Recalled/Assigned: Weiss assigned to AHL for conditioning stint (Recalled, Skating with Wings Post #189)

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
He's a little weak on the puck(not really trusting his body to hold up?) but he can definitely skate and keep up right now which is a good sign.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I have zero hope for Weiss...no expectation of him doing anything. He literally looks like he doesn't care when he steps onto the ice. He's soft, mentally weak and hockey skills have eroded to mediocre at best. Buy him out after the season and move on.

Where is your hope level at this point? :)

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I had faith in the guy all through last season and early this season. But when he got hurt in his conditioning stunt a couple of weeks ago, I thought he was done. It just seemed hopeless. Glad he's putting it together now.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Honestly, who would have expected a comeback like that? Glad for him that it worked out so far. But question is: Can he keep that up?
Not necessarily a pace like that, but at least some consistency throughout the season.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It's just good see him play with some confidence. He actually makes plays now, last season he would always do the very simplest play available, which doesn't lead to much offense.

Looks good on that 2nd PP unit too. Not expecting a whole lot from him still, but the key is to stay healthy for him because then he should be able to at least be a steady 3rd line guy.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Like I calculated earlier, Red Wings 4th best point-scoring forward has had 70 games and 49 points from 2005 to 2014 on average.

So, Weiss has now missed 19 games, and if he plays rest of the games ending for 63 games, ~44 points are realistic expectations for him.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Honestly, who would have expected a comeback like that? Glad for him that it worked out so far. But question is: Can he keep that up?
Not necessarily a pace like that, but at least some consistency throughout the season.

I think the big challenge when coming back from a lengthy injury is getting back up to game speed. It appears Weiss has completely side-stepped that problem. I'm sure he'll have his ups and downs like everyone else but I don't see any reason to be pessimistic about the rest of his season.

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
Havent been able to catch any Red Wing game the last weeks. Is Weiss playing as good as it seems? As a fan of Red Wings way to build a team and play the game I always tought he would fit there.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Early on I feel he was just in the right spot to get points. Last night he was playing like a man possessed and I hope he keeps up this kind of play.

His confidence must be sky high at the moment.

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
Early on I feel he was just in the right spot to get points. Last night he was playing like a man possessed and I hope he keeps up this kind of play.

His confidence must be sky high at the moment.

I share the same sentiment. It looked like he was a little timid, didn't have confidence his first few games, he was playing with great players who gift wrapped some points for him. Now it seems he's getting up to speed, his confidence is soaring, and he's sure of himself and his abilities. His pass to Datsyuk last night on the power play was a beauty, through 2 defenders and Sheahan? I believe right to Datsyuk's tape. If Weiss can maintain even a .75 ppg pace for the rest of the season, let alone the 1.3 ppg pace he's on we'll be good. I think Babs is doing an excellent job of limiting his ice time and putting him with players that help him succeed, which at this point is anyone in the top 9. This team is reminding me of the dominant offensive juggernaut teams of the LA Kings the past few years with the offensive depth. The D corp isn't close to LA but Howard is spot on with Quick. If the team can keep it going and we can add a solid pick mover on the backend I can see this team going deep. Babcock has gotta be loving his job right now, we're scoring goals, have top 5ish pp/pk, and Howard is shutting the door when he has to.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
9 points in his first 7 games of the season is a career best for Weiss.

I think he has been lucky and/or just at the right spot on a few goals, but imho, they couldn't have come at a better time for him.

I thought that last night was his best game/effort so far. He finally looked 'engaged' as Babcock likes to say... He looks like he is finally getting confident in his body/health once again. If we can get the Weiss we were all hoping for when the trade was made, it will be huge for the Wings going forward. Ever since his return the team has finally been able to roll with 3 legitimate scoring lines and as a result has been able to put the puck in the back of the net on a consistent basis. It has given the whole team a boost. But as we have also seen, rolling 3 scoring lines also results in more goals going the other way too. Hopefully Babcock has a plan to fix that.

bullocks

Jun 26, 2007
Toronto
I've been a Weiss supporter from the start.

<-------------- as you can see from my avy that ive had up since he signed. Funny how most people on this board turned on him. :shakehead

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
9 points in 7 games. Not bad.

I'm not expecting that to stay even close to the norm but if he can stay healthy and be at least a threat to chip in every game the wings are doing alright with him.

I was skeptical about him ever getting healthy again but always thought if he could just keep healthy long enough to get some games in he would actually produce. Hopefully he can keep it going because he adds a lot of depth scoring potential to the wings line up

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
Does Weiss remind you of how Cleary USED to play?

Puck handles along the wall. Makes dirty plays (not dirty as in illegal, but those underrated grungy mucky plays that you have to earn). And most of his goals are just garbage goals because he's like one of the few who will just weasel his way through the bodies to get to that loose puck.

EDIT: Physicality I would still give the edge to Cleary, as he still has it when it comes to board battles (probably the only thing he does well any more). But they play similarly outside of that difference IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce