Confirmed with Link: Weekes: The Avs are re-signing Justus Annunen, 2 year, 833k per, 1-way deal

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
But with all the cap issues, we certainly aren't adding more money to the goalie position.. so who do they get at or below Georgiev's cap hit that's a clear upgrade?
I don't think it needs to be a clear upgrade, but rather a stylistic fit. Someone like Ingram... but he would cost a pretty penny due to his contract. I imagine it would be something like a 1st + Behrens/Gulyayev to pry him from Arizona this offseason.

The question would be is it worth it - and honestly it may be if we get some assets back from cap crunch moves we'll inevitability need to make. Ingram + Annunen would be making under $3 mil combined.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
But with all the cap issues, we certainly aren't adding more money to the goalie position.. so who do they get at or below Georgiev's cap hit that's a clear upgrade?

Depending on how much Mitt's raise costs, and who they move in the off season, they may have room to afford a little more than George if needed. Hard to tell with so many factors unresolved.

We're dealing in a lot of hypotheticals here, but IMO the most likely factor to become true, is that if the starter fails them in the playoffs this year, and continues to let in soft goals, they won't want to go into next year with the same guy.

Unless Annunen comes in and stands on his head for a multi round run, he probably won't give them enough confidence to go with the same tandem either. They'd have two big question marks, and it seems doubtful they'll be comfortable with that after a hypothetical disappointing playoff loss.

I think they'll do what it takes to find someone else, but that's just my speculation. They probably won't be able to spend $6-7M on a starter, but maybe they can do something in the $4-5M range if they absolutely have to.

Annunen being over a $1M cheaper than Franky will help with that, and they can also pay a little extra for retention. Georgiev + 1st + prospect for $1-2M retention on a guy with 1-2 years left, for example. They got $1M retention for one year on Kuemper for Timmins + 1st + conditional 3rd.

Last edited:

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I don't think it needs to be a clear upgrade, but rather a stylistic fit. Someone like Ingram... but he would cost a pretty penny due to his contract. I imagine it would be something like a 1st + Behrens/Gulyayev to pry him from Arizona this offseason.

The question would be is it worth it - and honestly it may be if we get some assets back from cap crunch moves we'll inevitability need to make. Ingram + Annunen would be making under $3 mil combined.
Let's say both guys don't fair too well in the playoffs. I agree Georgiev is gone, but they've just committed themselves to Annunen and give him another shot. I just think it's more likely they sign/trade for a cheap platoon guy like Allen and try to keep Prosvetov before committing any high-priced replacements. If it doesn't work, they go big game hunting at the deadline with more cap flexibility - just how I see it realistically playing out if the worst happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad