Weise hit on Holzer (UPD: suspended 3 games)

imbatman

Aug 27, 2010
The fact it wasn't a penalty probably is why it gets a hearing.

Manson going to the head of Konecny was a far more egregious play, but it did get a penalty. Slash to the back of Streit's knee was probably actually worse, but the Ducks were up to 5 or 6 penalties in a row at that point, refs aren't going to call everything.

None of this is worse though than the somehow preferential treatment Andrew Shaw is getting.

Lol. That was all on Konecny, he tried to duck a hit and got hit in the head instead of the shoulder because of his own fault.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
With a hearing, this should be 2 games for charging. It is important to note that Korbinian Holzer is eligible to be hit on this play in a legal manner, driving through the core of his body and staying on the ice, but Weise charged into the hit.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Lol. That was all on Konecny, he tried to duck a hit and got hit in the head instead of the shoulder because of his own fault.

It was a late hit with with the puck nowhere near him. And I felt the penalty was sufficient, but apparently not now.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
With a hearing, this should be 2 games for charging. It is important to note that Korbinian Holzer is eligible to be hit on this play in a legal manner, driving through the core of his body and staying on the ice, but Weise charged into the hit.

He's a repeat offender for exactly the same penalty. This should be 5. And, before anyone says he isn't, the timeframe for repeat offender applies only to fines, not to suspensions.

So, balance no call on ice + head injury + plays for Canadian team + repeat offender vs plays for an O6 team + happened vs a small market team + lack of media outrage + DOP$ has become a complete joke about actually caring about player safety this year = Dale Weise has been announced as the Captain for the Atlantic Division 2016-17 All Star Game!!!!

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He didn't even get a penalty, so I don't know how you can complain.

Pretty easy actually.

Shaw slewfoot = no suspension
Virtanen turnbuckle head slam = no suspension
Roussel sucker punch = no suspension

Gudas shoulder through chest into jaw = 6 games
Weise shoulder through chest into jaw = probably 2 games

That's how.

The level of consistency by the DoPS is a ****ing DISGRACE. It's only effected Flyers fans so far this season but I assure you, it WILL effect others and those fans will be just as angry.

JUST. BE. CONSISTENT.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

I will agree with that. Shouldnt have even been a penalty. He tried to hit him cleanly and he ducked the hit.

What was missed was Hanzals intentional elbow to Konecnys face on Saturday.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Doesn't really matter if he left his feet. First contact to the head is the issue.
Certainly a dirty play by Weiss.
If the league wants to punish Philly, the Flyers should be forced to play Weiss for 20 minutes a game for a month.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
Left his feet
Targets head
Initial point of contact is head
Play resulted in injury (although I personally don't consider this in reviewing plays)

This will show if the NHL is serious about reducing head hits.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Just saw this elsewhere and had to share..

DoPS

Department of Philadelphia Suspensions

:laugh:

:cry:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Manson going to the head of Konecny was a far more egregious play, but it did get a penalty. Slash to the back of Streit's knee was probably actually worse, but the Ducks were up to 5 or 6 penalties in a row at that point, refs aren't going to call everything.

None of this is worse though than the somehow preferential treatment Andrew Shaw is getting.

The "preseason suspension" followed by the "stern talking to."

:facepalm:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
3 games is deserved. Can't believe people don't see that. This kind of stuff should not be in the league anymore.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
I'm fine with Weise being suspended for it; I'm just amused about the other hits in the pre-season and the first few games seeming to have not even caught the attention of the DoPS.

I'd be okay with some consistency.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm fine with Weise being suspended for it; I'm just amused about the other hits that seem to have not even caught the attention of the DoPS.

I'd be okay with some consistency.

They shouldn't avoid giving suspensions just cause they haven't given them every time one was deserved.

I see this with almost every suspension that gets handed out. Should the police make no arrests because sometimes they arrest people with no merit or they let certain people go?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

My issue with the Manson call was that they called an elbow. I don't care if they want to call it late, or whatever, but calling an elbow when his elbow stays in tight and Konecny tries to duck away is silly. That was the only reason there was head contact. That hit became outright dangerous, simply because Konecny didn't want to take a hit.

If he keeps doing that, it's only a matter of time before some player gets low-bridged, and goes face first into the boards with no ability to protect themselves. The second the refs made that call, they should have talked to Konecny about trying to duck away. Someone is going to get hurt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad