the fact. I listened to Leafs Lunch when they found out and it seemed the first thing they wanted to do was rip Lou. I bet if they had an inside track they would be praising this early.

Good franchises keep this stuff under wraps until an announcement was made. I was a huge critic of Shanahan. I wrote posts about how he's "done nothing" and has "no experience", and now I'm left with nothing to criticize after they bring in Babcock and Lou.

This crow I'm eating is delicious!

hehe baked, fried or in a pie?

Honestly, - I do respect you [and others] who were all about the "he does nothing" etc, but something that really hit me today during the presser was Lou basically said the exact same thing. "I can't just come in and make moves for making moves I have to look at the situation, evaluate, and then make moves." he also said that it's obvious the roster needs work.

Shanahan may not have been in Lou's office like Yzerman was for Holland, but he clearly learned some things from that man's knee.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I just love how they are all toying with the TO media with silence treatment no leaks. And how they are calling the media out when they try to pull a fast one. Still remembered how Shanny told a reporter where did u heard it from the moment he asked a stupid question or how Lou pretty much made a fool of Simmons when he asked about firing Mike....and Mike is no joke either when it comes to interview. These three guys will not let those trolls push them or their players. That's why I am starting to believe that local players will come back to TO bc they know they will be protected and just enjoy playing hockey in front of their family.

Rayban*

Apr 21, 2013
Ottawa
Good, the entire idea of "insiders" is such a joke anyways. They pat themselves on the back for days because they tweet something 5 minutes before it's officially announced to the world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad