Pre-Game Talk: Week to Start Shopping (PHI, FLA, @WPG)

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Obviously him and Z is why I watch but getting off my ass and going down there is different.

Yeah, I wanted to go to the Detroit/CBJ game just to see the young kids on Columbus. However my wife was like, "Hell no, I'm not paying to watch Detroit get blown out".

I watched it on TV and CBJ smoked them at home lol, the wife went to bed about half way through the 2nd period.

Although I have to enjoy it in silence, because I am at a bit of a disadvantage for talking **** there.

I can't imagine paying to see the Avs right now with how they are playing at home especially.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I'm about to head to the front range for the next week. I might go to the game on the 22nd... but skiing sounds so, so much better.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Maybe we'll see Marty get a start eventually.

Don't tempt me. Maybe he can put together good consecutive games.

Maybe Picks should be getting the games a starter normally would, and Varly should get the games a backup normally would. Maybe then his groin would hold up for the entire season.

Maybe Pickard shouldn't be posting RBS in every consecutive start he's had so far.

Uh we might have to draft a goalie early this year

Again, don't tempt me.

Not sure we needed a Varly injury for that? lol

The guy did let in six goals in a relief effort in Montreal the night before Toronto.

Who cares what he did in relief :laugh:

Martin is as good of a prospect as any.

Agreed and boy is he good.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Hit was fine. This is professional hockey.

I didn't see the game (thankfully).

I can understand banning fighting given the probability of a player developing CTE. That said, the game, as it now exists, involves fighting at times. So, if Emelin says the game is 60 minutes, then too bad if he gets smacked in a fight. Because the reality is if Emelin has to run away because a hit to the head could kill him, then he shouldn't be playing hockey. That may be harsh POV but someone that fragile shouldn't be playing hockey.

There's a reason why many teams are vague in describing players' injuries. Upper/lower body. They don't want their player targeted and opposing teams do that. You exploit your opponents' weaknesses. So it's up to the team to keep the vulnerable player off the ice.

I absolutely don't want to endanger Emelin or see him seriously injured or killed. But his remark about the game being 60 minutes goes both ways. It should be made absolutely clear to Emelin that if you play the game where you provoke someone with a questionable hit, then getting into a fight is a possibility and there will be no place to hide. That's hockey.

You know, Emelin could also get accidentally boarded and have his face smack it. Isn't that danger just as bad as getting into a fight? Well, Emelin could die from that too. It just reinforces my point that the guy shouldn't be playing hockey. **** happens.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
the snow suuuuucckkks this year. Kinda like the avs

After the last week, not so much. 3' at WP/Steamboat. Given the snow the northern mtns are supposed to get tonight + Fri/Sat, they should be around normal for this time of year - by the end of the weekend.

Edit: Winter Park has had 50" in the past 9 days. My buddy just drove down from there this afternoon, said it's snowing on Berthoud Pass.

Last edited:

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Don't tempt me. Maybe he can put together good consecutive games.

Maybe Pickard shouldn't be posting RBS in every consecutive start he's had so far.

You are putting a lot of weight on a negative stat that the guy you are defending was tied for second in the league last year. Varly had 10 in 57 starts, Pickard had 1 in 13...Rinne had the most with 11 in 66. This year, Varly and Picks are tied in RBS and QS%, with Picks leading in SV% and Win%. Oh, and one of Picks RBS was by 0.001 GAA. It counts because a cutoff is a cutoff, but when doing analysis, it helps to look at the underlying numbers. Pickard's RBS's were 0.849, 0.840 and 0.800. Varly's (in double the starts, granted), were 0.821, 0.810 and 0.800. And his relief game was 0.625 in the same game that Pickard got an RBS, so I am willing to put all that on the team, rather than either one of the tenders. Pickard's 1.000 in relief was 3/3 in 20min so not sure it should count.

As far a Quality starts. They have the same %, so Picks has 5, worst of which is 0.923, and Varly has 10, worst of which is .919. Both have 1 shutout, so best is even, though Picks made more saves in his. And they have the same number of RBS, at 3. So Picks has one game in the middle ground...not Quality, but not Really Bad. I am going to call those Below Average Games, 0.851 to League Average. Picks has 1 BAG, at 0.903, which was a win. Varly has 6 BAGs, at 0.861 0.864 0.868 and 2@ 0.875, all losses and one BAG that is also a QS that is in the gray area ... bad sv% but only 2 goals, so it qualifies...and it was a win :). Varly does lead in HQ starts 5-1 (my thing, over 0.950%). The numbers seem to indicate that Varly is more mercurial, and Pickard is more steady. (Side note, the same goes for the two best goalies here in Bangkok...the Russian is better when on his game and worse when not).

I am not one to state that Pickard is definitely ready for the full time role. I am of the opinion that Varly should be the one shopped, due to potential return and contract cost, on top of injury history and what seems like declining ability. But I am leery of doing it before we know what we have going forward.

BTW, correct spelling of leery (suspicious, wary), vs. Leary (Dennis' and Timothy's surname) for those reading and want to use that word in the future...pet peeve of mine, along with role (job) vs roll (what a tire does). And I understand the odd typo, so dont hang me for my own...but proper word usage is different. If I screw that up, I want folks to correct me, so I know better next time.

What I would like to see is Picks given 3 consecutive starts. Show some faith in him after a rough one (if the middle one follows this years pattern). Give him a real shot again this year. He did well last year, but every time he struggles this year, the rug gets yanked. Show him some confidence...not like he would be that much worse in that third start than Varly's typical 3rd start (only one of his 3rd consecutive games this year was over 0.875).

All that said, I am not really qualified to judge goalies on technique or talent. I have to go by what I like to see, and by stats...which I fully admit is inadequate. If you want to talk about how Pickard fails by those standards, I have to bow to your expertise. But when talking statistics, I can lie better than most damn liars.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
For whom it may interest, I re-activated my NHL.TV subscription last saturday, since they offered me a discount. I'm now paying $3,99 per month. I had cancelled it last month.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
with so many injuries happening, I hope they call up sometime Nantel. I mean, they already called freaking Samuel Henley, why not Nantel? give the boy at least one NHL game, won`t hurt anything.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
For whom it may interest, I re-activated my NHL.TV subscription last saturday, since they offered me a discount. I'm now paying $3,99 per month. I had cancelled it last month.

I can only hope you missed a digit from that or they're going to get a very angry e-mail from me.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
I can only hope you missed a digit from that or they're going to get a very angry e-mail from me.

Ok, i just now paid attention to the confirmation e-mail :laugh:, that price is for the first month only.

I will have to cancel it before they charge the second month.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Ok, i just now paid attention to the confirmation e-mail :laugh:, that price is for the first month only.

I will have to cancel it before they charge the second month.

I've been fairly happy with nhl.TV. the only issue I have is the glitching that tends to happen through out the game (at least on ps4)

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
I've been fairly happy with nhl.TV. the only issue I have is the glitching that tends to happen through out the game (at least on ps4)

My only issue is that the team i like to watch sucks, and i'm not willing pay $20 anymore, maybe $4 but not $20.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Sorry guys, GDT is coming. Took longer than I thought and I had to leave for work. I'll finish it on my lunch break.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00