Welcome to TED Talk - Tempe is in, so what’s next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I don't know what media you listen to but I hear them talk all the time about the Canadian Cup drought and just yesterday listened to a conversation about how they are bothered by Canadian players who take less money to play in Florida as an example.
Well, the easiest way to end the draught and hockey player drain is to ask the US to absorb Canada.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Ok, I need to make this a tagline so I don’t have to keep typing this. We all agree the Yotes themselves made themselves a laughing stock. Canadian media, USA media laughs at us the same. It will be the Yotes who hopefully will change this.

There is no bogey man that’s just making shit up to hurt the Yotes feelings.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Ok, I need to make this a tagline so I don’t have to keep typing this. We all agree the Yotes themselves made themselves a laughing stock. Canadian media, USA media laughs at us the same. It will be the Yotes who hopefully will change this.

There was an organized drive to lower public support of the Coyotes in the hopes that they would relocate back to Winnipeg. There were letters to councilmen, letters to local newspapers, and multiple calls to sports shows when they were all taking phone calls. There was a bogeyman, or two, who coordinated it all. this is why I will forever hate Winnipeg.

SirLancelot

Aug 9, 2022

You cant rape hockey fans in the bum more than what's happened around here. It's been 25 years of a shit show. That's why I'm pulling so hard to turn it around. I really do believe it can work here. I dont give a Frik about the "Canadian media". This is like many American markets. Many variables must be in place for success. An arena in the right part of town is a huge starter.

Knights2017

Deactivated Coyotes Fan
Jan 13, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
One is the PR front guy for Vegas now.

Good Lord, the absolute irony in that hire.

BTW… I waiting for the Tempe council agenda to drop in the next week or so before I start another thread.
Yeah. Gary Lawless in Vegas is so ironic.

When there was a time The Coyotes were going to move, I kind of wanted to make Vegas the team I'd pick to follow if the team left AZ but with Lawless in that org.. no chance.

Darren Millard as well.. wtf

Reactions: Art.Vandelay

Baby Doaner

Mar 14, 2021
Some guys from work and I were going to see a game in October and hit up top golf. At 110/ticket, I think we may move this to September and see a Dbacks game instead. That’s just crazy expensive to see an ECHL team play.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Some guys from work and I were going to see a game in October and hit up top golf. At 110/ticket, I think we may move this to September and see a Dbacks game instead. That’s just crazy expensive to see an ECHL team play.

Wait until March and then check StubHub. Should be heavily discounted by then.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Compared to what we’ve become accustomed to, yes. Yes it is.

That’s the cheapest offered.
Yeah but after the first few weeks of the newness of the college arena being gone and everyone realizing it still sucks watching dog shit on the ice and what I imagine will be a parking nightmare which is most stuff at ASU, people will be dumping their tickets online for cheap. If you really want to go to a game, check in later.

They can push the intimate crap all they want. This is still Arizona. There are what, a dozen or so regular posters here? There just aren't a lot of die hard fans in Arizona. It's a front runner town. Fans that show up either are there to see the visiting team or a winner. Location, intimate setting, world class arena, blah, blah, blah. It's all a bunch of bs. The owner wants to make money on the real estate, not attendance and the people will show up to support a winner. The arena dispute is just like politics. It has zero to do with what is actually talked about. Follow the money.

Reactions: Baby Doaner

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
lol, you two....

Reminds me of a lyric from the southwest's own Stan Ridgway (of Wall of Voodoo fame...Mexican Radio...):

"You know what Bert", Charlie said "you're a real loser...so I'll see you next week...if you live 'til then"

*describes Bert leaving the bar and getting squished by a piano*

"so if you're a loser in life, and your gun's out of ammo, just remember this story about Bert and the piano, Cause if you can't string the bow, and you're clean out of resin, someone may have planned for you a music lesson...."

- Stan Ridgway "Can't Complain"

Last edited:

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Yeah but after the first few weeks of the newness of the college arena being gone and everyone realizing it still sucks watching dog shit on the ice and what I imagine will be a parking nightmare which is most stuff at ASU, people will be dumping their tickets online for cheap. If you really want to go to a game, check in later.

They can push the intimate crap all they want. This is still Arizona. There are what, a dozen or so regular posters here? There just aren't a lot of die hard fans in Arizona. It's a front runner town. Fans that show up either are there to see the visiting team or a winner. Location, intimate setting, world class arena, blah, blah, blah. It's all a bunch of bs. The owner wants to make money on the real estate, not attendance and the people will show up to support a winner. The arena dispute is just like politics. It has zero to do with what is actually talked about. Follow the money.

The owner would like to make money from the entire project, including the arena.

Because spending $300+ million (whether it’s cash or debt assumption) for what you seem to consider is an intentional gigantic loss leader doesn’t make a whole lot of sense when he could simply build everything else and call it good.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
The owner would like to make money from the entire project, including the arena.

Because spending $300+ million (whether it’s cash or debt assumption) for what you seem to consider is an intentional gigantic loss leader doesn’t make a whole lot of sense when he could simply build everything else and call it good.
Come on man, you're smarter than that. He wouldn't get the city's cash/assistance for the project without the team. Bah, I don't even give a shit anymore. Sorry I brought it up and made you delete my fan's post and my response. My original post wasn't meant to stir anything up. Was just too long winded in pointing out that a crappy team won't sell here no matter how small the arena is and the prices will tank, just like the team is so he'll be able to buy tickets cheaper if he's patient imo.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Come on man, you're smarter than that. He wouldn't get the city's cash/assistance for the project without the team. Bah, I don't even give a shit anymore. Sorry I brought it up and made you delete my fan's post and my response. My original post wasn't meant to stir anything up. Was just too long winded in pointing out that a crappy team won't sell here no matter how small the arena is and the prices will tank, just like the team is so he'll be able to buy tickets cheaper if he's patient imo.
For someone who “doesn’t give a shit” you’re doing a lot of discussion about it.

I was pointing out the flaw in your logic.

There was another $1.8 billion project recently approved by Tempe just a few short months ago. No arena. Yet it’s getting the same kinds of public financing (GPLET and other vehicles) Meruelo is seeking.

And it didn’t need to buy a pro hockey team or pour $40 million into the local university, nor commit additional millions towards some of the city’s other interests as a preface to curry the city’s favor either.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad