Pre-Game Talk: Week to Start Shopping (PHI, FLA, @WPG)

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

I know people hated the hit (and that is completely fair), but this mindset would be nice on this team.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO

I know people hated the hit (and that is completely fair), but this mindset would be nice on this team.

That's fair but I think we have the capacity to distinguish between playing a full 60 minute game as pushing hard until the last whistle and the kind of mentality that leads to a guy throwing a check like that, that late in a 10-1 blowout.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
That's fair but I think we have the capacity to distinguish between playing a full 60 minute game as pushing hard until the last whistle and the kind of mentality that leads to a guy throwing a check like that, that late in a 10-1 blowout.

Like I said it is fair to not like the hit, but I'm on the side of playing the whole game like you should regardless of the score. If Mironov ever comes over, he would do the same thing in a blowout. Other teams will be complaining, while we love him.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

Sounds like the same mentality that condones dangerously low hip checks in an entire league.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
3 seconds left in the period and the opposition is carrying the puck through the neutral zone from their own zone. Do you throw a bone crushing hit or just force him wide?

You throw that needless hit, you're going to get jumped. Same thing in this situation.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
Like I said it is fair to not like the hit, but I'm on the side of playing the whole game like you should regardless of the score. If Mironov ever comes over, he would do the same thing in a blowout. Other teams will be complaining, while we love him.

I don't have a problem with the hit, I have a problem with the timing of the hit in a 10-1 game. If Mironov comes over and it laying big hits like that in competitive games of course I'll love him - if he throws a low hip check in a 10-1 blowout with 3 minutes left then I won't be a fan of that hit.

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
I don't want our players making that hit, nor any other player on the league. It should be illegal already.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
My only issue with that play was the big wuss Colbourne not doing a damn thing about it. No heart, no pride just oh its ok hit me as hard as you want in a 10-1 game I wont do nothing. Joe Sakic should have thrown his ass on waivers as soon as the game was over. Im still dusgusted by that.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I hope we cheap shot one of their (top) players next game. Blindside hit to a guy w/o the puck, elbow, knee, butt-end, boarding, name it. That hit at that time was just an intent to injure. Yeah and pummel Emelin's face. I don't buy that plate-in-the-jaw excuse. Sounds like russian bullcrap if you ask me.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I just don't think it is in good taste to throw a hit like that if you are up 10 - 1 and already embarassing the opposing team.

It just feels like needlessly humiliating your opponent even further beyond the scoreline and bringing unnecessary emotions and violence into this already extreme situation.

Basically throwing gasoline on a fire. Not something I would want any of our guys to do.

IceRat

#BallsOutTheDoor
Mar 4, 2011
no reason to start shopping
time to take advantage of that extended holiday return policy

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
My thoughts, Emelin has every right to make that hit as Iginla has every right to go after him in a 10-1 game. I was more pissed at Price for interfering than I was at anything else IMO.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
We lost 10-1 and were then badly outplayed by a non-playoff team the next game....the Emelin hit is small-fry, I'd let it go sheesh.

TheForsbergShow

Apr 4, 2016
Edmonton
Ya I dont see a problem with the hit at all. As mentioned this team never plays a full game. Idc what the score was the game was still going . Finish it out to the end and show some pride. Stir **** up if you have to, to show that you care.

Iggy showing a little bit of fight is one of the few things he has done good all year on ice for this team.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
Back to this coming week...I think that after a game like the Montreal one it shouldn't surprise anyone that they were able to come out with energy and do a lot of the things they did well against the Leafs that everyone seems to have noticed - obviously if they hadn't I think we'd all be even more worried about the direction of this team than we already are.

That said the challenge is obviously to keep that energy and effort - it shouldn't take a close to franchise worst embarrassment to get your players to give the appropriate level of effort in a game so it would be good to see that level of energy and effort stay. Obviously you're still not going to suddenly start winning every game but at this point it's more about seeing steps in the right direction as opposed to the wrong one.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
My thoughts, Emelin has every right to make that hit as Iginla has every right to go after him in a 10-1 game. I was more pissed at Price for interfering than I was at anything else IMO.

This and Emelin just ducking the fight after he hit Iggy. The hit itself wasn't an issue.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Meh I don't blame emelin for making the hit or not really dropping the gloves. Iginla came flying at him so Emelin simply dropped him too. Why should he have to fight after making a clean hit on a no name fourth liner on the worst team in the NHL. If it was dirty, sure. If it was on a star or somebody in vulnerable position, sure. Colborne just got rocked.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Emelin can't fight. He has steel plates in his cheeks. He can't take a punch at all, so he has to duck everything.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Meh I don't blame emelin for making the hit or not really dropping the gloves. Iginla came flying at him so Emelin simply dropped him too. Why should he have to fight after making a clean hit on a no name fourth liner on the worst team in the NHL. If it was dirty, sure. If it was on a star or somebody in vulnerable position, sure. Colborne just got rocked.

Players have to answer for clean hits all the time. Iggy was just making sure Emelin had to answer and make sure he and other teams know there may be a price to make a hit like that. If Emelin hadn't dropped Iggy, then there would be no reason for a fight. It would have been some words and a scuffle.

Emelin can't fight. He has steel plates in his cheeks. He can't take a punch at all, so he has to duck everything.

This doesn't really matter to me. Like all players, Emelin should have to answer for his actions. Fighting back then ducking behind Price is nonsense to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00