Pre-Game Talk: Week to Worry (VAN, @OTT, @DET, @BUF)

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The solution to MacKinnon's struggles shouldn't always just be to move him to wing. He's a center and I think he should remain there.

Roy gave him a lot of time to snap out of it by keeping him with Duchene for so long but it didn't happen. So something had to change but Roy isn't helping him at all right now with the current lines.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The solution to MacKinnon's struggles shouldn't always just be to move him to wing. He's a center and I think he should remain there.

Roy gave him a lot of time to snap out of it by keeping him with Duchene for so long but it didn't happen. So something had to change but Roy isn't helping him at all right now with the current lines.

Could be a good opportunity for both MacK and Mikko to be honest if you put them together as well. Give MacK some easier matchups with Mikko on his wing if you want to ease Mikko in against lesser competition. It gives Mikko a dynamic center to play with at least without as much exposure.

No matter how you try to work it out, it just makes a ton of sense to bring Mikko up and force one the anchors off of MacKs wing.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
We could do it next year if we used the money to bring in at least one guy like Comeau, then maybe get a Everberg type or Compher blows the doors off.

Duchene - Mikko
Landy - Soda
Greg - MacK

Would go with those as well.
Then play competent 2nd/3rd liners with them to fill in the spots.

Someone like Comeau with Söderberg, maybe try Everberg with MacKinnon (which probably won't work as Everberg isn't good enough), Iggy could try to keep up (although unlikely) or maybe we sign a cheap"ish" FA or a youngster surprises.

The fact is that if Mitchell plays as our 3C we are in trouble in the long run.
Having MacK-Duchene-Söderberg as our triple-punch in the middle will give us more flexibility as it allows us to stack-up when we need to and allows us an injury or two.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Would go with those as well.
Then play competent 2nd/3rd liners with them to fill in the spots.

Someone like Comeau with Söderberg, maybe try Everberg with MacKinnon (which probably won't work as Everberg isn't good enough), Iggy could try to keep up (although unlikely) or maybe we sign a cheap"ish" FA or a youngster surprises.

The fact is that if Mitchell plays as our 3C we are in trouble in the long run.
Having MacK-Duchene-Söderberg as our triple-punch in the middle will give us more flexibility as it allows us to stack-up when we need to and allows us an injury or two.

Me and Tiger have discussed this briefly, the only season Roy had the ammunition to run three lines deep like that was his first year. However my mention of it is because hes tried it at the start of every year. So there is merit to expect it, unless of course Roy has decided he wants Duchene on the wing long term. If that's the case, then you have to wonder about Roy only wanting to use Grigorenko at center for a while, and then Mikko playing center in the AHL.

Just saying there is some conspiracy theory level indicators for it in terms of future plans either way.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I like those trios, if it worked out like that would be fine by me. Just that it seems they can't keep it that way long and some line does inevitably end up getting less minutes. If they all were good would be a good problem to have.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
I like those trios, if it worked out like that would be fine by me. Just that it seems they can't keep it that way long and some line does inevitably end up getting less minutes. If they all were good would be a good problem to have.

There is nothing wrong in playing 3 strong lines an average of 17 minutes a game (hypothetical game with no penalties) with the 4th line gathering 9.
If a line struggles, play the lines that are hot instead.
That also allows the possibility to play at least some of the good players on PK to allow for more chances. Landeskog, Söderberg, Comeau, Duchene, Rantanen (I guess) could easily play PK as well with less minutes 5-on-5.

But to get 3 lines that work well is really hard. To get 3 lines that work well and provide good offense is extremely hard.
That is why I think it's worth a punt at least.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
There is nothing wrong in playing 3 strong lines an average of 17 minutes a game (hypothetical game with no penalties) with the 4th line gathering 9.
If a line struggles, play the lines that are hot instead.
That also allows the possibility to play at least some of the good players on PK to allow for more chances. Landeskog, Söderberg, Comeau, Duchene, Rantanen (I guess) could easily play PK as well with less minutes 5-on-5.

But to get 3 lines that work well is really hard. To get 3 lines that work well and provide good offense is extremely hard.
That is why I think it's worth a punt at least.

Yeah, if you can pull it off at 5v5. I firmly believe that your best players are far better off in the second half of the season though IMO. Just due to fatigue.

I think playing like that so much in Roy's first season is what allowed us to go on the run we did to take over the Division. Well, it contributed to the main factor which was goaltending obviously lol.

Our team didn't look nearly as tired in the second half as they do now.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
It's a good theory but it rarely works out that way where the lines are truly even.

I think you really need to promote natural chemistry, and it's now this team survived during the early Sacco years. When guys like O'Reilly and Landeskog had great chemistry and could have that third winger be someone like Winnik lol.

That's why I pick those pairs, not because I think Mikko couldn't fit well with MacK. However,

Duchy (LH) - Mikko (Natural RW)
Greg (LH) - MacK (RH)
Landy (LH) - Soda (RH LH)

Based on player type, natural positions, and handedness it's the path of least resistance if you want to go that route IMO.

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I could see it truly be about the best matchup or who is hot. Of we really had 9 good forwards it could work out. But we are just trying to get 6. :laugh:

Soda is a lefty. Is Comeau a righty? I never really paid attention.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
All discussions about Avs on the main forums are pointless. It's not like Avs fans pretend Avs are a good team. Just a team that's around 7th-10th in the West, mainly due to getting good goaltending and being above average at scoring at their chances.

But fans of other teams act as if we believe that Avs have somehow unlocked the secret to being a great team despite being outshot and they start their corsi/regression sermon for the hundredth time.

Seriously? We know how highly average Avs are. We sit through the games and are frustrated by how they play.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I could see it truly be about the best matchup or who is hot. Of we really had 9 good forwards it could work out. But we are just trying to get 6. :laugh:

Soda is a lefty. Is Comeau a righty? I never really paid attention.

I thought Soda was right handed for some reason. Also thought there was some comments some where that Comeau was actually a natural LW. It's hard to keep track of that stuff with players who didn't get a lot of exposure prior to coming here.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
All discussions about Avs on the main forums are pointless. It's not like Avs fans pretend Avs are a good team. Just a team that's around 7th-10th in the West, mainly due to getting good goaltending and being above average at scoring at their chances.

But fans of other teams act as if we believe that Avs have somehow unlocked the secret to being a great team despite being outshot and they start their corsi/regression sermon for the hundredth time.

Seriously? We know how highly average Avs are. We sit through the games and are frustrated by how they play.

I don't think Varly is as highly regarded around the league, so that's not the automatic 'jump to' conclusion that it probably would be otherwise.

Otherwise people would be comparing us to Montreal quite a bit more with Price being out and threatening the goal-tending collapse more.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
It's us!
CbDxUlGUMAApQUp.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbDxUlGUMAApQUp.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad