GDT: Weekend @ Long Island's: Canes @ Isles

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
So where are our "haters"? When the Canes lose we've got a couple members who post often and are vociferously negative. I've noticed that they aren't around as much when we win. Do we have any psychologists on the board willing to take a shot at the possible dynamics in play?

GO CANES! Given inuries, playing with house money at this point imo, and still with a lot of assets to make a big move this off season.

Uh...look literally only 5 posts above yours.

I've got your dynamics right here.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Just to be clear, I'm not talking about venting frustrations, constructive criticisms, or suggested ways to improve. I'm talking about posts that carry implications along the lines of "the team has no heart", "we're too soft to compete in the playoffs", "player X is a complete waste", "based on past moves (or lack thereof) the Borg is incompetent", and even "is it time to question Brindy's future as the Canes coach?"

Uh...look literally only 5 posts above yours.

I've got your dynamics right here.

You may want to reread my post 2 down from the original one where I clarified what I meant. I would put you in that second category, not the one I referred to in the original post. Not sure why you automatically felt like you'd be included in the first, lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG and geehaad

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
You may want to reread my post 2 down from the original one where I clarified what I meant. I would put you in that second category, not the one I referred to in the original post. Not sure why you automatically felt like you'd be included in the first, lol.
Merely because I have criticized the Borg and said we’re too soft for the playoffs.

That’s not to say I won’t give credit where credit is due.

But yeah, the “Nattering Nabobs of Negativity” have expanded exponentially past myself and Borsig in the past few months so its difficult to keep track of who is being referred to.

Reactions: DaveG

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
3 of my Fave Screenshots / Moments from the Game (excuse the quality lol):

That Freddie / Chatty / Ghost Save in the Crease

freddie and defense goal line stand.jpg.png

Aho's Insane (and LEGAL) Hand Eye Coordination on the tying Goal
aho hand pass to himself and goal.jpg.png

Derek "Never Dissed" Stepan's Clutch Keep-in before the OT Goal
stepan clutch keep in 2.jpg.png

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

View attachment 699739

View attachment 699738

View attachment 699740

I don't think Stepan's keep-in has gotten enough credit. As it was happening I literally thought to myself "that's the type play that often directly leads to a goal against us". And then, what do you know?

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia

View attachment 699739

View attachment 699738

View attachment 699740
It would have been very interesting to see how a GI challenge would have gone if the Isles had scored there. Lee goes into Freddy at the side of the net on his own pulling him out of position but the goal would have been a few seconds later and not immediate.

Reactions: geehaad

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
I don't think Stepan's keep-in has gotten enough credit. As it was happening I literally thought to myself "that's the type play that often directly leads to a goal against us". And then, what do you know?
So many times i've wondered to myself how many goals against this year have been almost immediately preceded by maniscalco saying some version of "canes fail to clear."

I mean, i know it is probably common to all teams. Logically, failing to clear traps guys that need a change and raises the chances of being scored on. But damn it feels like the canes have done it constantly.

I bigly appreciate stepan's effort there.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
So many times i've wondered to myself how many goals against this year have been almost immediately preceded by maniscalco saying some version of "canes fail to clear."

I mean, i know it is probably common to all teams. Logically, failing to clear traps guys that need a change and raises the chances of being scored on. But damn it feels like the canes have done it constantly.

I bigly appreciate stepan's effort there.

Exactly. And on a play like the Isles one it may be even more than just the failure to clear. Isles had possession of the puck with relatively little pressure from the Canes so they started to head up the ice. When the puck was kept in, the momentum was totally in the other direction, providing time and space that normally isn't there. Kind of like when a guy coming out of the penalty box gets in alone behind the opposition. As you say, it probably happens to all teams but it's sure more noticeable when your team is the victim of it (or benefits by scoring a series winning goal :D).

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I mean through Game 5 pretty much every goal the Isles scored in the series, except for when it snowballed in Game 3 was immediately after a terrible neutral zone or defensive zone turnover by a Canes player.

It's only fitting the series ended one of the few times the Isles had one.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Hi fellow Carolinians, just wanted to say how impressive Staal, Slavin, Burns and Aho were.

Amazing how well Staal and Burns played during playoff hockey given their age and wear & tear. Staal is just an awesome hockey player.

Kudos to Aho and Slavin for stepping up when it matters (wish we had some guys like that).

Rooting for the Canes moving forward!

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
It's 1st of May, Vappu, the biggest celebration day in Finland, second only to Midsummer, so I'm ready to forgive LakeLivin for his blasphemy on the best prime minister we've had in Finland for decades. And I'm not kidding. Lempo et al. will disagree.

Reactions: geehaad

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
It's 1st of May, Vappu, the biggest celebration day in Finland, second only to Midsummer, so I'm ready to forgive LakeLivin for his blasphemy on the best prime minister we've had in Finland for decades. And I'm not kidding. Lempo et al. will disagree.
Ruh? Link?

I'm a fan. (No idea what she stands for, but I'm a fan!)

Reactions: Stubu

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
cheech-marin.jpg

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Merely because I have criticized the Borg and said we’re too soft for the playoffs.

That’s not to say I won’t give credit where credit is due.

But yeah, the “Nattering Nabobs of Negativity” have expanded exponentially past myself and Borsig in the past few months so its difficult to keep track of who is being referred to.
+10 for pulling out the classic Spiro Agnew quote.....I'm one of the few here who actually remember when that quote torched across all media (meaning, at the time, newspapers and network television).

• Haha
Reactions: chaz4hockey

toastmasterbone

Mar 14, 2013
mebbin
I'm recently separated, so I'm now free to say things like the following:

If your Prime Minister ever needs a Subprime Mister, I'm ready.

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
I'm certainly guilty of ragging on the Borg. FWIW, I'm very proud of this team and how they never quit. so impressed with KK's development as well. He is a big reason for our success right now so Borg deserves credit. Pool party looks like a guy learning how to skate so not on board with that deadline move but overall team has impressed.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Ruh? Link?

I'm a fan. (No idea what she stands for, but I'm a fan!)
My misreading, mea culpa. Not sure what I was thinking.

Perhaps she stands for good principles in conflicting circumstances poorly communicated. Anyway,

Back to hockey and stickpuck and non-soccer, I promise.

Don't shoot me for being also a part-time Stars fan. What a time to be a Finn homer, well, domestic politics notwithstanding, ahaha

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I'm recently separated, so I'm now free to say things like the following:

If your Prime Minister ever needs a Subprime Mister, I'm ready.
I feel we need more talk about North Carolinan barbecue and less talk about who in the fanbase is in their prime or if their moonshine just reached it lol

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
+10 for pulling out the classic Spiro Agnew quote.....I'm one of the few here who actually remember when that quote torched across all media (meaning, at the time, newspapers and network television).

I had a drill sergeant once shout out randomly "I am in charge! I am in charge! Like Alexander Haig, I. Am. In. Charge!"

I was the only one who got it and laughed. Still had to do pushups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad