Speculation: Weircioch done as a Sen?

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
He made 2.7 this past season. There is no way the Sens qualify him right? That money can be better spent

Last edited by a moderator:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
He wants out, said it himself. He said he's been in trade rumours for 6 years and never felt the team had his back, he wants to go play somewhere that wants him.

He could still be a very good Dman, don't be surprised if he becomes a very solid top 4 player

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
He wants out, said it himself. He said he's been in trade rumours for 6 years and never felt the team had his back, he wants to go play somewhere that wants him.

He could still be a very good Dman, don't be surprised if he becomes a very solid top 4 player

Apologies, I've legit had my priorities well outside of hockey at times over the past few months, when did he say this?

I don't doubt you, I'm legit asking because I clearly missed it during some time I took off from regular life recently.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

I've heard this before and honestly I just find it so lame.

The team has on several occasions not gone out and signed a top 4 UFA hoping that one of Cowen or Wiercioch would step up and take the bull by the horns.

Most notably, the Sens did not make such a move last off-season when Wiercioch was penned into the top 4 (note, not penciled in, he was a lock for the top 4).

What more did he want? The team to clear the way and trade any LHD on the roster to make sure he got first pairing minutes?

Sounds like he has the same problem as Cowen. He's looking everywhere but in the mirror to figure out why it has not worked out for him.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
They won't qualify him but who knows, maybe they'll sign him as UFA to a 2-way deal afterwards, assuming no one else wants him.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013

The guy is an insanely slow skater, and at 25 I doubt that improves much.
He also doesn't use his body like he should, he's 6'5... SIX FOOT FIVE!!! That number seems so mind blowing everytime I think about it, he plays like he is 5'8.

What I am getting at is I highly doubt he will become a very solid top 4 player.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
He'd be told at the exit interviews would he not. We will attempt to trade your rights and if we can't turn you loose.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com

don't mean to call BS, but do you have a source for those comments? Since like a very awkward thing for a player to say.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Naw he's done. THe Sens have given him absolutely every opportunity and he never did anything with it.

No way they bring him back at 2.7 to be a 6-7 guy. And that's where he is now

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I never heard Weircioch say those words either, and I follow the team pretty closely. Do I think he might be feeling that way? No doubt, but I'd be surprised if he actually said it.

Not a prayer that the Sens qualify him at that kind of money, and if I am another NHL GM there's no way I am giving up any kind of an asset for a guy who will likely be forced to sign a two way deal for less money once he hits the street. They'll have to just let him walk...

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

I definitely remember reading this in the paper and being a bit surprised at the tone. Can't find it online after a cursory search, but I'll see if I can find the issue of the Citizen I saw it in when I get home from work.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The guy is an insanely slow skater, and at 25 I doubt that improves much.
He also doesn't use his body like he should, he's 6'5... SIX FOOT FIVE!!! That number seems so mind blowing everytime I think about it, he plays like he is 5'8.

What I am getting at is I highly doubt he will become a very solid top 4 player.

Seriously. 6-foot-5 defenseman who is as soft as a buttercup. How the heck the trainers couldn't get some muscle on that frame after all these years......I don't get it.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Seriously. 6-foot-5 defenseman who is as soft as a buttercup. How the heck the trainers couldn't get some muscle on that frame after all these years......I don't get it.

According to elite prospects Wier weighs the same as Gomez. Gomez is 5'11", and that's probably being generous.

There's also 19 guys on our end of season roster (including Phillips) who weigh more. 9 who weigh less. :amazed:

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
That's the other thing about Player 46 - at age 25, he is who he is. His crucial development years have come and gone.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

It's not the strength that bothers. It's the lack of development in his skating. It's crazy. If he was quicker he would be fine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad