Post-Game Talk (GBU): Welcome the New Boss, Same Result as the Old Boss

Clock

May 13, 2006
This isn't the roster we will win with. WE KNOW THIS. THINK BIGGER PICTURE. at this point I want entertaining hockey and a high pick to throw in the pipeline for our 2016 team. Trade certain guys, yes, but come on people. Did you expect a force of a team to just magically appear? Big picture.

I like the cut of your jib, 'buds.

It's a build. Let it happen. Some pretty serious Rangers-itis around here.

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
The funny

Posters posting lineups with Grigs/Girgs and some newly drafted kid as our top 3 centers. This from the same fan base that can't currently handle the ups and downs of Ennis/Hodgson learning to be top 6 centers.

I think a lot of fans think the IDEA of a rebuilt lineup with kids is something they would love. I'm betting the majority wouldn't have the patience to deal with the REALITY of it and the inevitable growing pains the players would go through.

I completely endorse this line of thinking, and think it is spot on.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Hodgson is NOT and never will be a first line centre--he gives the puck away too much, he lacks first line speed, and while no pushover has no edge to him. Play him on the second line because that is where he will or ought end up.
I disagree with your first sentence, but, regardless, Hodgson is 1st line on the Sabres because they lack a better option, and, more importantly, it is madness to think another NHL team would send BUF a legit #1 center, because, you know, #1 Centers are just so abundant.

Stafford has to get off whatever soporific he is on.
I had to look up soporific. Kudos to you. I'm not a lexicographer, but it's rare I need help with vocabulary. No disagreement here.

I do not like seeing our "enforcer" getting beat up--that demoralizes the team.
My view is Scott tried to fight (I believe unprovoked, but I did not see the behind-the-play develop) at the end of his shift, in a likely attempt to spark his team. So it backfired. He's not paid to score goals. He's doing what he's paid to do. To me, others on the team, not doing what they are paid to do, and when given way more ice time, is more demoralizing.

It is time to play Grigs 20 minutes with linemates who fit in with what we want him to be.
So Grigs is Pierre Turgeon redux? Are those linemates on the team now? Ah, nevermind.

We need a steady defenceman with wheels who can cover/recover when others screw up--from what I have seen of him that is Pysyk. He is not big and not physical but he does get in the way, he is not easily beaten one on one, and he can get back in position quickly if he loses position.

Give Miller a rest. Bring up Leggio and throw him in--not fair to Enroth who has not played enough to get thrown in here.
What? Enroth is the backup. He plays if Miller doesn't. "Not fair to Enroth?" "Not played enough to get thrown in there?" He's fairly paid to be an NHL backup goalie. Which he is fair at doing, save for a 5-hole wide as a fairway.

Work the snot out of this team--they seem to lack gas. I am sorry but do not believe that over the summer they suddenly got slower than the Leafs (and every other team they have played lately). They need to see the play around them and react instantly--only high speed practices will get them back to doing this.

This year is short and the pain will not be as prolonged as in a full season--so start thinking medium and long term. I will accept losing if we have Grigs, Gergs, Pysyk, MacNabb, Leggio, getting some good developmental opportunities.
Aside from the better part of the first period against TOR, yes they were outskated, but I attribute the initial burst to emotion after the firing, as I similar attribute their later-period collapse. I agree they are routinely outworked. Nothing I've read or seen suggests Leggio is future-NHL-caliber. But, yes, let's get NHL time for all of them with an interim coach, rather than writing off the season, starting the coach search now, (and GM search if that's what Terry & Ted want), and bring the youngsters in to a fresh start atmosphere where the air is cleared and free-er of the malaise and "smell of death".

I don't get it.

The team is much better than what they're letting on. Look at the first ten minutes, it was a completely different team. Mother ****ing stafford was doing work along the boards, WINNING puck battles, creating chances. They were passing better. Much better. THEY HAD A BREAKOUT.

Then they just quit. Why?

I will never understood.

BLOW IT UP. GET RID OF EVERYBODY.
Agree with bolded. Emotional energy ran out.

Rob:
Your evaluation of how good those players are might be right on--but I do not like what I see on the team and would like to see what a hungry player or players without the multimillion millstone around his/their neck(s) might do given a chance. I sometimes rejected a more talented player on my teams for a guy who hated to lose and who worked his butts off. Ever watch the Sabres end their shifts? I would kick their ass for cruising to the bench on line changes...If they are tired they should have been off the ice sooner...
Agree. I don't have DVR so can't tell you when exactly, but Vanek, 1st period, stops skating and starts coasting at his own offensive (Leaf) blue line headed back to the Sabre bench. The Leaf fwds were all ready to cross the sabre blue line, and the toronto D were parallel with him moving up on the play, and he is not even moving his legs from the knee down in a half-stride. He's good for that a few times a game.

Even odds they simply played a pre-recorded best-of montage rant from Lindy from prior games.

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
He got so lucky to catch lightning in a bottle during his contract year. Dude has the talent to net at least 25 a year (in a normal season obviously) but just doesn't consistently put in the work to get it done IMO.
They should rip the A off his jersey and give it to kaleta

I agree. Gave up on him a few years ago, despite an occasional burst of seeming to 'get it'. There is no justification for him having an 'A". He simply lacks the drive, passion and commitment to playing a complete and competitive game.

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
This isn't the roster we will win with. WE KNOW THIS. THINK BIGGER PICTURE. at this point I want entertaining hockey and a high pick to throw in the pipeline for our 2016 team. Trade certain guys, yes, but come on people. Did you expect a force of a team to just magically appear? Big picture.

Somewhat mutually exclusive.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
The funny

Posters posting lineups with Grigs/Girgs and some newly drafted kid as our top 3 centers. This from the same fan base that can't currently handle the ups and downs of Ennis/Hodgson learning to be top 6 centers.

I think a lot of fans think the IDEA of a rebuilt lineup with kids is something they would love. I'm betting the majority wouldn't have the patience to deal with the REALITY of it and the inevitable growing pains the players would go through.

I'm all patience at this point (until they do something that isn't in line with rebuilding, like trading the future for Iginla or something)

I got years of patience prepped and ready ;)

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
The funny

This is why I don't post future line-ups. They are impossible to predict and just look flat out silly and video-game like.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I'm all patience at this point (until they do something that isn't in line with rebuilding, like trading the future for Iginla or something)

I'm thinking back to the Shane Doan summer saga. Regier had to know how listless and leaderless this group is. A guy like Doan, cap number notwithstanding, might have been a huge locker room addition.

I wouldn't trade for Iginla if it compromised the rebuild. I would trade for him in a Butler/Bryon type deal. I'd also resign him. I'd make the move simply for the leadership he'd provide. It wouldn't be the only move I'd make (I'd try to get O'Reilly, Brian Boyle, etc), but Buffalo definitely needs a leader.

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
I'm thinking back to the Shane Doan summer saga. Regier had to know how listless and leaderless this group is. A guy like Doan, cap number notwithstanding, might have been a huge locker room addition.

I wouldn't trade for Iginla if it compromised the rebuild. I would trade for him in a Butler/Bryon type deal. I'd also resign him. I'd make the move simply for the leadership he'd provide. It wouldn't be the only move I'd make (I'd try to get O'Reilly, Brian Boyle, etc), but Buffalo definitely needs a leader.

He got all of those Doan qualities in Ott. Great trade. Ott has been fantastic and deserves the 'C'. He typifies much of what is currently wrong with this team. Problem is you cannot fix a problem this systemic with just one guy. Takes multiple moves and time.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

Certainly part of the reason O'Reilly makes a lot of sense for us. Who'd stand in his way on the path to being the team's leader? Please. Poms may keep the C, but everyone would know whose team this is. Right now, they're a rudderless ship. Vanek can lead with his play at times, but then sags back in to the crowd when things aren't going well. It's tough for the goaltender to be your leader.

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
Not at all. They can entertain with effort and hard work and just not be good, results wise.

That's why I said somewhat mutually exclusive. Increased effort and hustle would be entertaining and welcomed for a bit because it has been so lacking. We are even at the point where a single shift of effort looks brilliant.

But IMO, increased effort and hard work would only serve as a temporary distraction and relief from the current pain of watching this team.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
He got all of those Doan qualities in Ott. Great trade. Ott has been fantastic and deserves the 'C'. He typifies much of what is currently wrong with this team. Problem is you cannot fix a problem this systemic with just one guy. Takes multiple moves and time.

Ott was a good add. The problem was what Regier did to get him: broke up the three-center mix that worked well last year, and subsequently failed to replace Roy. That's why I still have reservations about that deal.

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
I loved the first 10 minutes then I felt like they just kind of fell back into their old lazy habits and the Lindy Ruff sit back in a shell style.

I'm going to give Rolsten some time to correct this hopefully and we will see. He's got years and years of bad habits to break them out of. It won't happen overnight.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
That's why I said somewhat mutually exclusive. Increased effort and hustle would be entertaining and welcomed for a bit because it has been so lacking. We are even at the point where a single shift of effort looks brilliant.

But IMO, increased effort and hard work would only serve as a temporary distraction and relief from the current pain of watching this team.

Not at all. We could lose out, and I'd be happy if we did so while looking like we tried and cared a bit. I say that because I know that this isn't the year we win the Cup.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Ott was a good add. The problem was what Regier did to get him: broke up the three-center mix that worked well last year, and subsequently failed to replace Roy. That's why I still have reservations about that deal.

Well said

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Might be a good reason to fire Darcy now rather than later if ownership has any concern about him as the GM. If he's worried about his job security, he very well could try to make that kind of desperation move and screw us over for the future on his way out the door.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Might be a good reason to fire Darcy now rather than later if ownership has any concern about him as the GM. If he's worried about his job security, he very well could try to make that kind of desperation move and screw us over for the future on his way out the door.
Darcy wouldn't do that. Believe it or not, he's classy too.

There's no reason for him to make a desperation move.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Vaguely thinking of last night's game, and I just got pretty irritated by how it went. They looked so sharp in terms of energy and offensive possession in the 1st. Yeah, the same issues in their zone were there, but the top two lines had dominating offensive shifts and the bottom 6 looked pretty strong in spots. Then Dr. Jeckyl goes off to read his nerd books (or whatever doctors do, the nerds) and Mr. Hyde came to take a big steaming dump at center ice.

You just have to wonder what it is that can get these guys to play high-energy, confident shifts throughout the majority of a game. There's no reason they shouldn't be able to and I don't buy that "they don't care" because I don't think anyone who has played high level sports buys that, so I don't.

Now, if they do it, are they a great team? No, they'd still have defensive problems and they wouldn't be an elite Chicago or Boston type of team without further building down the line. But they'd be competitive with any team, they'd be a low seed team, and they wouldn't be depressing to watch.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Certainly part of the reason O'Reilly makes a lot of sense for us. Who'd stand in his way on the path to being the team's leader? Please. Poms may keep the C, but everyone would know whose team this is. Right now, they're a rudderless ship. Vanek can lead with his play at times, but then sags back in to the crowd when things aren't going well. It's tough for the goaltender to be your leader.

Completely agree. I'd trade for O'Reilly, and let him, Hodgson, and Foligno lead the team. They'll get great support from Girgensons, McCabe, Pysyk, and McNabb.

Over time, the leadership of the team will transition to the names mentioned above, and things will get better. Adding O'Reilly begins the process.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad