Speculation: Weircioch done as a Sen?

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I think our fanbase is bypolar at times,they seem to hate on role players that do their job.But seem to have neverending hard on,s ,for tweener skill guys like Prince and Decosta.:nod:

He doesn't even do his job well. His defense is pretty bad and it's not like he's feared to go up against, he has terrible passing and gets beat alot, also pretty lost in front of the net. If you want a prime example of a "police" type of defender that did his job well then look at Carkner.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
He doesn't even do his job well. His defense is pretty bad and it's not like he's feared to go up against, he has terrible passing and gets beat alot, also pretty lost in front of the net. If you want a prime example of a "police" type of defender that did his job well then look at Carkner.

You don't think he's feared? He's not a guy that can be easy to play against.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
How is he brutal on the PK?
You know I think if you tell someone a player is big and tough. They automatically say he's a good PKer. Boro is a crap penalty killer because he has no brain. No idea how to close lanes. No idea where to be. EVER. And gets over excited when he sees and opportunity for a hit. He doesn't scare anyone.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Seriously. People know when Boro is on the ice the other team is going "go down 74s side".

I hate the "this fan base hates role players!!!" Oh really? Neil has been loved here forever until his significant drop off. Condra. Liked. Chris Kelly liked. Vermette liked. Priessing liked. This fan base and all fan bases. LOVE good role players. We just don't like crap ones.

Players I mentioned. Good role players. Boro doesn't even come CLOSE to touching those players. I'm talking about vermette and jelly when they were here.

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006
Five pages about whether or not he's "done as a Sen"? Yes, yes he is. 100%. No doubt. Toast. Not coming back. Junk.

Can we close this thread now?

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
You don't think he's feared? He's not a guy that can be easy to play against.

I don't think he's feared at all. If he was players wouldn't constantly go down his side of the ice. His hits are overrated and inopportune. Sure he sticks up for teammates I'll give him that but everything else about him is exaggerated

TB1299

Apr 13, 2016
He had a rough year but I'd be interested in seeing him under Boucher.

I'd offer him a 2 way deal for a year.

On a personal note the guy is as great of a person and human being as they come.

This dude is good people. Probably the most stand up hockey player I've ever gotten to know on the team.

I wish him all the best.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Boro didnt do his job.
Do you understand the word role player??Off course he shouldnt play more than 8 to 10 mins in any game he is in .He is a depth defender,period .He will be ok to plug in against bigger physical teams,anything else he should sit .Dont understand why he is an issue

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think there are better players than Boro and Wier... I have not kindled any attachment to them. We should be trying to improve our depth

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I think there are better players than Boro and Wier... I have not kindled any attachment to them. We should be trying to improve our depth
Thats fair nobody is supposed to really care about depth players ,Boro can be useful in limited mins ,and select games.But someone should be taking games away from him this season ,last year we really didnt have anyone

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think our fanbase is bypolar at times,they seem to hate on role players that do their job.But seem to have neverending hard on,s ,for tweener skill guys like Prince and Decosta.:nod:

It's always been that way, last yr everybody wanted to get rid of Smith & some still do. The majority like skilled players & not the role players, that's just a fact.

Nah....Boro was bad on the PK. A successful PK has players who can handle the puck well enough to get it the hell out of the defensive zone. A successful PK has guys who realize they can't abandon their position to try to give a big hit in the corners just to be tough.

Some shot blocking is a good thing....but some isn't. Depends how and when you do it.

Well traditionally that has not always been the case, the PK is where your 3rd pairing players played more minutes, blocking shots & containing the front of the net. If that was the case then EK would play more PK time.

I don"t mind keeping Boro. Earning $1.1M and adding physical toughness and policeman role. Very valuable in tough playoff series. Who else is there available at that price who would make the defence better?

That's the problem, they are harder to find then people think & who are willing to come to Ottawa.

Who exactly? We should & they are, the only guy who should challenge Boro for ice time this season should be Claesson. I'm not sure a rookie is going to take any time from him & unless they sign a better UFA player & think both Boro & Claesson will share that bottom pairing LD spot.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I don't want to get rid of Smith but I do want Borowiecki in a role of #7 - fill in for injuries. If there's a longer term injury and we can make the playoffs - try to trade for a rental.

Borowiecki is not that good defensively. He's an energy guy in a league that doesn't have defensemen who are energy guys.

Look at the St. Louis defense or the San Jose defense or the LA Kings defense or the Chicago defense or the Tampa Bay defense or the Anaheim defense.

They don't have that guy with 0 hockey IQ providing only the occasional body check (that often takes them out of the play and leads to the opposing team getting a scoring chance).

The only reason Weircioch isn't getting re-signed is because of 2.7 million and I understand that.

If we go into the season with Borowiecki being a regular in our NHL line up - I will be extremely disappointed. There's no room for a pure energy guy in your bottom pairing. Carkner worked out because he wasn't making stupid bodychecks, he wasn't taking stupid penalties. He was playing super safe, super defensive hockey. Borowiecki does not do that. He doesn't.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I don't want to get rid of Smith but I do want Borowiecki in a role of #7 - fill in for injuries. If there's a longer term injury and we can make the playoffs - try to trade for a rental.

Borowiecki is not that good defensively. He's an energy guy in a league that doesn't have defensemen who are energy guys.

Look at the St. Louis defense or the San Jose defense or the LA Kings defense or the Chicago defense or the Tampa Bay defense or the Anaheim defense.

They don't have that guy with 0 hockey IQ providing only the occasional body check (that often takes them out of the play and leads to the opposing team getting a scoring chance).

The only reason Weircioch isn't getting re-signed is because of 2.7 million and I understand that.

If we go into the season with Borowiecki being a regular in our NHL line up - I will be extremely disappointed. There's no room for a pure energy guy in your bottom pairing. Carkner worked out because he wasn't making stupid bodychecks, he wasn't taking stupid penalties. He was playing super safe, super defensive hockey. Borowiecki does not do that. He doesn't.

When Boro first came up he was running around, getting out of position to make physical checks. In the last couple of years he has settled down into a physical defenseman and does not run around anymore. I think he is the type of player this team needs in the playoffs where the play becomes much more physical and physical intimidation becomes a major factor.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He's certainly not feared like Chara would be, but he can make life difficult for opposing forwards.

He is not paid the same either. Chara about $7M vs Boro at about $1M.

I have always felt that the Senators did the right thing by letting Chara go to Boston for $7.5M annually and kept Phillips and Volchenkov at about $6M for both. I think Ottawa got the better value. But then there was Redden at $6.5M and we all know what happened after that.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
When Boro first came up he was running around, getting out of position to make physical checks. In the last couple of years he has settled down into a physical defenseman and does not run around anymore. I think he is the type of player this team needs in the playoffs where the play becomes much more physical and physical intimidation becomes a major factor.

I don't agree. Just look at the series being played right now. You need defensemen who can withstand physical pressure from forwards. You need forwards who can apply pressure by throwing hits.

Forwards aren't afraid to hit Borowiecki or anyone else for that matter. They will throw the check at every opportunity on any player. They also aren't afraid of getting hit by a defensemen they beat to the puck.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I don't agree. Just look at the series being played right now. You need defensemen who can withstand physical pressure from forwards. You need forwards who can apply pressure by throwing hits.

Forwards aren't afraid to hit Borowiecki or anyone else for that matter. They will throw the check at every opportunity on any player. They also aren't afraid of getting hit by a defensemen they beat to the puck.

To each his own opinion.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

I like Boro as the 7th D or a very constrained 6th D. Play 6-10 minutes. Second PK and just seek and destroy the rest of the minutes. Playing him 17-20 minutes does not help us.

With having a real top 4 and Ceci breaking out and Phaneuf for 82 games. Wideman having a year in the NHL. Spotting Boro to just seek and destroy and play minimal minutes could pay large dividends. He really is a force and a unique player. Only having to go all out and be 2nd PK is going to
Make him even better then him trying to play big minutes.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
I like Boro as the 7th D or a very constrained 6th D. Play 6-10 minutes. Second PK and just seek and destroy the rest of the minutes. Playing him 17-20 minutes does not help us.

With having a real top 4 and Ceci breaking out and Phaneuf for 82 games. Wideman having a year in the NHL. Spotting Boro to just seek and destroy and play minimal minutes could pay large dividends. He really is a force and a unique player. Only having to go all out and be 2nd PK is going to
Make him even better then him trying to play big minutes.

I don't think he's going to get better, I think he's probably peaked so not sure he'll earn those big minutes.

Aurilius

Nov 12, 2015
Hostage in Canada's Basement
Honestly I have no issue with Boro being our 7th guy. I expect Claesson to finally take his regular spot on the roster.

Cameron overused Boro, to a hilarious degree. But I think the guy does have alot to offer in a far more limited role. The question is can he go back to being a heart and soul role player after being the coaches golden boy, from who's ashhole the sun shines warming our hearts and solving all our problems!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad