Pre-Game Talk: Week to Worry (VAN, @OTT, @DET, @BUF)

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Be prepared for some new lines, just based off what I see on the Avs snapchat (very scientific). It could just be the bottom 2 lines, but looked like McLeod with Wagner and Tanguay.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think the Avs probably have 5, but one of them they're taking it slow with in the minors. Duchene, Landy, Nate, Soda, and Mikko.

My guess is they'll have six next year. Maybe even seven if they get aggressive with a trade and UFA addition.

And I'd agree with you, but Rantanen isn't in the NHL. The Avs are basically playing with 4 top 6 players, maybe 3 3rd liners, 2 washed up vets, and a bunch of 4th liners and fringe 4th line/AHL players up front. It isn't really a recipie for great success. Combine that with Holden being in the top 4 and the junk that is the 6-8 defensemen... there are going to be lots of bumps here.

The Avs have done well to fight back into the playoffs... now they need to find a way to solidify it. I don't think it is a sure thing (not even close) with the lineup they are putting out there every night... they need a top 6 forward and they need to find a way to shore up the defense a bit more. The former... giving a shot to Rantanen is the move I'd make. If he can't cut it... then test the market. I wouldn't necessarily make a move, but at least getting an idea of what is out there. For defense... they have options, but none of them are great. Bigras needs more minutes, but isn't ready for a big load. Zadorov could help, but there isn't a great place to slot him without giving Bigras more minutes than he should have or sending him back down. Holden, he has been fine this year, but he can't be reasonably expected to play as much as he has. There are issues up and down there, and no great options. I've stated this for a month now, but if they want the top 4 (as constructed) to hold up, they need to get Bigras and whoever his partner is more minutes. I don't think the Avs have a partner capable of doing that... they'd need to make a small move.

DUHockey

Dec 15, 2015
Roy said in his presser that Berra and Skille were not on the trip for now. Leaving the door open to join the team during the trip.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If only there was a team that we could magically get those guys from.

None of those guys are proven in those capacities and would be huge question marks. Could Rantanen solve the top 6 issue... I'd say there is a decent chance. Zadorov in a top 4 role... awfully risky, but potentially he may run with it. Everberg... I wouldn't give him a single chance of making an impact on the 3rd line right now. Swapping with Marty... sure, Everberg can do as well on the 4th line. 3rd.. I really have my doubts.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
If the Avs had 1 more top 6 forward, 1 more 3rd liner, and one top 4D... This team is entirely different. The solutions to those are on the horizon, but not there yet. I'd consider that depth. The Avs have their top centers, top line players, top end defensemen, and top end goalie. The high end talent is in place. Now they need to surround that talent with adequate depth. Iggy and Zadorov were planned to be part of those players, it just didn't work... both age at different ends of the spectrum.

I guess we just look at that term differently. I certainly wouldn't include top6 forward or a top4 D in there. Depth to me is the guys lower down on the ladder who get moved up when injuries hit. the 1 more top6 forward and top4 D are considered complimentray top6/4 players imo, and are part of the high end talent level. For example, Comeau, in his current role, is a complimentray top6 forward. He isnt moving up or filling in for anyone if injuries hit. He isn't providing depth at his positioN because he is already at the top with the other top6 forwards.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
And I'd agree with you, but Rantanen isn't in the NHL. The Avs are basically playing with 4 top 6 players, maybe 3 3rd liners, 2 washed up vets, and a bunch of 4th liners and fringe 4th line/AHL players up front. It isn't really a recipie for great success. Combine that with Holden being in the top 4 and the junk that is the 6-8 defensemen... there are going to be lots of bumps here.

The Avs have done well to fight back into the playoffs... now they need to find a way to solidify it. I don't think it is a sure thing (not even close) with the lineup they are putting out there every night... they need a top 6 forward and they need to find a way to shore up the defense a bit more. The former... giving a shot to Rantanen is the move I'd make. If he can't cut it... then test the market. I wouldn't necessarily make a move, but at least getting an idea of what is out there. For defense... they have options, but none of them are great. Bigras needs more minutes, but isn't ready for a big load. Zadorov could help, but there isn't a great place to slot him without giving Bigras more minutes than he should have or sending him back down. Holden, he has been fine this year, but he can't be reasonably expected to play as much as he has. There are issues up and down there, and no great options. I've stated this for a month now, but if they want the top 4 (as constructed) to hold up, they need to get Bigras and whoever his partner is more minutes. I don't think the Avs have a partner capable of doing that... they'd need to make a small move.

Agreed. The D has been the same issue for a long time now, so that's nothing new. It's just finalizing a transitionary phase which should have two new full time additions next year at least.

Up front I think the issue is guys are just letting them down from what they expected. Iggy and Tangs have regressed incredibly quick this year, to the point where they're not even able to contribute in a 3rd line tweener role. Comeau has been good for the most part this year, but since his wife had his new baby, he's looked pretty terrible out there. Very poor puck management.

Then there's two key players who's games have been off for various reasons. Landy has played below expectations all year, but most of us agree that's due to playing through injury. Nate however, has been pretty off his game for a long time now though as well. Going way back to when Duchene got switched to his wing. He has been picking up points, but mostly leeching off Duchene, with some nice plays from himself every once in awhile. Mostly though he's made a lot of bad decisions with the puck, and generally hasn't looked like himself. Poor passing and poor shot accuracy.

Combine that with Duchene's freezing cold start, and they've had a lot of forwards underperform this year. Without a bottom six that can be counted on to provide consistent depth scoring, and I think that shows a big part of the problem.

That hopefully will be rectified next year with the addition of Mikko, a likely new forward from outside the organization, a healthy Landy, and an older MacKinnon, with at the very least Tanguay moving on.

DUHockey

Dec 15, 2015
If only there was a team that we could magically get those guys from.

I get a boot out of this. Everberg is now a 3rd liner here.

When he was with the Avs earlier this year in his 15 games with zero points and -5 was there a big call to get him on the 3rd line then. This just shows how much talent in the AHL is over valued.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

When he was with the Avs earlier this year in his 15 games with zero points and -5 was there a big call to get him on the 3rd line then. This just shows how much talent in the AHL is over valued.

He played 55 games last year, and looked good in just about every one of them.

We have seen the talent at this level. It would just be a matter of which guy we got. Last years version who quietly played a solid game night in and night out, or this year's version that got sent down, according to Roy, because he wasn't playing his game, or something like that.

The problem with Everberg is that of who he replaces. We just have too much of a log jam in the bottom 6, and we need Rantanen in the top6 even more. I would love to see Everberg back. He is one of my favorites. But I just don't see him coming up this year without there being injuries. Martinsen is the only guy we have who does not have to go through waivers. And I'm sure that's who we would swap Rantanen with, assuming he comes up with a healthy roster.

Last edited:

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver

I don't think it's a stretch to say that all three of those guys are upgrades over the guys that are currently filling those roles.

Rantanen > Comeau
Everberg > Martinsen
Zadorov >= Holden (definitely better than Chuck or Redmond)

I don't necessarily think the Avs will magically turn a corner if those three are called up, but like others have said, it'd be nice to ice our best roster while the team is trying to make the playoffs. The last set of call ups led to one of the best stretches of Avs hockey we've seen all year.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'd be interested to see them try Barrie and EJ together for a stretch. Beauch, Holden and Bigras can all be rotated through with one another until we add another competent dman that spares us from playing Redmond or ol' NewBalls. Swap Soda and Mack on top of that, and we could see a spark to help carry us over until we can add the guys we lack (be it via call-up or trade).

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'd be interested to see them try Barrie and EJ together for a stretch. Beauch, Holden and Bigras can all be rotated through with one another until we add another competent dman that spares us from playing Redmond or ol' NewBalls. Swap Soda and Mack on top of that, and we could see a spark to help carry us over until we can add the guys we lack (be it via call-up or trade).

Maybe it'll help EJ and Barrie stop looking like 3rd pairing defensemen. Especially Barrie, who for the last month has looked like Zach Redmond's clone.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Is it more likely he gets called up depending on the success or failure of the trip? Like an 0-3 record probably see some serious changes. But if going on the road helps them and they go 3-0 maybe they put it off.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'll start to be concerned after tomorrows game. If Roy does not call Rantanen up tomorrow morning, and we lose tomorrows game. That means he bet on himself being able to motivate what's on this current roster enough without a shake up in order to turn things around.

Which means hes wrong, and two means he made the wrong choice. Both have the same consequence and some weight in evaluating his competency as a coach and personnel manager.

I do believe that when younger players are called up, it for whatever reason gives this team a boost. We've seen the history of that even as recently as this season with the young defenders.

Practically every time we draft high, or after we call up good young players this team plays well. As weird as it may be, it's been fairly consistent. Could be the timing of it, but who knows really.

There really isn't any more margin for error here, they've squandered what little they had. It's either now or never with this road trip. They need to catch about 5 out of 6 points in the next three games.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Might have to do with how long they expect Skille to be out. The trip is kind of the last effort to pull them together and see what they can do on the road. They are going to have to decide something soon.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Really disappointed with Gormley. We didn't give up anything I guess. But still. Was hoping for a little more than this.

Gormley just doesn't seem willing to engage. He has a good skillset in terms of his ability to make smart decisions with the puck (when he has time), but you can tell why he hasn't succeeded yet. Extremely weak on the puck, slow skater, and doesn't make up for those facts with a tenacious playing style.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad