Weise hit on Holzer (UPD: suspended 3 games)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Obviously that was getting a few games. YOU CANT DO THAT DALE.

I don't think it's obvious at all. Players have got in the head, left the game, and missed weeks with concussion on similar recent hits with no suspension at all.

3 games for a hit with no injury is clearly excessive. That's what's Barrie got for jumping into Despres' head so hard he ruined his career.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
They shouldn't avoid giving suspensions just cause they haven't given them every time one was deserved.

I see this with almost every suspension that gets handed out. Should the police make no arrests because sometimes they arrest people with no merit or they let certain people go?

I don't believe I implied that they shouldn't simply because they haven't.

The DoPS isn't above criticism just because I believe that they got it right in this particular case.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Just trying to make sense of this in lieu of Shaw's Mutombo finger wag punishment.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Wish Rinaldo, Burns, and Subban were suspended for their hits against Flyers last year. Strong inconsistency.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I don't believe I implied that they shouldn't simply because they haven't.

The DoPS isn't above criticism just because I believe that they got it right in this particular case.

I was speaking generally. Not about you specifically. And I understand that the DopS needs to be more consistent, but given the reactions to just about every suspension you'd think people generally feel it's either suspend everyone or no one.

imbatman

Aug 27, 2010
If I played in the NHL I'd just skate crouched down. You're not allowed to get hit if you're crouching down or leaning over.

If I played in the NHL I wouldnt be stupid enough to jump into hits. Rather get paid.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
If I played in the NHL I wouldnt be stupid enough to jump into hits. Rather get paid.

I would just go around doing great hockey plays like slue- footing, horse-collaring, and taking a handful of helmet into a turnbuckle. Apparently those are all ok to do.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
If I played in the NHL I'd just skate crouched down. You're not allowed to get hit if you're crouching down or leaning over.

I hope you aren't suggesting that was the case with Holzer. He didn't crouch. His knees bent because he was stopping. That's standard. You need a good knee bend when you stop, because you're driving 200 lbs of your weight into your legs.

All Weise had to do to make a clean hit was not jump into it.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I hope you aren't suggesting that was the case with Holzer. He didn't crouch. His knees bent because he was stopping. That's standard. You need a good knee bend when you stop, because you're driving 200 lbs of your weight into your legs.

All Weise had to do to make a clean hit was not jump into it.

If Holzer doesn't stop suddenly, they collide before Weise leaves the ice. From all the other non- hockey infractions we have seen in the last week, it's crazy to think this is the worst one. Williams horse collar on Malkin could have broken his neck the way he hit the boards first.

1mjp

May 13, 2016
Why does every suspension meted out by Player Safety get such hatred? This is a recurring theme.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I don't think it's obvious at all. Players have got in the head, left the game, and missed weeks with concussion on similar recent hits with no suspension at all.

3 games for a hit with no injury is clearly excessive. That's what's Barrie got for jumping into Despres' head so hard he ruined his career.

Eh, well don't get me wrong..the DOPS usually DOES get it wrong, like with Barrie..this one i think was right, Barrie was clearly wrong.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
If Holzer doesn't stop suddenly, they collide before Weise leaves the ice. From all the other non- hockey infractions we have seen in the last week, it's crazy to think this is the worst one. Williams horse collar on Malkin could have broken his neck the way he hit the boards first.

Holzer -had- to stop. He had no other option. Was he supposed to occupy the same space as Weise? And Weise isn't eligible to be hit. That's kind of a poor defense, because you're assuming a player does something way out of the norm. Holzer had no alternative.

I'm not defending the DoPS. They get it wrong a lot. That Malkin play was ridiculous. But Weise can't leave his feet on that hit. If he stays on his feet, everything is fine. Even if he gets a big piece of Holzer, or even has some head contact(it would have been pretty incidental).

Edit: Stupid autocorrect.

Last edited:

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

1 - it's his second time with DOP$ for targeting the head. He's been previously suspended for it.

2 - he jumped into his head. That does not happen all the time.

3 - Holzer had a broken nose and a bloodied face. That qualifies as an injury to most people.

4 - Nate Thompson was suspended last year for doing pretty much the same thing, as the second time he'd been suspended for a check to the head, and got... 3 games.

The league is actually being consistently lenient giving him only 3 games. It's easy to make the case that he should have had substantially more (Thompson too).

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
An illegal play from a player who's been suspended for a similar hit. 3 games is reasonable.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
He's a repeat offender for exactly the same penalty. This should be 5. And, before anyone says he isn't, the timeframe for repeat offender applies only to fines, not to suspensions.

So, balance no call on ice + head injury + plays for Canadian team + repeat offender vs plays for an O6 team + happened vs a small market team + lack of media outrage + DOP$ has become a complete joke about actually caring about player safety this year = Dale Weise has been announced as the Captain for the Atlantic Division 2016-17 All Star Game!!!!

Wait... what?

mgd525

May 18, 2007
I don't like it. Borderline. He thrusts into him with his trailing Leg off the ice. I'm not sure if his front skate gets off the ice before impact. A game I wouldn't question much. 3 games is a joke imo especially where the league just hands out games when they feel like it. This is from a Pens fan and I hate the Flyers.

mgd525

May 18, 2007
They shouldn't avoid giving suspensions just cause they haven't given them every time one was deserved.

I see this with almost every suspension that gets handed out. Should the police make no arrests because sometimes they arrest people with no merit or they let certain people go?

Pretty terrible comparison with the process involved. A Cop has to make a judgment call off what he has witnessed and heard. While a Ref has to do a similar evaluation at a fast pace. Minus the whole life and death situation a cop is facing while trying to make these determinations of course. That's why countries have justice systems and courts to sort through evidence. Here is the problem, The NHL consistently gets these calls wrong despite CLEAR video evidence in every single case with multiple video angles, not to mention the reporters with umpteen camera angles. There is no reason for the amount of disparity between what is a suspension and what isn't. The NHL is an absolute joke at making these calls. It really does appear at times they spin a wheel like wheel of fortune at times. They have tons of video evidence and a lot of time to make that call and get it right.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Why does every suspension meted out by Player Safety get such hatred? This is a recurring theme.

The lack of consistency.

When the same hit gets nothing one day, or something similarly dangerous that isn't even an attempted hockey play like a slew foot or smashing someones head into the boards gets nothing..there's a problem.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't like it. Borderline. He thrusts into him with his trailing Leg off the ice. I'm not sure if his front skate gets off the ice before impact. A game I wouldn't question much. 3 games is a joke imo especially where the league just hands out games when they feel like it. This is from a Pens fan and I hate the Flyers.

It would be one thing if every hit like this the rest of the season results in the same suspension, but we know it won't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad