Player Discussion Welcome Gustav Lindström

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Kind of make you wonder why Detroit wasn’t the 3rd team in the deal…

Red Wings don't have a Hoffman and Pitlick to be as enticing. :sarcasm:

Honestly, it's surely because it's easier for them to get Petry @ 2.3M in a separate deal through Habs than it would to get him @ 4.6M directly through Pens. Even though Red Wings have more cap space than Montreal has, it is still better to get him at a reduced cap hit so Yzerman has a little more room to work with if he needs to make more moves.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I don't understand the pro scouts' math here.
70% of zero is also equivalent to 100% of zero, so why undersell him?

I've read if he loses the half-second to make his play he is absolute garbage.
Even as a bottom third team I don't think we should have a lot of patience with a player displaying such a deal breaking flaw, when Barron needs playtime in the NHL/AHL and Mailloux needs big minutes in Laval (assuming Reinbacher is playing in Switzerland).
On paper, I can't even see a single reason to play him ahead of Kovacevic. Less physical and no better offensively.

I can't possibly imagine getting more than a 5th before the TDL even if he were to "look NHL level", so give those minutes to the players that are actually in our long term plan. His former GM blindsided him 6 weeks after signing him, and we owe him nothing beyond 950k pesos.

Harsh but if we start attempting to please every player that were ever under contract with the Montreal Canadiens, our prospects will be hindered. That's where the line has to be drawn.
Nice to see you’re posting here Mr. Lefebrve! Hope things are going well!

DiglettDangles

Feb 15, 2020
Montreal
Nice to see you’re posting here Mr. Lefebrve! Hope things are going well!
What do you disagree with in my post?
I am not ready to invest in Lindström's potential development given how low his ceiling is, at the expense of better prospects we already invested in. It's healthier to recognize when you should fold, figuratively.
Doesn't mean I'm a dumb coach with no developmental results to show for, and very questionable life choices 😅
I don't suppose I'll read you here defending Lindström after training camp. Feel free to wait another month before losing your current unsubstantiated optimism.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Would be nice if Xhekaj could play the right side. Because even if he beats out Harris, he'll have some stiff competition on the left from Matheson, Guhle, and Hutson, plus Engstrom.
What's the problem if he's better than one of them as you seem to think? I like Xhekaj but I don't understand the hype here to give him a free pass.

Reactions: SlafySZN

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
What's the problem if he's better than one of them as you seem to think? I like Xhekaj but I don't understand the hype here to give him a free pass.

I don't understand what you're saying. 8 was saying I don't see Xhekaj beating out Matheson, Guhle, Hutson (if he makes it as a dman), or perhaps even Engstrom. So, I hope Xhekaj can play the right side.

Reactions: GrandBison

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
I don't understand what you're saying. 8 was saying I don't see Xhekaj beating out Matheson, Guhle, Hutson (if he makes it as a dman), or perhaps even Engstrom. So, I hope Xhekaj can play the right side.
Sorry, my bad, Xhekaj's hype here is real and I misinterpreted your post. I don't think Xhekaj game could translate well on his wrong side. Harris is a better candidate for that imo.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Sorry, my bad, Xhekaj's hype here is real and I misinterpreted your post. I don't think Xhekaj game could translate well on his wrong side. Harris is a better candidate for that imo.
Sitting in the pressbox can be done from the right side, I see no issue.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I like Xhekaj 's potential. In addition to the imposing physical pkay he has great hands for stick handling and offensive instincts.

BUT, he has to learn the nuances of play in his own zone and breaking out. The good news is, he himself said in his post season presser that he now sees that what makes a great NHL Dman are those little things, more than the flashy plays. So he's setting out to work on them. I look forward to seeing where he can take his game over the next few years... we'll see...

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
I like Xhekaj 's potential. In addition to the imposing physical pkay he has great hands for stick handling and offensive instincts.

BUT, he has to learn the nuances of play in his own zone and breaking out. The good news is, he himself said in his post season presser that he now sees that what makes a great NHL Dman are those little things, more than the flashy plays. So he's setting out to work on them. I look forward to seeing where he can take his game over the next few years... we'll see...
I like his potential too. We're lucky to have a young core like that with good candidates for 2-3-4 d in a near future. Building an environment where they develop a healthy competition is not a problem. I think a lot of "rushing a prospect" problems could be attributed to relying on the player too early without having him to compete for his ice time. As for the current crew, some of them will step up their game and it's not yet totally clear which ones.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022

Xhekaj will be on the team because every other (more talented) Habs player want him on the roster so they don’t have to deal with players like Kassian or Wilson.

Reactions: GrandBison

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
I feel Xhekaj really wants to improve and he listens to the coaching staff. He's a good kid, serious in his approach with assets not often found. He could indeed be recycled as a 4th liner and I would'nt be surprised we had our own Maroon+ but i like his punishing nature as a D...

'you shall not pass' / 'don't touch my goalie' with authority and ability to enforce has a lot of value... i mean, a lot...

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

As other people said - cap space.

But I'd also extend that they just had 3 2nd round picks, they've been rebuilding for awhile, they aren't in a future asset accumulation mode anymore and I think they want to send that message to their team as well.

Reactions: 3rd Username

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
I think Lindstrom might surprise. Just a question, Red Wings fans say he lacks that "fraction of second" to be effective; hence, they expect him to move to the SHL pretty soon. What does it really mean?

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
I think Lindstrom might surprise. Just a question, Red Wings fans say he lacks that "fraction of second" to be effective; hence, they expect him to move to the SHL pretty soon. What does it really mean?
It means he's (still) too slow to react at the NHL pace, which is a common issue with prospects.

Slaf had the same problem last year. He knows what to do and how to do it, but he couldn't do it enough at the pace of an NHL game to be effective - so he was just following along instead of taking the initiative on plays.

Some players come from junior and immediate "think" the game fast enough to play in the NHL. Some people never manage to do it, even if they have all the other tools. Most of the time, it takes some adaptation.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I have a pun. If he plays guitar, does he strom the chords?
Ok seriously, hope he starts in Laval and who knows, improve and prove he belongs to the LNH.

Barron and Savard will be RD in the top 4. He's battling Kovy, but for the third pairing and Kovy is easy to beat.
Not so easy. I think Kovy is underrated. Last 2 years the defensive problem was because forwards did an horrible job in their zone.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
There is nothing to wonder about for many reasons including cap space, disposable players/salary and the simple fact that they couldn't take Petry at 4.6M as opposed to the 2.3M that they ended up getting him for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad