Recalled/Assigned: Weiss assigned to AHL for conditioning stint (Recalled, Skating with Wings Post #189)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I guess he cleared waivers too? Or does that not apply in Weiss' case?

I believe he doesn't go on waivers since it's a conditioning stint.

Anyway, is he reporting? I thought I remember last season he was going to be assigned to GR but didn't want to report.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I guess he cleared waivers too? Or does that not apply in Weiss' case?

Because its a conditioning stint, waivers are not applicable.

He can spend up to 14 days with the Griffs. I am all for maximizing his game time so we might as well use a big chunk of that window.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 59s59 seconds ago
Plan is for Stephen Weiss to play 2 conditioning stint games with Grand Rapids, then get into #RedWings lineup during upcoming road games.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 5m5 minutes ago
From what I gather, perception within #RedWings is Stephen Weiss hasn't shown enough practice battle-level to earn spot in regular rotation.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Plan is for Stephen Weiss to play 2 conditioning stint games with Grand Rapids, then get into #RedWings lineup during upcoming road games.

Good 2 hear. Let's all be positive and encourage Stephen.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

From what I gather, perception within #RedWings is Stephen Weiss hasn't shown enough practice battle-level to earn spot in regular rotation.

Hmm. These tweets from St. James almost seem contradictory, no?

On one hand they plan to get him in the lineup, but on the other, the team is suggesting his intensity/battle-level isn't at an acceptable level.

Do they expect 2 games in the AHL to change all that?

Either way I hope the Giffins can take advantage of the boost an "established Veteran" should supply.

Last edited:

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Hmm. These tweets from St. James almost seem contradictory, no?

I imagine playing for the Red Wings is contingent on him playing well in Grand Rapids.

It could also mean that Franzen is going to be out even longer and/or they plan on sending down Jurco/Nestrasil at some point. They also may plan to buy out Cleary. Anyway, I wouldn't read too much into her tweets.

Weiss also has a no movement clause, I believe, so he wouldn't report to Grand Rapids if he cleared waivers anyway.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I imagine playing for the Red Wings is contingent on him playing well in Grand Rapids.

It could also mean that Franzen is going to be out even longer and/or they plan on sending down Jurco/Nestrasil at some point. They also may plan to buy out Cleary. Anyway, I wouldn't read too much into her tweets.

Weiss also has a no movement clause, I believe, so he wouldn't report to Grand Rapids if he cleared waivers anyway.

cleary can't be bought out.

i think they plan to send jurco down.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
This is an interesting move. Its better than him sitting on the bench.

I dont know if weiss is a "valiant soldier" being dicked around but keeping quiet about it.

OR

A lazy guy who was afraid to work out hard, and now looks horrible.

OR

A guy that magically lost all his skills not playing for 2 years.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Scared that things seem to be going the Jonathan Cheechoo route...

T Low

Oct 18, 2008

He must be confused thinking his no movement clause applies to his skating during the game...

Actual Thought*

Who knows maybe Weiss requested the stint in order to get in game shape. I think this is a good thing. Perhaps they are making space for Franzen without sending Jurco down?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Let's see how he does before we write him off. He needs to get some games and we can't really afford to have him in the lineup without being effective. A couple games in GR can hopefully get him going, maybe he can score a goal or two and get some confidence. If he comes back up and can't be a solid player for us, it's time to worry for real.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI

He's not a fighter, not a battler, and I gathered this by just watching interviews with the guy, no heart to be found. Looks CAN be decieving yes, but he just doesn't seem like a guy who will put his ass on the line out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad