Weekly News Roundup (10/10 - 10/16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Whenever new news is posted in this thread (as long as it isn't legitimate spoilers, which belong in the spoiler thread) I will update the OP. New thread will be up every Monday from here on out for the week.

This also doesn't just have to be WWE news. It can be anything in the world of wrestling. Spoilers for other promotions need [SPOIL] tags, WWE/NXT spoilers need to go in the spoiler thread.

10/10

10/11

- The Elimination Chamber event returns in 2017, reportedly sandwiched between the Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania, along with another brand-specific event.

- Live events continue to turn out poor numbers in the crowd.

- BROKEN Matt Hardy will be hosting a "Total Nonstop Deletion", an episode of Impact recorded on his compound. He has invited numerous tag teams, including the "Bucks of the Youth", "The Express that Rock and Rolls" and "The Day who are New." Matt Hardy has offered to appear on MeekMahan's show in exchange for The New Day appearing on Total Nonstop Deletion.

10/12

- Alberto Del Rio's story changed again. For those keeping count, that's now three different versions of events:

- The first version was he got in a scuffle with a homeless guy outside a restaurant.
- The second version was an incident where he cut someone off by accident (or someone cut him off) and when they pulled to the side of the road, they got into a fight and the guy pulled a knife.
- The third and most recent version is that someone disrespected Paige and they got into a fight.

- Hideo Itami is out "for months" due to neck damage after Riddick Moss dropped him on his head in a powerslam spot at a live event.

10/13

- The Fight Network was the party that funded Bound for Glory and Impact tapings.

- Billy Corgan has filed a lawsuit against Dixie Carter and a temporary restraining order. Dixie Carter personally owes Billy Corgan money.

- TNA's former production company is suing TNA.

10/14

- Matt Sydal (formerly Evan Bourne) was arrested a few weeks ago entering Japan for possession of cannabis. He claimed to be stuck in Hawaii due to travel problems, but he was arrested with 2.12 grams on him. In Japan, you can face five years of prison time for just 0.5 grams.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Not a ton of Big Dave tonight.

Becky is out for a few weeks, but he doesn't know what exactly the issue is.

He isn't sure if Brock/Goldberg is still on for Survivor Series after Goldberg denied it on ESPN. Said maybe it is possible Goldberg isn't ready and they pushed it back, or want the bigger crowd at the Royal Rumble, but the initial plan was to use the match to push 2K17 sales going into Black Friday.

He isn't convinced that the plan is Shane/Brock at Mania, but that the booking does seem to indicate it so it is definitely possible.

The plan was always to put Sasha/Charlotte in a cell, and we may hear it become official tomorrow on RAW.

That said he hasn't heard anything yet about them main-eventing HIAC. He does think it would be smart for them to do that, and it is possible, especially after all that happening with No Mercy's card.

Dave doesn't expect anything to happen with the TNA sale until after the new year now that their taping are done. It is complicated as both Luxe and Corgan want it. He doesn't believe that WWE bought the tape library, but that it was discussed.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If the plan is for women to main event a ppv any time soon, the time to pull the trigger is now

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Ya now is the time to pull the trigger.

I do wish they were more patient with the title switch.

Main event in the Cell where Sasha regains the strap at home would of been epic.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Ya now is the time to pull the trigger.

I do wish they were more patient with the title switch.

Main event in the Cell where Sasha regains the strap at home would of been epic.

Can't wait for the nuclear heat Charlotte gets for regaining the title at HiaC in Sashas home town :sarcasm:

:nod: :yo: Charlottes 12-0 at PPV's

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The Elimination Chamber PPV will return in 2017.

I am definitely good with that. Elimination Chamber is a good gimmick match for PPV's to be based around as opposed to things like TLC and Hell in a Cell which suck. If they're going to do a gimmick match PPV setup, it needs to be in the mold of Royal Rumble, Money in the Bank, and what Elimination Chamber should be. It should be a setup for a later title match with numerous guys involved. Hell in a Cell and TLC tend to be plain matches between two competitors and the program isn't along far enough to warrant that type of match...with one exception...the weeLC match. That was hilarious.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I enjoyed having the Elimination Chamber as the PPV before Wrestlemania to set up the title match that wasn't decided from the Royal Rumble.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I don't mind a gimmick PPV like Elimination Chamber, but I've always had a bit of a gripe with naming it after the gimmick. I liked when they'd just imply the gimmick in the name, like when it was "No Way Out". It feels forced to just have Elimination Chamber, Hell in a Cell, TLC, Extreme Rules, or (thankfully this one is gone) Fatal 4 Way as the actual names to the PPVs.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't mind a gimmick PPV like Elimination Chamber, but I've always had a bit of a gripe with naming it after the gimmick. I liked when they'd just imply the gimmick in the name, like when it was "No Way Out". It feels forced to just have Elimination Chamber, Hell in a Cell, TLC, Extreme Rules, or (thankfully this one is gone) Fatal 4 Way as the actual names to the PPVs.

I agree with No Way Out as a good name for this. For some gimmick matches, it's pretty tame to name the show after it but it does work in some cases like Money in the Bank and Royal Rumble. Don't think it works too well for EC.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Raw or Smackdown?

No other details are out yet. I would assume Raw since they have the deeper roster, but on the other hand, Raw has the last PPV of 2016, then it's the Rumble, so you'd think they'd have the next brand specific show be on Smackdown.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I agree with No Way Out as a good name for this. For some gimmick matches, it's pretty tame to name the show after it but it does work in some cases like Money in the Bank and Royal Rumble. Don't think it works too well for EC.

Now that I think of it, I guess it is done well enough for shows like that. After initially posting that, I thought back to notice that this is actually a long-standing practice with Royal Rumble, Survivor Series and such but that I just never noticed it until the influx a few years back of B-level PPVs doing it.

Guess I should retract my statement that I have a gripe with the concept in all situations, however I modify my argument to be that I believe that doing so more than a couple shows a year is definitely too much.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF

I agree, MITB and the Rumble should be the only PPVs with a forced match type

I dont mind Extreme Rules and TLC too much though, since it gives us a little something different from time to time.

Hell in a Cell definitely needs to piss off as a PPV though

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Elimination Chamber was good because it set up Wrestlemania. It worked as a Royal Rumble-lite, and you could usually make a case for at least 3 or 4 of the guys in it, which is better when there is only 6 instead of 30. I didn't like it so much last year when it was in May. Not a fan of it being brand-specific though

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Elimination Chamber was good because it set up Wrestlemania. It worked as a Royal Rumble-lite, and you could usually make a case for at least 3 or 4 of the guys in it. I didn't like it so much last year when it was in May. Not a fan of it being brand-specific though

Honestly, I think it should be a setup for Survivor Series if anything. Survivor Series has been relegated so badly that it needs something leading up to it that might help it sell. An Elimination Chamber match to determine a #1 contender for a title match at Survivor Series could help. If Money in the Bank is going to be brand specific, this type of thing needs to be brand specific as well and go to the other show. Although, the flip side of having both shows be both rosters could alleviate some concerns people have. If you have six dual PPV shows a year, it means only six months of two PPV's per month instead of what looks right now to be eight.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
TNA is planning a full Broken episode of Total Nonstop Deletion.

Whole episode filmed at the compound with a main event Tag Team Apoclypto.

Matt has invited tag teams across time and space including "The Bucks of Youth" the "The express that Rocks and Rolls" and "The Days who are New".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad