Speculation: Weircioch done as a Sen?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
the money aside, if you could keep 2 of the following three, who would it be?

Wier,
Boro,
Wideman?

The only positive thing Boro and Wideman really have that sets them apart from most others in the league at their spot in the roster is the fact that they're dirt cheap.

If the hypothetical scenario is "money aside", then I pass on all three and try and build a decent 3rd pairing via UFA.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
The only positive thing Boro and Wideman really have that sets them apart from most others in the league at their spot in the roster is the fact that they're dirt cheap.

If the hypothetical scenario is "money aside", then I pass on all three and try and build a decent 3rd pairing via UFA.

hahaha, not one of the options available, but probably the only correct answer

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

Wier,
Boro,
Wideman?

Wideman and Boro.

I still think Wideman will be a decent 3rd pairing PMD. And although he's smallish, he's not soft.

Boro is a serviceable 7th defender. At the very least, with his work ethic, he's a guy who's good to have in practice keeping guys honest and pushing his teammates.

Wier seems to offer nothing of benefit to the team.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Wideman and Boro.

I still think Wideman will be a decent 3rd pairing PMD. And although he's smallish, he's not soft.

Boro is a serviceable 7th defender. At the very least, with his work ethic, he's a guy who's good to have in practice keeping guys honest and pushing his teammates.

For what it's worth, Wier is probably the only one who really thrived at any given time. When he was a sheltered bottom pair guy, he put up some solid all round numbers, and his lack of defensive play was mitigated by not being exposed to tougher deployment.

Now, the downside is that it meant everyone else got tougher mins as he ate up the soft ones. So it becomes the question of which is better for the team: Wier playing well in butter soft mins 10-15 mins a night, or Boro playing poorly in tougher mins 10-15 mins a night.

Tough to answer that one, tbh.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I sometimes wonder if PW wasn't just a consequence of bad coaching. I know he needs improvement, but he has shown that he can play at the NHL level. He may be one of those 'change of scenery' guys, but I'm not sold.
I have seen folks play poorly due to a disconnect between the player and coach. But really, I think PW scapegoats the world around him too much and needs to battle through this. If he worked harder on his game (and in the gym) he'd have a career.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Are we sure it's a problem with evaluation, too much patience...........or simply a lack of options? A team on a budget with an average (all things considered) prospect pool can't just dump players and wave a wad of cash around to attract FAs. For better or worse, this team has to paly the cards we're dealt. That's why they lean so much on character guys while drafting, with the hope those kids will have what it takes to become legit players.

GOod point except that character isn't a hard thing to find. The team should be drafting for skill and speed and trading those guys for the Neil's and Lazar's of the world to fill gaps in the lineup.

As for Patty Dubya, you'll be missed man. Good possession driver that simply needed better structural coaching to improve. Hope he doesn't bite us later on.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Easier said than done. Exactly which UFAs are available that you would pick to replace these three who are better & would actually come here & will fit in this budget? By the time players become UFAs they get to decide where they play & the guys that are willing to go anywhere may not be any better than what we already have or may be too expensive. Everybody wants better players but they are much harder to get than we think & there are more variables involved than we know.

GOod point except that character isn't a hard thing to find. The team should be drafting for skill and speed and trading those guys for the Neil's and Lazar's of the world to fill gaps in the lineup.

As for Patty Dubya, you'll be missed man. Good possession driver that simply needed better structural coaching to improve. Hope he doesn't bite us later on.

First, PW may not even be in the NHL next yr, I don't see any scenario where he comes back to bite us, he is slow & weak & might be better off in Europe where there is less hitting. Second, Ottawa has plenty of skill & speed, if we fill our team full of little fast players we turn into the Habs who were worse than us this yr & we don't have Price or the Oilers where the players are constantly injured because they aren't big enough to take a hit. Character is a very hard thing to find, what is easy to find are players who are defensively lazy & don't stick up for teammates & are too individualistic & we have enough of those. The best way to beat skill & speed is to kick the crap out of them & they start to make all kinds of mistakes & turnovers. What this team needs is a balance of both skill, speed, size & grit, a combination of everything.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Also, money aside would allow us to at least explore UFA to see if depth positions could get a significant boost.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

In this case, I use 'character' as a catch all for incredibly strong work ethic, high compete level, 'safe' type players. Guys who have a higher than average chance at becoming pro (not necessarily NHL level). Pick kids like this, and hope they somehow put it all together to become serviceable NHLers.

Wier,
Boro,
Wideman?

Wier and Wideman, for sure. Boro would've been an option over Wier...but guys like him tend to fall off a cliff when they get an ego (which he certainly did last year). But damn, those are 3 crappy options.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
In this case, I use 'character' as a catch all for incredibly strong work ethic, high compete level, 'safe' type players. Guys who have a higher than average chance at becoming pro (not necessarily NHL level). Pick kids like this, and hope they somehow put it all together to become serviceable NHLers.

Wier and Wideman, for sure. Boro would've been an option over Wier...but guys like him tend to fall off a cliff when they get an ego (which he certainly did last year). But damn, those are 3 crappy options.

Wideman is a solid bottom pairing guyy, not big but he seems tougher to play against than Wiercioch and almost as good in transition. What makes Boro more valuable than any of those other guys is that he can PK.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Wier,
Boro,
Wideman?

Wier and wideman. It's no close. Unfortunately. Money is an issue. I've been a huge wiercioch supporter. But at 2.7 mil. I would let him walk

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Wideman and Boro.

That's a very over rated "talent". Keep people honest in practice. This is the best league in the world. You don't need to pay a guy more than some doctors to "keep his teammates honest"

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Wideman is a solid bottom pairing guyy, not big but he seems tougher to play against than Wiercioch and almost as good in transition. What makes Boro more valuable than any of those other guys is that he can PK.

Did you watch him on the PK. He was brutal. Our PK was brutal. And he was brutal on it.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Did you watch him on the PK. He was brutal. Our PK was brutal. And he was brutal on it.

No he wasn't, our special teams in general were brutal but one guy can't do everything. He led our team in blocked shots until he got hurt, he hammered guys with some hard hits & he was a difficult player to play against unlike some of our other players who were easy to play against like Weir & Karlsson. This board blames Boro for so many things that aren't his fault, he is one guy & a bottom pairing stay at home defenceman, nothing more than that & he does his job well enough. What more do you expect from him exactly? What is he not doing that you expect he should be doing exactly?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
No he wasn't, our special teams in general were brutal but one guy can't do everything. He led our team in blocked shots until he got hurt, he hammered guys with some hard hits & he was a difficult player to play against unlike some of our other players who were easy to play against like Weir & Karlsson. This board blames Boro for so many things that aren't his fault, he is one guy & a bottom pairing stay at home defenceman, nothing more than that & he does his job well enough. What more do you expect from him exactly? What is he not doing that you expect he should be doing exactly?
I think our fanbase is bypolar at times,they seem to hate on role players that do their job.But seem to have neverending hard on,s ,for tweener skill guys like Prince and Decosta.:nod:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Nah....Boro was bad on the PK. A successful PK has players who can handle the puck well enough to get it the hell out of the defensive zone. A successful PK has guys who realize they can't abandon their position to try to give a big hit in the corners just to be tough.

Some shot blocking is a good thing....but some isn't. Depends how and when you do it.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I hope Dorion is able to move him at the draft for something, anything really or even in a package deal, but if he walks for nothing that's fine too. I think Claesson is the better hockey player of the two & a good 7th D.

I hope Dorion can move him too for something, but if not, the loss is small. Wiercioch has not developed enough. He is extremely slow footed, weak physically, and not worth $2.7M. His contract dollars are now going to Phameuf.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I don"t mind keeping Boro. Earning $1.1M and adding physical toughness and policeman role. Very valuable in tough playoff series. Who else is there available at that price who would make the defence better?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad