Welcome to our new home - Xenforo Practice Thread

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I'm using Firefox Quantum and today embedded tweets stopped showing up.

Anyone else have this issue?

It happens to me occasionally on Firefox. At first it seemed more frequent but has been mostly OK lately.

I also notice it sometimes happens on my Kindle, so it may be something besides Firefox. Perhaps Tweets with videos sometimes take longer to show up?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Nope.

Using Firefox Quantum.

If embedded tweets aren't loading, you're probably blocking 3rd party cookies.

Firefox Desktop: Go to address bar move your cursor to the page info area and you'll be given the option to override the default security setting to allow the embedded content to load.
Firefox Mobile: settings, privacy, cookies

Chrome Desktop - settings, advanced, content, cookies
Chrome Mobile - settings, site settings, cookies

The Do Not Track setting essentially blocks 3rd party cookies. That can also interfere with embedded content loading.

For more details, other browsers see How to Block Third-Party Cookies in Every Web Browser (and do the opposite)

Lockheed

Scope Dope
Feb 1, 2007
SW Asia
If embedded tweets aren't loading, you're probably blocking 3rd party cookies.
I am not blocking cookies.

I see that if I turn uBlock off embedded tweets will display. However that means dealing with the obnoxious ads from this site.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
They need to pay the bills some how. So become a sponser or learn to deal with it.

You can’t have it both ways

A site with all the ridiculous ads like this one has deserves no money from anyone.

I can have it both ways, just need to switch my browser.

The ads are mandated by the owners of HFBoards and are inserted by a third party.

Cookies - Mandatory

Our ownership offers a sponsorship for $12 a year

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/account/upgrades

I pay the $12 and I am staff :laugh:

Lockheed

Scope Dope
Feb 1, 2007
SW Asia
I pay the $12 and I am staff
That's cool Fenway. I just don't feel HF deserves money the way the ads are, and I am fully aware that the ads are out of HF's control.

Work uses 4 different internet browsers, so switching over to Chrome won't be hard at all for me.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
That's cool Fenway. I just don't feel HF deserves money the way the ads are, and I am fully aware that the ads are out of HF's control.

Work uses 4 different internet browsers, so switching over to Chrome won't be hard at all for me.

The ads are mandated by ownership and that is out of the HF's staff control - all we can do is try and find a fix.

That said it is hard to argue with A DOLLAR A MONTH

Reactions: BruinLVGA

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

Wait. So you are at work, being paid by someone to do a job, but you are reading HF Boards? And you don't want to pay $12 ?

I love it!!

Lockheed

Scope Dope
Feb 1, 2007
SW Asia
The ads are mandated by ownership and that is out of the HF's staff control - all we can do is try and find a fix.

That said it is hard to argue with A DOLLAR A MONTH
Like I said, I know HF has zero control over the ad content. That's fine. My issue is that embedded tweets worked fine the past few months and now they do not. Paying money to fix an issue that wasn't there a few days ago isn't going to work for me. It's nothing against the people who put in volunteered hours to make the site run, despite what somebody tries to make it seem. If the site worked as intended and the ads were just a minor annoyance I would have no issue donating money. With the ads being as intrusive and sketchy as they are I would rather run an adblocker. Moving to another browser until a fix is found is not too big a deal to me.

I have posted the issue to the support forum and it seems others have ran into the same issue. So, hopefully a fix will be found shortly.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Like I said, I know HF has zero control over the ad content. That's fine. My issue is that embedded tweets worked fine the past few months and now they do not. Paying money to fix an issue that wasn't there a few days ago isn't going to work for me. It's nothing against the people who put in volunteered hours to make the site run, despite what somebody tries to make it seem. If the site worked as intended and the ads were just a minor annoyance I would have no issue donating money. With the ads being as intrusive and sketchy as they are I would rather run an adblocker. Moving to another browser until a fix is found is not too big a deal to me.

I have posted the issue to the support forum and it seems others have ran into the same issue. So, hopefully a fix will be found shortly.

I can't fix what I don't see - I need everyone's eyes to alert us if something wrong.

Lockheed

Scope Dope
Feb 1, 2007
SW Asia
The point he’s trying to get across is that nothing is free and, as a small courtesy, since we all enjoy posting here, a $12 annual investment is worth more than the principle of beating the ads by blocking them
I get that Chief. My main issue that I had originally brought up is that embedded tweets won't show up on Firefox with uBlock now. On Chrome that combination works fine(so that is the fix for now).

I just don't feel HF is worth $12 in it's current state. You and other folks can disagree with that and that is okay.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Sometimes I get ads that show up on top of embedded YouTube videos, and you have to click the X to see the video. Doesn't happen all the time but it's annoying when it does.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I get that Chief. My main issue that I had originally brought up is that embedded tweets won't show up on Firefox with uBlock now. On Chrome that combination works fine(so that is the fix for now).

I just don't feel HF is worth $12 in it's current state. You and other folks can disagree with that and that is okay.

That’s fine with me @Lockheed as well. You do have a choice. As a professional who works in tech I just like to point out that what people perceive as free always comes at a cost. Revenue has to come from someone or somewhere or it simply does not survive

Reactions: Lockheed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad