Pre-Game Talk: Week to Worry (VAN, @OTT, @DET, @BUF)

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Gormley looked better against NHL'ers than he does right now against AHL'ers.

Gormley is in such a weird position with this team. He looked ok to me, though had some things he could still improve on. Now he hasn't looked particularly good, and is clearly behind both Bigras and Zadorov in the Avs long term plans. Then there's some decent competition on the horizon after that.

Really feels like he'll be a part of a deadline trade. Either as a throw in on a bigger trade, or as another prospect swap. Maybe just for a pick to open up a roster spot.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Gormley is in such a weird position with this team. He looked ok to me, though had some things he could still improve on. Now he hasn't looked particularly good, and is clearly behind both Bigras and Zadorov in the Avs long term plans. Then there's some decent competition on the horizon after that.

Really feels like he'll be a part of a deadline trade. Either as a throw in on a bigger trade, or as another prospect swap. Maybe just for a pick to open up a roster spot.

He just went though waivers, not sure who is going to give up a pick for him?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think they'll just let Gormley walk. He's still getting minutes but they really don't have much better down there either.

I could see that if they don't include him in a trade. He still carries a little bit of value though as a prospect. Probably more than Siemens or Hishon, and I bet they're looking to make similar moves with them. We'll trade you our last chance prospect for your last chance prospect type of moves.

Maybe not, but things change all the time throughout a season in terms of players that passed through waivers. It's very situational. Certain teams that thought they might still be in the playoff race and wanted to save a contract spot might feel differently now for example.

Also, now that he's in the minors, they don't have to force him into their NHL lineup right away, like they would have if they claimed him off waivers.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

With waivers, the player has to stay in the NHL or go through waivers again. With Gormley already being waived, a team can keep him in the AHL through the spring and re-evaluate him next year without risk of losing him.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
All I pray for is that Gormely is a throw in on a deal for a better player so we can keep the Lindros Trade Tree going...that thing is on life-support right now. Basically, all I'm hoping for the rest of the season is seeing that tree get a little TLC. Nothing Else Matters....

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
6 important games tomorrow. Is it going to be a good day for the Avs? I really hope so.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
4/6 points thus far is pretty good but I'm now even more worried about this team than I was coming into the week.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Look im glad we are in a spot and thats great but if it werent for Minny's just crazy record at like 1-10-2 in the last 13 or something like that we would and should be way behind them.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Look im glad we are in a spot and thats great but if it werent for Minny's just crazy record at like 1-10-2 in the last 13 or something like that we would and should be way behind them.

We would still have a playoff spot in the pacific, we still would have a playoff spot 1-8. Nobody has given us anything. Y'all let the main board and the national media beat you down too much.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
This team makes me sad. I know we won but still...

we could be icing a top 6 of Mack, Duchene, Landy, Rantanen, Grigo and Soderberg, instead we have Mitchell, Mcleod and Tanguay in the top 2 lines. Im not on the trade Mitchell train but he shouldn't be playing with Duchene or Mack.

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
This team makes me sad. I know we won but still...

we could be icing a top 6 of Mack, Duchene, Landy, Rantanen, Grigo and Soderberg, instead we have Mitchell, Mcleod and Tanguay in the top 2 lines. Im not on the trade Mitchell train but he shouldn't be playing with Duchene or Mack.

Dude Mack is playing with McLeod and Tanguay. That is the third line right now. Actually, I'm confused, if you think Mitchell, McLeod and Tanguay are part of the top two lines, do you think the Soderskog line is the third line??? Like what? That is practically our first line

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

And if it wasn't for our crappy start we we would even further ahead.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
If the Avs had a dime for every time someone said "the only reason Avs are in a playoff spot is because the Wild and Preds are struggling " we would probably have enough money for Radulov, Mack/Barrie extensions.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
If the Avs had a dime for every time someone said "the only reason Avs are in a playoff spot is because the Wild and Preds are struggling " we would probably have enough money for Radulov, Mack/Barrie extensions.

We'd probably have enough money to become a cap team :sarcasm:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
What are people's thoughts on moving Mack back to right wing?

Grigs - Duchene - rantanen
Landy - soda - mack

This is from the Ottawa thread, ill take whatever **** works at this point. Also whatever does not involve Mitchell, Tanguay, Iginla, McLeod, and whatever other plug we have playing in the top six.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
This is from the Ottawa thread, ill take whatever **** works at this point. Also whatever does not involve Mitchell, Tanguay, Iginla, McLeod, and whatever other plug we have playing in the top six.

Soda mack and landy would be like the Stastny landy and mackinnon line. Soda has assisted on alot of Mackinnon goals this season.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
MacKinnon needs to take his lumps as a centre now rather than later. Keep him there.

Just a question of do we leave Duchene on the wing.

We could keep up this bull **** lineup a bit better if they called up Mikko, but they haven't done that yet.

Landeskog - Soderberg - Comeau
Mitchell/Tanguay - Duchene - Mikko
Grigorenko - MacK - Everberg/Martinsen/Iginla

If they really want to run plugs with these guys they need two guys on the line that are the drivers of the line. The only excuse for this is to develop chemistry between MacK and Greg long term and give them both some easier matchups. Same thing with Mikko and Duchene, but their better defensively so they should be able to take some more difficult minutes.

I'd rather just stack the deck with Mikko up, but at least this has positive long term effects if they're going to force it.

You can't stick MacK on an island by himself with two useless players, and expect positive results IMO.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Is Soda going back to 3C? I guess someday he would but I dont think we are going to have enough talent for 3 real scoring lines next season.

We could do it next year if we used the money to bring in at least one guy like Comeau, then maybe get a Everberg type or Compher blows the doors off.

Duchene - Miiko
Landy - Soda
Greg - MacK

Comeau + ? + ?

Let MacK & Greg develop a bit together, and fill in the blanks

We know Roy will try it regardless of what's on the roster, as he has every year.

That would be cheaper than adding a 6M dollar guy, it would be more of a 3M guy. But I still think Radulov is the target if we can afford him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad