Post-Game Talk (GBU): Welcome the New Boss, Same Result as the Old Boss

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The funny

Posters posting lineups with Grigs/Girgs and some newly drafted kid as our top 3 centers. This from the same fan base that can't currently handle the ups and downs of Ennis/Hodgson learning to be top 6 centers.

I think a lot of fans think the IDEA of a rebuilt lineup with kids is something they would love. I'm betting the majority wouldn't have the patience to deal with the REALITY of it and the inevitable growing pains the players would go through.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
The funny

Posters posting lineups with Grigs/Girgs and some newly drafted kid as our top 3 centers. This from the same fan base that can't currently handle the ups and downs of Ennis/Hodgson learning to be top 6 centers.

Was thinking the same thing. lol

Would like to add Foligno will be lazy by then too, and Ennis a too small, giveaway machine, who can't play D and doesn't back-check. Luckily, we'll have a fresh new draft choice to put in the imaginary line-up by then.

i feel some sympathy toward rolston already. he has obviously been stuck with a room full of knuckleheads. good luck making lemonade out of straight piss.

..and has little experience to boot. Thrown to the wolves.

kcoxsabresfan

May 4, 2010
It's like they are in denial, they think they work hard, they think they have leadership..

To be fair, if a guy is in the NHL they probably know how to work pretty hard. There might be a guy or two who is phoning it in, Stafford maybe, but I think the truth is that many of these guys just aren't talented enough.

As far as leadership goes, I'm with you. Pommer, Vanek, and Miller are good hockey players, but they have never seemed like particularly good leaders. Ott and Regehr maybe, but they certainly aren't the go-to guys on this team.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
Yes I want him on the pp. He is 18, not 35. He should be in good enough shape to handle it--I admit he may not look too good on a lot of shifts as he tries to earn his spurs--but until he proves he is not ready we can lose just as easily with him as we are with the guys he might replace. Let the new coach figure out where he needs work from game conditions. With the games on tv there are a lot of timeouts as well to give the players short rests aside from resting during shifts. As a fan I want to be able to hope, to anticipate better days. The present lineup does not give me that....

When he starts contributing on a consistent basis actually no, when he starts putting forth a consistent effort and starts skating hard and hustling for pucks from the 3rd line against weak competition, then I'll put him on the top line against top defensive matchups.

JonathanWashington

Hockey in Cairo
Dec 26, 2004
Manhattan
The funny

I think a lot of fans think the IDEA of a rebuilt lineup with kids is something they would love. I'm betting the majority wouldn't have the patience to deal with the REALITY of it and the inevitable growing pains the players would go through.

I have to agree. Great point

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The stupid

Its blatantly obvious we need a defensive center and have since Goose and Roy left. Yet nothing has been done to address this. I know many posters want O'Reilly (I'm one of them) but there are other 3rd line defensive centers out there that we could target and acquire without entering into blockbuster trade territory.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
To be fair, if a guy is in the NHL they probably know how to work pretty hard. There might be a guy or two who is phoning it in, Stafford maybe, but I think the truth is that many of these guys just aren't talented enough.

As far as leadership goes, I'm with you. Pommer, Vanek, and Miller are good hockey players, but they have never seemed like particularly good leaders. Ott and Regehr maybe, but they certainly aren't the go-to guys on this team.

I would agree

I don't think they work hard as a group, they don't seem to pay attention to detail. For example,

Toronto outworks almost every team they play, New Jersey does as well.

dma0034

Jun 27, 2011
Buffalo, NY
The funny

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

I think some people think that since Crosby and Malkin had success in their first years that a player could be drafted and in his first year be an elite #1 center which just isn't the case. Often it takes time.

Then again a McKinnon - Hodgson - Grigorenko - Grigensons center situation doesn't seem so bad :naughty:

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I truly hate Stafford.

I wasn't even yelling at the TV while he stood there and watched Gerbe -vs- Phaneuf. I just shook my head in disgust and said typical. He is such a soft player mentally and physically. Its an embarrassment that he has an "A" on his jersey.

I'm just soo tired of the same crap every year from him. Darcy get rid of him.

He got so lucky to catch lightning in a bottle during his contract year. Dude has the talent to net at least 25 a year (in a normal season obviously) but just doesn't consistently put in the work to get it done IMO.
They should rip the A off his jersey and give it to kaleta

kcoxsabresfan

May 4, 2010
I would agree

I don't think they work hard as a group, they don't seem to pay attention to detail. For example,

Toronto outworks almost every team they play, New Jersey does as well.

Yeah, watching other teams bums me out. I jumped into the third periods of several games that ended after the sabres, including a couple of west coast matchups, and it is honestly like watching a different game. In a post-game interview the other day Ott attributed it to guys hesitating too much, but there is definitely also a lack of skill. I think your namesake is going to need to make some serious moves to be the GM of this team next year.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Completely disagree. So far he's been what the 3rd or 4th best defense man? Better than Myers this season. I see him being a 4/5 dman.

Sulzer cannot play defense at this level and is without question carried by Ehrhoff.

I'm amazed anyone that watches him get manhandled in our zone, losing 1 on 1 battles repeatedly on every shift, every night would even attempt to dispute this.

At best he is a bottom pairing 6/7 dman. He sure as hell shouldn't be getting the top 4 ice time he does. He played over 20mins tonight :laugh:. But our pathetic defense has no other options

Also Sulzer being better than some of the bums on this defense does not mean he is a NHL dman. Its a reflection of the pathetic state of our defense. Good teams don't have bums like him, who can't even man up and win a 1 on 1 battle, getting the minutes he's been getting.

Last edited:

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
This isn't the roster we will win with. WE KNOW THIS. THINK BIGGER PICTURE. at this point I want entertaining hockey and a high pick to throw in the pipeline for our 2016 team. Trade certain guys, yes, but come on people. Did you expect a force of a team to just magically appear? Big picture.

thefifagod

I'm The Survivor
Jul 3, 2008
The team would win more games if they called up McNabb and Pardy and played them over Brennan and Sulzer. I'd be willing to waive both of them to do it. Brennan is not an NHL defenseman and never will be in my opinion. I've never been a big fan and have seen nothing to convince me otherwise. He has a quality shot which has been erratic when he's in Buffalo and nothing else. Sulzer has been getting carried by Ehrhoff and while I wouldn't mind having him as the 7th, this team would be better off with Pardy or McNabb in the lineup. I'd be most comfortable with a defense of Ehrhoff, Myers, Sekera, Regehr, McNabb and Pardy with Weber as the 7th, assuming Leopold gets traded at the deadline.

ryanbiggame*

Blow it up...with a new GM

Regier should be fired ALONE for the Leino contract. He gave it to him knowing full well he had hip problems.

Why because he took a chance on a good player when healthy? That's like John elway passing on Peyton because he had neck surgeries, or someone passing on Marcus Lattimore bexause he will never play again. They will be health again and play, take chances. You probably never played poker.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Why because he took a chance on a good player when healthy? That's like John elway passing on Peyton because he had neck surgeries, or someone passing on Marcus Lattimore bexause he will never play again. They will be health again and play, take chances. You probably never played poker.

Reiger screwed up on Leino...no way around that... and Leino is no Peyton Manning.

That said...all GM's have bad moves on their resume...it doesn't qualify for his removal

BCS

Feb 18, 2008
That said...all GM's have bad moves on their resume...it doesn't qualify for his removal

Does the horrendous hockey team Darcy has iced, despite having the advantage of a bloated payroll, qualify for his removal? The bottom line is that it's a results-based business and the results are utterly pathetic. Regier has done some good work over the years, but after a decade and a half, his time is up - just as Ruff's was.

Sean McG

Dec 27, 2009
Niagara on the Lake, ON
Seems like most of us have forgotten that Vanek had three point blank chances that he almost always buries, Hodgson probably scores that bouncing puck outside of the crease more often than not, and Ott's waived off goal could've very easily gone the other way.

I'm not trying to make excuses for them, because they still got outplayed and looked flat for large stretches, but we're acting like they didn't get a shot on goal. Couple of bounces go our way and the tune around here is completely different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad