Recalled/Assigned: Weiss assigned to AHL for conditioning stint (Recalled, Skating with Wings Post #189)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Unless he becomes a distraction.. Weiss wont be bought out until MAYBE the final year.. maybe.. I cant see us taking that cap hit for that long..

Khan posted this yesterday....

It's important for the Red Wings to see what a healthy Weiss can do. After this season he still has three years remaining on his contract at $4.9 million per season. If they don't think he can be effective they likely will buy out the final three years in June.

For anyone who has followed Khan's reporting over the years, it's clear that's not an opinion of his that he pulled out of the sky. The Wings have hinted this to him, off the record.

Now, what will Weiss's situation have to look like at the end of the season for the Wings to believe he "can't be effective" anymore? That's up for debate. But my guess is that situation would be Weiss failing to solidify a top-9 spot by the end of the season. If he doesn't, I think the Wings will indeed buy him out. It's not their style, traditionally, but $4.9M is a big cap hit for three more years to just have a guy sit on IR, or be playing in GR. And if he's not playing regularly by the end of this season, that will be 3+ years since he was last healthy and effective. And he'll be 32yo. Not much upside left at that point.

His cap hit, if he's bought out this summer, would be:

15/16 - $1,066,667
16/17 - $1,066,667
17/18 - $2,566,667
18/19 - $1,666,667
19/20 - $1,666,667
20/21 - $1,666,667

That's very manageable, especially if the cap goes up most years. Looks a lot better than $4.9M for 3 years, if the Wings do decide he can't be effective.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
he was being set up to fail to begin with though

the guy doesn't play hockey for how long and then they expect him to walk into preseason and wow them while playing with the likes of Kevin Porter?

Agreed 100%

Babcock sometimes puts players with his top guys to "get them going," but with Weiss it's practically the opposite. It doesn't make much sense. Weiss was never the kind of player that would make these outstanding plays by himself, fitness through 2 defenders, and roof it top shelf. Give him some decent talent around him and see if he can still produce...

This is all off-base, he wasn't being set up to fail in any way. It didn't matter who he played with. He was still getting up to speed, and the Wings wanted to see the basics/fundamentals out of him; winning battles, hustle, hockey sense, compete level.... if he couldn't demonstrate those qualities, which he did not, playing with Kevin Porter or Pavel Datsyuk is irrelevant.

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
This is all off-base, he wasn't being set up to fail in any way. It didn't matter who he played with. He was still getting up to speed, and the Wings wanted to see the basics/fundamentals out of him; winning battles, hustle, hockey sense, compete level.... if he couldn't demonstrate those qualities, which he did not, playing with Kevin Porter or Pavel Datsyuk is irrelevant.

Unfortunately the reality is, the majority of this board is off-base when it comes to Stephen Weiss. People around here have some very unrealistic expectations of the guy, who, for all intents and purposes, has missed 2 years of hockey. Case in point, a friend of mine plays the guitar. He played day in day out for like 10 years. A while back he injured his hand and stopped playing. When he picked it up again, he was rusty as hell, but he hadn't lost that ability to play. It took some practice (and in that case, practice means actually playing, unlike hockey) but he eventually got back up to speed.

Weiss has probably been playing hockey for 20+ years, 11 of which (excluding the last two) have been at the highest level in the world. It's gonna take some time (and by that I mean actual game time) to get his form back. The issues he's having can be anything. His timing could be off, he could be clutching cause he feels the urgency to impress Babs, he could be apprehensive because he's worried about reinjuring himself, etc. One thing it is not though, he hasn't suddenly forgotten how to play hockey. Lastly, anybody on this board who truly cares about this team should be rooting for this guy, not against.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Unfortunately the reality is, the majority of this board is off-base when it comes to Stephen Weiss. People around here have some very unrealistic expectations of the guy, who, for all intents and purposes, has missed 2 years of hockey. Case in point, a friend of mine plays the guitar. He played day in day out for like 10 years. A while back he injured his hand and stopped playing. When he picked it up again, he was rusty as hell, but he hadn't lost that ability to play. It took some practice (and in that case, practice means actually playing, unlike hockey) but he eventually got back up to speed.

Weiss has probably been playing hockey for 20+ years, 11 of which (excluding the last two) have been at the highest level in the world. It's gonna take some time (and by that I mean actual game time) to get his form back. The issues he's having can be anything. His timing could be off, he could be clutching cause he feels the urgency to impress Babs, he could be apprehensive because he's worried about reinjuring himself, etc. One thing it is not though, he hasn't suddenly forgotten how to play hockey. Lastly, anybody on this board who truly cares about this team should be rooting for this guy, not against.

You make a good point about rooting for him, but the posters here like to write players off very quickly for no reason.

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
You make a good point about rooting for him, but the posters here like to write players off very quickly for no reason.

Indeed. I've personally had my doubts at times myself, especially after he got injured during the Griffins game. That said, writing him off and calling him a bum is way too premature. Anyone who doubts his ability to play can go look at vids of the Panthers in the 2012 playoffs, where he was one of the best players on the ice, on a Panthers team that surprised the heck out of everyone. Or they can go read some of the Panthers archives from years past where he was the only guy deserving praise most nights.

I think you touched on a larger problem with this board in general, in that everyone is only interested in instant gratification. Perhaps, it's the result of being populated primarily by millenials, I don't know. But Stephen Weiss, much like this team as a whole, is in a position that demands patience, and we are definitely not being patient.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Indeed. I've personally had my doubts at times myself, especially after he got injured during the Griffins game. That said, writing him off and calling him a bum is way too premature. Anyone who doubts his ability to play can go look at vids of the Panthers in the 2012 playoffs, where he was one of the best players on the ice, on a Panthers team that surprised the heck out of everyone. Or they can go read some of the Panthers archives from years past where he was the only guy deserving praise most nights.

I think you touched on a larger problem with this board in general, in that everyone is only interested in instant gratification. Perhaps, it's the result of being populated primarily by millenials, I don't know. But Stephen Weiss, much like this team as a whole, is in a position that demands patience, and we are definitely not being patient.

I agree. Most of us are NOT patient.

I feel the DRW are patient.
Ana wasn't patient with Lupul through many injuries... and I think they made a mistake trading him to Toronto.

If weiss gets bought out... he gets bought out.

I will constantly hope for him to prove himself before that happens. He has all year guys.. And a sore groin wont keep him out all year. He will get his chance!

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I believe if Weiss can get healthy and stay healthy, he'll bounce back and be the player we hope and dream he is capable of being. But that's a big if.

But I am still hopeful.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI

Completely agree, i've been rooting for him to get healthy because I believe when he gets back up to speed he will help the team. Sure, there have been times where it looks really discouraging (his first Griffins game a few weeks ago) but he'll get back to speed.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Completely agree, i've been rooting for him to get healthy because I believe when he gets back up to speed he will help the team. Sure, there have been times where it looks really discouraging (his first Griffins game a few weeks ago) but he'll get back to speed.

Every hockey fan wants to see him succeed but many DRW fans are not not feeling it. You can't go from being that stale in pre-season to some game-breaker after 1 1/2 months of rest. He hasn't been "himself" in years, how is even possible for him to hold the position he was hired for, 2nd line center? It disrupts this team in every way if he's put on a 2nd or 3rd line and can't perform...no way in hell Babcock breaks up the Glendening line until something significant develops.

Pavel said a season ago, it's a young man's game. Patrick Kane is only 26, Pavel is now 35. I realize why they have "over-35" contracts now, very few superstars can maintain into their 40's. Weiss is older and sorry to say the game appears to be passing him by. If he is bought out I doubt his career would be over. He could be like Legwand, a valuable piece on a 3rd or 4th line.

If Weiss surprises and can hang in some fashion, what if he could play wing? Or he takes center on a 3rd line and move Helm to wing? IDK I'll remain as positive as I can but Weiss is really going to have to make some waves to crack the Wings lineup.

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA
Every hockey fan wants to see him succeed but many DRW fans are not not feeling it. You can't go from being that stale in pre-season to some game-breaker after 1 1/2 months of rest. He hasn't been "himself" in years, how is even possible for him to hold the position he was hired for, 2nd line center? It disrupts this team in every way if he's put on a 2nd or 3rd line and can't perform...no way in hell Babcock breaks up the Glendening line until something significant develops.

Pavel said a season ago, it's a young man's game. Patrick Kane is only 26, Pavel is now 35. I realize why they have "over-35" contracts now, very few superstars can maintain into their 40's. Weiss is older and sorry to say the game appears to be passing him by. If he is bought out I doubt his career would be over. He could be like Legwand, a valuable piece on a 3rd or 4th line.

If Weiss surprises and can hang in some fashion, what if he could play wing? Or he takes center on a 3rd line and move Helm to wing? IDK I'll remain as positive as I can but Weiss is really going to have to make some waves to crack the Wings lineup.

To be fair, that's all anybody is doing right now. Trying to remain positive.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Khan today again on Weiss, this time more definitively....

It's important that he plays regularly the rest of the season. They need to determine if he can contribute offensively and perform like the player he was in Florida.

If he can't, they're not going to keep his $4.95 million salary on their cap for the next three seasons, they'll use a regular buyout on him in June, reducing their cap hit considerably.

VM1138

Apr 30, 2007
Khan today again on Weiss, this time more definitively....

Makes sense. Also sounds like they want to give him as much playing time as possible to be able to get back to peak form. If they give him playing time I think he'll be back to being able to be a consistently good 2C by the end of the season.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Makes sense. Also sounds like they want to give him as much playing time as possible to be able to get back to peak form. If they give him playing time I think he'll be back to being able to be a consistently good 2C by the end of the season.

I sure hope so. In that scenario, you gain a 2C, you don't end up eating unnecessary cap hits for 6 years, and it lessens the blow of losing Nestrasil on waivers. Everyone should be rooting hard for Weiss to succeed.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I agree Jaster.

For those negative about weiss, if you are proven right... You win, and we are left with useless cap hits for 3 to 6 years, and our team's current 2nd line center should really be a 3rd line center.

But if Weiss Succeeds the team is stronger.

Its not like we are going to trade for a brand new 2nd line center anytime soon, so we are stuck with this boat gents. for this season anyway.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I checked this morning and Weiss has been recalled. I'm guessing he plays tonight if Datsyuk is still out. Even if Datsyuk is in, I think he'll still plays and Cleary gets to be healthy scratch.

Franzen - Zetterberg - Nyquist
Tatar - Sheahan - Abdelkader
Helm - Weiss - Jurco
Miller - Glendening - Andersson

or

Franzen - Zetterberg - Nyquist
Weiss/Helm - Datsyuk - Jurco
Tatar - Sheahan - Abdelkader
Miller - Glendening - Weiss/Helm

Last edited:

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013
He is playing in the game today vs Ottawa

Chuck Pleiness ‏@wingsfrontman
Stephen Weiss appears to be in tonight. Skating with Darren Helm and Tomas Jurco.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
@AnsarKhanMLive
Lines:
Nyquist-Zetterberg-Abdelkader
Tatar-Sheahan-Franzen
Weiss-Helm-Jurco
Miller-Glendening-Andersson

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
I have zero hope for Weiss...no expectation of him doing anything. He literally looks like he doesn't care when he steps onto the ice. He's soft, mentally weak and hockey skills have eroded to mediocre at best. Buy him out after the season and move on.

SunDin

Dec 22, 2008
Great, finally gets to see how Weiss shape is now.
If he looks good, do you expect him to play on 2nd with Pavel in near future?
Helmer have good Controls on the faceoffs at 3rd line.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Great, finally gets to see how Weiss shape is now.
If he looks good, do you expect him to play on 2nd with Pavel in near future?
Helmer have good Controls on the faceoffs at 3rd line.

I'll be able if he is able to dress and finish consecutive games without getting hurt or benched. And then we will go from there.

T Low

Oct 18, 2008
I have zero hope for Weiss...no expectation of him doing anything. He literally looks like he doesn't care when he steps onto the ice. He's soft, mentally weak and hockey skills have eroded to mediocre at best. Buy him out after the season and move on.

There is nothing wrong with this quote. A true fan can be honest with himself and the rest of us regardless of positivity or negativity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce