Post-Game Talk: Welcome to Edmonton, Macklin Celebrini!

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
That is how atrocious the cap management has been. They cannot even call up anyone without resorting to some sort of emergency usage. How the f*** that asshole GM still has a job, at a premium rate no less, is mind boggling.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yes...of course hockey is difficult to quantify by numbers. Thats not exactly ground breaking info.

That does not mean that there is no point in refining some data generating systems that are helpful.
The point of my post was that the HDSC metric (as it is being calculated on NST) is not accurate enough. The Cult of Hockey interpretation is more accurate based on my own viewings of the games.
So yes...I agree with your comment that the Cult of Hockey metric is a better tool.

I am simply bringing to light a website that many posters currently use as a source and how their current standards of criteria isnt accurate enough.

If you want to start a conversation about how hockey is too complex to bother with any of this (or how Cult of Hockey isnt worth watching) you can do that but thats not at all what I am trying to generate conversation about.
Do you have pause even for a moment to deduce what others are talking about? The conversation was about HDSC metric being inaccurate. Thats the discussion that was occurring. In general terms. I didn't see the discussion being around Cult of hockey until YOU brought it up, lol

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
They tried the hybrid MVM system last year but Vegas exploited the Oilers tendencies to break down while executing it.

Honestly I think we have a large group of offensively talented key players and defenders but who are incapable of playing high level defensive systems play at NHL speed.
agree, so they need to figure out a way to simplify it to play to their strength.......

unfortunately that requires a .92% goalie behind them

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I’m pretty sick of Erne. It’s pretty clear he brings nothing.

Poitras earned his call up in camp. Just like Benson.

Our players did not.

Poitras is not a product of a smart coaching decision.

Erne sucks for sure, but neither of our forwards deserved to be here either

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
honestly just fire schwartz and our goaltending will improve 10% almost instantaneously

Reactions: Duke74

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
agree, so they need to figure out a way to simplify it to play to their strength.......

unfortunately that requires a .92% goalie behind them

Bingo. A good coach (in my opinion) doesn’t try to ram square pegs into round holes but plays to a teams strengths — but every team has deficiencies.

Ours is goaltending at the moment and no system survives poor goaltending. In order to play a high tempo upgunned transition game which starts with ( good neutral zone play ) you must must must have a bail out goalie.

We don’t have that ergo we’re caught behind the proverbial rock and a hard place with how the boys are collectively wired to play and how (insert coach here) wants them to play and they don’t have a goaltending safety net.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
it’s oNLy gAmE OnE

it’s oNLy gAmE TwO

it’s oNLy gAmE tHrEe

it’s oNLy gAmE FoUr

it’s oNLy gAmE fIVe

it’s oNLy gAmE sIX

the only thing worse than the oilers are the portion of the fanbase that allow this bullshit

Vegas, Colorado, Boston are 6-0-0
What does that even mean? Are you insinuating that there is a portion of the fanbase that controls the Oilers performance like pulling the strings on a puppet? Wow, if that's the case, we should all get together and plead with them to make the Oilers more successful. :D

Reactions: Senor Catface

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Bingo. A good coach (in my opinion) doesn’t try to ram square pegs into round holes but plays to a teams strengths — but every team has deficiencies.

Ours is goaltending at the moment and no system survives poor goaltending. In order to play a high tempo upgunned transition game which starts with ( good neutral zone play ) you must must must have a bail out goalie.

We don’t have that ergo we’re caught behind the proverbial rock and a hard place with how the boys are collectively wired to play and how (insert coach here) wants them to play and they don’t have a goaltending safety net.

Our defense is a deficiency, it was terrible in the playoffs last year and it's terrible again this year, and frankly it was awful to start last season too and bad in the playoffs the previous year also.

It basically been OK for two 2nd half year stretches the last two seasons, and mediocre to terrible otherwise.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Not blaming Woody, time for the men to be men and do their jobs
This is also true.

Woody has to make adjustments in game and SHOW ACCOUNTABILITY. We can blame him for that. I kept reading that he has not done hard practices? That is TERRIBLE. Any championship team will tell you they went hard in practise because it prepares you for the game.

I have checked out the last few games, but the Oilers players need to NUT UP. They are professionals.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Sadly I’m not that upset, not enraged, just numb. Worst defensive team in the league. It was embarrassing watching the continuous tire fire in our own zone. Losses to Rags and Flames and I suspect Woody and Manson are done.
Then, bring on the next set of contestants, who will be working with the same pieces of shyte! Rinse and repeat, baby.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Even if they lose the next two games I don't think Woodcroft will be fired. Holland is slow moving and will wait until it's almost too late or too late. Also there's the built-in excuse of no-McDavid.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Even if they lose the next two games I don't think Woodcroft will be fired. Holland is slow moving and will wait until it's almost too late or too late. Also there's the built-in excuse of no-McDavid.
How many did it take tip again? 10 straight?

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
That is how atrocious the cap management has been. They cannot even call up anyone without resorting to some sort of emergency usage. How the f*** that asshole GM still has a job, at a premium rate no less, is mind boggling.

By this standard alone, about a third of the teams in the NHL, including a majority of contending teams should fire their GM.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
What does that even mean? Are you insinuating that there is a portion of the fanbase that controls the Oilers performance like pulling the strings on a puppet? Wow, if that's the case, we should all get together and plead with them to make the Oilers more successful. :D

I was always under the impression we were allowed to call other team's GMs as representatives of the Oilers to make trades.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Do you have pause even for a moment to deduce what others are talking about? The conversation was about HDSC metric being inaccurate. Thats the discussion that was occurring. In general terms. I didn't see the discussion being around Cult of hockey until YOU brought it up, lol
What I saw you doing (what you do on occasion) is redirect the conversation.

I didnt want the conversation to be about Cult of Hockey. Just used that as an example of how the HDSC criteria they used was more accurate than what Natural Stat Trick was doing.
You were the one who decided infuse your opinion of CofH and how what they did was of little or no value based on face off data. You made it about C of H.

We actually agree that determining advanced stat metrics is difficult. Its an obvious conclusion.
I am just saying that it is a worthwhile endeavor and it can be done better than NST was doing it.
The very site that is used on here quite often to support arguments.
Make sense?

Conversations with you are more effort than they need to be sometimes...lol

Last edited:
Reactions: TB12 and MessierII

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What I saw you doing (what you do on occasion) is redirect the conversation.

I didnt want the conversation to be about Cult of Hockey. Just used that as an example of how the HDSC criteria they used was more accurate than what Natural Stat Trick was doing.
You were the one who decided infuse your opinion of CofH and how what they did was of little or no value. You made it about C of H.
Make sense?

Conversations with you are more effort than they need to be sometimes...lol
In fairness applies to both of us. lol

Its harder to see our own parts. I'm sure as you say HDSC is a better metric. but you can probably understand that because I believe anayltics of any kind poorly quantify hockey my resolute opinion are they are limited. Perhaps getting better. I'll take a look sometime if bored.

Right now I'm making good soup with a bunch of stuff I was still able to haul out of garden before the frosts hit. I enjoy doing that more than perusing analytics. heh. I have a statistical background but never liked the courses.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
In fairness applies to both of us. lol

Its harder to see our own parts. I'm sure as you say HDSC is a better metric. but you can probably understand that because I believe anayltics of any kind poorly quantify hockey my resolute opinion are they are limited. Perhaps getting better. I'll take a look sometime if bored.

Right now I'm making good soup with a bunch of stuff I was still able to haul out of garden before the frosts hit. I enjoy doing that more than perusing analytics. heh. I have a statistical background but never liked the courses.
Believing that analytics of any kind poorly quantifies hockey is is fine but why then enter into a conversation about improving something you dont even believe in?
Thats exactly what I mean about redirecting a conversation. :nod:

In any event...yes...it is harder to see our own parts. So we can agree on that much at least. :laugh:

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Believing that analytics of any kind poorly quantifies hockey is is fine but why then enter into a conversation about improving something you dont even believe in?
Thats exactly what I mean about redirecting a conversation. :nod:

In any event...yes...it is harder to see our own parts. Maybe we can agree on that. :laugh:
People that don't believe in Religion discuss the same or interject. Or politics or economy, or philosophy etc. You get my point. Humans are fairly prone to discuss any and all things. I'm reminded of the couple sitting in the Restaurant in a Monty Python skit with Philosophy discussion menus. heh

I meant say as well that we both cheer for teams that frankly haven't been seeing great results. That can even grate on discussion sometimes as per the teams playing lousy. So that friction can even be partly about that experience. I do think again we agree a lot on other topics. You are the kind of person I figure I can sit down and have a cider with in anycase. So cheers.

I'll try to be less difficult.

Reactions: guymez

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
What if we waived Erne?

Anybody else could correct me if I'm wrong.
But yeah, I think that would work. Would Holland do it? Nope.
Erne taking a spot over the likes of Bourgault, Lavoie, and Pederson is just inexcusable. I have no idea what they think he brings to the NHL team, but eyetest and statwise, Erne has done jack shit to warrant staying in the NHL. At least Devin Shore last year was a well liked player in the room and was a 13th/14th forward. Erne? Disgusts me that he wears 21. Makes me miss seeing Kostin on this team even more.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I mean at this point I'd take Britney Spears as goaltending coach, any live human being at least has some statistical probability of being better than Schwartz, lulz.

Maybe her doing a dance class with the goalies may actually be more beneficial than whatever the f*** Schwartz is doing.

Britney or JT?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad