GDT: Welcome Back Game 29: Nashville @ Columbus, 7 PM EST

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Necessary statement: I like Laine, I'm excited for him to reach his potential. But he hasn't done it yet as a Blue Jacket. The reality of Laine mostly hasn't been that good. Tonight he was good, let's see him do that more.

Better possession, more goals, more assists, fewer goals against. Bjorkstrand has massively outproduced Laine since Laine was acquired. In total obviously, but also per game. Pretty much better at everything since the trade.

Made the playoffs every year. The record with Laine is awful. If you think it is silly to compare team records for different players, well I agree!

Elite abilities, sure. But if we're talking about what the players have actually contributed to the actual Blue Jackets, Laine has about 15 goals as a Blue Jacket. That's it. Why don't you wait until he scores a few more? Why don't you wait until he has more than like 5 primary points this year?
You forgot a few things:

1. Bjork has known the Torts system, Laine arrived during the COVID season.
2. Remember Bjork's first seasons under Torts.
3. When Bjork started the rosters was better, which helped him, as did the fact that no one expected instant results from him, he was given time to develop.
4. I'll mention it again, a COVID season with its limitations.

And finally, take a look at Lars' press release where he says about him his years before:

As far as this season is concerned, it`s impossible to compare a player with 10 games with a players who played 29 games, maybe a little less, especially if it was in a critical period for the team. And at this time, our best two-way forward was Alex Texier. Of course IMHO.

Also, the season is not over yet and Patrik has to prove his qualities not only in a few matches. So don't take it as a claiming he is better than Bjork, but just as things you forgot when judging his play last season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ippenator

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Why are we pitting our players against each other!!!?? :whine:

After a win!!!?? :scared:

BOTH Bjorkstrand and Laine need to pick up their games and keep them there consistently. :dunno:

All this talk is clearly to keep the focus off all the CROW that Texier is delivering, with or without taking all the (undeserved) positive things said about Roslovic into account. :nod:

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I respect your points but I think it's flawed.

You are looking at one awful season on an awful team with a coach that clearly needed to go. How about we look at Laine's stats from the previous years he was in the NHL?

Oh, the irony.

If only that “coach that clearly needed to go” had his entire tenure as CBJ coach graded or looked at as his reality or reputation, and not 1 bad year…

Reactions: Monstershockey

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
And to add, at what point do we start to put more blame for last years bad year on the poor defensive play/execution we still see on the ice from this group of players, and not on the “coaching” aka Torts!?!

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
When I made my claim that Tex is our best offensive player, I meant the last month or two.

He’s been a player we’ve missed since Bread, someone who makes an exciting play any time he’s got the puck. The combination of his speed, puck handling, passing is finally coming to fruition and he’s becoming a threat any time he’s on the ice

I for one, am quite glad he was sent to the AHL to find his game, the way many wanted….:D

Keduzin

May 5, 2009
When I made my claim that Tex is our best offensive player, I meant the last month or two.

He’s been a player we’ve missed since Bread, someone who makes an exciting play any time he’s got the puck. The combination of his speed, puck handling, passing is finally coming to fruition and he’s becoming a threat any time he’s on the ice

You could of course have mentioned that 1-2 month timeframe in your first post when ”comparing” Laine and Texier. I would have to agree that Laine probably has not been the Jackets best offensive player during the last 1-2 months…..

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I couldn’t tell. I think genuine concern. And it might have been more to check his equipment than a concussion check.
Maybe also to ensure that the goalie isn't able to cheat playing with a loose mask. Rittich could have acted like everything's fine with his equipment but just when the Jackets were about to make zone entry again he would have taken his helmet off and the whistle would have been blown. A way to kill valuable seconds on PK.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I couldn’t tell. I think genuine concern. And it might have been more to check his equipment than a concussion check.

Why would you want to pull the backup? Was Soros in the Protocol?

Wrong quote but y'all get the point.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Oh, the irony.

If only that “coach that clearly needed to go” had his entire tenure as CBJ coach graded or looked at as his reality or reputation, and not 1 bad year…
Torts wanted to leave the team. It`s a fact. The second thing is that it doesn't affect his coaching, because he is a professional and always did his job 100%.
About Laine I would recommend the video with Lars, see above. I set the minutes exactly. He explained there the reasons for his play last season.

After a win!!!?? :scared:

BOTH Bjorkstrand and Laine need to pick up their games and keep them there consistently. :dunno:

All this talk is clearly to keep the focus off all the CROW that Texier is delivering, with or without taking all the (undeserved) positive things said about Roslovic into account. :nod:
I don't think anyone is deliberately pitting players against each other. It's just that they were compared. Nevertheless, it is clear to everyone that both are needed and are best when they are in the best possible form. As for Texier, he is finally starting to show his potential. True, since he is good in NS hockey, I think he should be put with similar players, not those who prefer positional play, combinations.

Last edited:

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Oh, the irony.

Last season alone obviously doesn't define Torts as a coach or make the good seasons of the past disappear, but if anyone thinks whatever it was Torts was trying to do last season was helping the team, I don't know what to say. And I like the guy, I really do, for the most part. But how he handled things last season was atrocious, though in defence of him PLD quitting really changed the situation from what he signed up for.

It's not really any different from Laine, he got into a difficult situation and after some initial signs of promise had a horrible season. That doesn't make his good seasons or talent disappear, or define him as a player, not even as a CBJ player really because this team is very different from the one last year. So far he's been very good mostly, but he's also played only 10 games so there's really not much to go by. Obviously the talent is there, it's not a case it was in his Jets sweater and now we gotta wait and see if there's any in his Jackets one :) It's more about how he can adapt and work with the team and players surrounding him and vice versa.

EDIT: fixed a grammar/language brainfart

Last edited:

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
About Laine I would recommend the video with Lars, see above. I set the minutes exactly. He explained there the reasons for his play last season.

He was talking about Texier there. Maybe you misunderstood or set the time stamp wrong (I didn't watch the full video or what came before or after that portion you linked).

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
And to add, at what point do we start to put more blame for last years bad year on the poor defensive play/execution we still see on the ice from this group of players, and not on the “coaching” aka Torts!?!

Certainly there is enough blame to go around for last season, but despite some of the same/similar struggles, it also seems pretty clear how much better this year group of players and coaches is as a team. It's also a younger and more inexperienced group of players, so struggles are to be expected. The difference is there's never/very rarely a feeling of complete tire fire on ice, or everyone getting deflated after a mistake - usually even after the horrible lapses they get their shit back together and stay in the game, which is a stark contrast to last season. It's just all around a lot more fun experience for everyone, the vibe is completely different. Not that all of last season's bad juju was on Torts, but I think he could've handled things a lot better to help with it instead of just making things worse.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

This is becoming your favorite line since I called you out for doing it and now you've used the term a few times now to try to turn it around to support whatever PITY PARTY you've been on for a bit now.

There's a difference betweeen saying one of our players has played better than another (such as the Bjorkstrand vs Laine debate) versus saying this player SUCKS just because "YOU" have a personal preference for another (ie: Korpi vs Elvis and Jones vs Zach).

Maybe I'd take your comments more seriously if you'd stay focused on the points you are trying to make because they can be legit and supported with facts (yes Elvis has a few obvious flaws in his game that he needs work on) and stay away from the "WOE IS ME" comments you make just because people sometimes don't agree with your opinions.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
OK unlazied myself and checked, he talks about Laine from about 1min to the point where you linked the video. It's only about this game & season though.
There was somewhere that Patrik lives hockey, in the past he had problems with confidence, but now he has calmed down, he can train well and his problem was never laziness or lack of work ethic, etc.

Reactions: Ippenator

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
Hi Guys! Just stopping in to say how much I enjoy watching Texier play. Kid has some sick swagger and truly game breaking skills. You guys are lucky to have him! One thing that stood out to me while looking at his Hockey Reference page, was his oZS%. It's only 24.4%! Crazy to think he's now potted 10 goals starting 3/4 of the time in his own end. Cool stat, fun player, enjoy!

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Hi Guys! Just stopping in to say how much I enjoy watching Texier play. Kid has some sick swagger and truly game breaking skills. You guys are lucky to have him! One thing that stood out to me while looking at his Hockey Reference page, was his oZS%. It's only 24.4%! Crazy to think he's now potted 10 goals starting 3/4 of the time in his own end. Cool stat, fun player, enjoy!
Texier has certainly elevated his game. His early play had fans excited but he found himself in a funk for quite a stretch, even in the early games this year. The lull was probably a combination of his injuries and confidence drop, but his game seemed resurrected playing with Kuraly and Robinson and the skills he once showed are on display again.

Your reference to swagger is on point and likely confirms he’s again confident and more mature with age and experience. Others may disagree, but I think Larsen’s greater tolerance of mistakes helps a guy like Tex who is best when he plays freely and instinctively.

One thing is certain - he’s damned fun to watch when he’s on his game.

rotsbu

Feb 14, 2020
Fun game last night. The CBJ are now 3-0 with me in the building this year. You're all welcome :sarcasm:

More seriously, I was shocked Tex was not at least 2nd star last night. Not only did he show up on the stat sheet in a big way, he was great all over the ice. I don't like calling professional athletes kids, but I'll do it: So happy this kid has turned his season around...and perhaps turned the corner into reaching his tantalizing potential.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Otherwise, this is what we missed, players of the opponent concentrated on one player, thanks to which an overnumbering could have been created. And I'd point out a pretty underrated pass by Boone Jenner.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad