Silver Seven Weekly Question: When will the Senators return to the playoffs?

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
With so much young talent arriving, could the Sens’ playoff drought end next season?
  • By Ross A - April 18, 2020 7:00 am

For today’s question, I’m asking you, when do you think the Sens will return to the playoffs? After all, owner Eugene Melnyk said the Sens would begin a run of unparallelled success by the 2021-2022 season. If that projection holds, that gives the Sens one more season to progress from basement dweller to Stanley Cup contender. Will that mean the Sens make the postseason in 2020-21 (assuming it starts on time)?

Weekly Question: When will the Senators return to the playoffs?

Imnotagoodposter

Jan 5, 2020
With how bad the team is right now and unless we get really lucky with the current lottery, I don’t see playoffs as like for at least another 2 seasons. Major questions marks everywhere and a lack of high end skill.

I also don’t know that making the playoffs would be the best result next season, we could probably do with another high draft pick. Who knows how it’ll turn out though, at least the team will be interesting to watch

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Assuming this pandemic stuff let's us get back on track, I'm thinking 3-4 years before we make a push to get in. It also wouldn't surprise me if we enter into a decade of darkness type scenario a la the Oilers.

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think we need the answer to the lottery balls first before that question is answerable

Some guys are going to say it will take years. Recent history in the league is turnarounds happen fast. I'm thinking sooner than later

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I'm on board with the approach. Build the depth first with a deep pool. Then add the skill through the tank and hope it all clicks together at the right time.

I hope we're dogshit next year, load up on more talent and then break out in 2021/22.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
It all depends on whether we will spend on (and be able to attract) good free agents to complement our youth or not. If we do, we could be on the bubble in two years, and in the playoffs in 3.

edit: and look at this: the gif in my avatar is animated again!

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
It all depends on whether we will spend on (and be able to attract) good free agents to complement our youth or not. If we do, we could be on the bubble in two years, and in the playoffs in 3.

We have never been able to attract good free agents and we have built successful teams before. At most we may pick off a few players sacrificed by their club without NMC’s like Serg or Nylander and in the end it will probably be the “B or C” versions of those guys.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Idk, i think we need to see the lottery balls. I look at our team, our division and how quickly falls and rises happen in the league these days.

Drop of the puck in 2021

Boston - chara 43, bergeron 36, krecji 35, marchand 33, rask 33 and openly talking about retirement and Krug looking like a ufa cap casualty. They will fall. How hard and fast?

TB - hedman, shattenkirk, mcdonaugh, coburn all on the wrong wide of 30. That's 4 of their top 5 D. Stamkos and Killorn over 30.

Toronto - who knows what they do with their cap. Andersen will be 32, a ufa, and tons of mileage. Tavares 31. Muzzin 32.

Montreal, Detroit, buffalo - do they look better than us in 2 years?

Florida - kind of a wild card to me - they just never seem to put it together. I will not be surprised if they are the best team in the division

We're going to be a lot better by 2021 with a lot of talent hitting their prime at a time when some divisional opponents may well be on the downside

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
LOL.

It is all about moving up next season.

two years on the outside, perfectly timed for the downfall of the current cup favs of the east.

Sure, we don’t know who we draft, but there is no way it is another 3-4 yeArs unless they screw up the lottery this year
I am an optimist .. you are right it could be longer

If we want our prospects and young emerging players to develop to close to what they can be we are going to have to show more patience than DJ did this year and focus on that development vs setting Connor Brown up for a career year as an example. That may not apply as much to lottery picks who should be able to grab the bull by the horns earlier , If we get Lafreniere , great that's one player that may be 2 years from making a net positive impact. 3 years isn't too long . These guys will need to get us there not support getting us there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sensung

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I am an optimist .. you are right it could be longer

If we want our prospects and young emerging players to develop to close to what they can be we are going to have to show more patience than DJ did this year and focus on that development vs setting Connor Brown up for a career year as an example. That may not apply as much to lottery picks who should be able to grab the bull by the horns earlier , If we get Lafreniere , great that's one player that may be 2 years from making a net positive impact. 3 years isn't too long . These guys will need to get us there not support getting us there.

There will be trades made and they will try to be ready earlier, to appease the unhappy fans. I think that’s a bit worrisome.

Dorion needs to publish his manifesto soon.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
There will be trades made and they will try to be ready earlier, to appease the unhappy fans. I think that’s a bit worrisome.

Dorion needs to publish his manifesto soon.
More likely the trades will be made to ready earlier to appease an unhappy owner.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
The picture could change quickly with an owner willing to invest in the team.

I know you’re not limiting this to FA but on that front I don’t think even a new owner would change things overnight. Ottawa has never been a prime FA destination, the teams rep on that front seems to have gone way down. The team has been a professional embarrassment too often lately. It will take a rehabilitation period for the team to start attracting FA again. Getting a star like Laf would help a little but it’s not like guys are racing to lineup to play in Edmonton with McDavid.

Reactions: Sweatred and DrEasy

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I know you’re not limiting this to FA but on that front I don’t think even a new owner would change things overnight. Ottawa has never been a prime FA destination, the teams rep on that front seems to have gone way down. The team has been a professional embarrassment too often lately. It will take a rehabilitation period for the team to start attracting FA again. Getting a star like Laf would help a little but it’s not like guys are racing to lineup to play in Edmonton with McDavid.

It will probably help if they actually end up looking like they are building a contending team.

I think that’s what brings in FAs and other big names.

Reactions: Bileur

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
2 seasons from now. Depending on this upcoming draft, we should be in the middle of the playoff run next season... With decent goaltending of course.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

Agreed. Exactly why Ottawa needs to draft, groom, and retain future superstars - they need ownership to financially support the roster, not the GM support the owner by making bad trades to save him money.

Reactions: Bileur

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Agreed. Exactly why Ottawa needs to draft, groom, and retain future superstars - they need ownership to financially support the roster, not the GM support the owner by making bad trades to save him money.

I agree with this accept for the end piece. If we sign of all our decent players that will be the equivalent of over paying on EK and MD type contracts that will have years of negative value and long non competitive cycles where we can’t buy our way out.

EK and MD types were worth more traded for their assets and keeping payroll flexibility. MD could almost be had for cap relief at this point.

I hope we continue to do that with our future stars. The main idea would be to put the best team of 23-29 year olds on the ice and recycle the UFA’s at the peak of their value. Fans would struggle but look how quickly the EK deal has turned. If we did it well we should be able to keep a competitive team in the ice and the prospect cupboard stocked like it currently is (after 2020 draft).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1