Pre-Game Talk: Week of Whatever (CAR, NJ, OTT)

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Well, you want the Kroenke's to "feel it where it hurts."

The Kroenke's don't give a **** about the people of a city who cheer for a specific sports team. They simply look to establish a profitable business model. Winning and franchise success does not drive the Kroenke's.

So they'd relocate and do the exact same thing to the new fans that they did here? That doesn't sound like a profitable business model.

Trust me, I know they don't give two ***** about us...but if they aren't making any money, maybe they should look into getting into the playoffs every few years...

Either sell the team or figure out different recipe. Relocating, IMO, is not the answer and likely would end up costing them way more.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don't think relocating is a possibility at all considering Stan and especially Josh's connection to Denver. The only way I see the Avalanche ever relocating is if the team is sold.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
It would make no sense for them to relocate the Avs when they play out of the same arena as the Nuggets whom they also own.

The Kroenke's are clearly indifferent about the success or failure of the team in the context of fandom, but they do care about money, and playoff revenue is big money. If season tickets are getting cancelled left and right, game packs aren't selling, and the team is consistently missing the playoffs, they will notice the money is not there and while I don't ever see them having a heavy hand in organizational structure, I can see them stepping in to clean house, put a new structure in, then letting that fail or flounder for a while.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
It would make no sense for them to relocate the Avs when they play out of the same arena as the Nuggets whom they also own.

The Kroenke's are clearly indifferent about the success or failure of the team in the context of fandom, but they do care about money, and playoff revenue is big money. If season tickets are getting cancelled left and right, game packs aren't selling, and the team is consistently missing the playoffs, they will notice the money is not there and while I don't ever see them having a heavy hand in organizational structure, I can see them stepping in to clean house, put a new structure in, then letting that fail or flounder for a while.

Hence my comment about hitting them where it hurts.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

They only seem to go half way in doing this though. Change the GM, Change the Coach, Change a few scouts, and all of it is done at different times. Hell the current manager can't even bring himself to make sweeping changes to the roster for fear of being a meanie and upsetting some veteran players.

By the time they get around to making changes to different aspects, the rest of the organization has infected whatever has been changed previously, and it goes bad right along with everything else.

One of the biggest problems is that they've never actually "Cleaned house."

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I wonder if Mitchell's pathetic season means the end of him as a NHLer. Can't see many teams being interested in him now.

One of the worst players on the worst performing team in almost 20 years.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
I wonder if Mitchell's pathetic season means the end of him as a NHLer. Can't see many teams being interested in him now.

I could see the Leafs or Rangers take a flyer on him again at a really cheap number. Outside chance at another team. It will be interesting to see what players get a pass because they were on a bad team and what players get blamed for making the team bad.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

He has nobody to blame but himself, either. He doesn't deserve another NHL contract and a GM out there would be stupid to give him one.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Mitchell was probably the first of the vets to call it a season. He was out as soon as they waived him. I doubt he gets a contract over the summer but maybe some team will give him a PTO.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Mitchell was probably the first of the vets to call it a season. He was out as soon as they waived him. I doubt he gets a contract over the summer but maybe some team will give him a PTO.

You could tell he checked out the very first game he played after being waived. Instead of receiving the message, he took it personally, took his ball and went home. Only I wish he truly went home because he's awful.

A PTO is probably his only shot at staying in the league. Hey, if Rene can do it, maybe Mitchell can too.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I think it's embarrassing that the Avs didn't even ask TMV why he was cancelling. Absurd. Any provider would at least ask that for data purposes, but our organization has truly given up. From ownership to management to people manning the damn phones. Top to bottom, biggest joke in the sport.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I've just discovered the only player on the team with a positive plus minus is Sam Henley

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Cancelled my season tickets yesterday and the ticket department didn't even put up a fight and try to sell me in staying. They've given up, just like the team on the ice.

Was probably Sakic on the other end of the phone too.....

"TMV has been a loyal season ticket holder. He has earned the right to go decline any game he wishes. We didn't try and keep him. Out of respect. I already told Josh that next season is a write off season as well. So don't worry about the season tickets. We will make a push to get them back when we are competitive."

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
That's too bad if only to the extent that you didn't get to explain a reason. That's probably the only time anyone from the org has an opportunity to hear from fans, even a lower level ticket agent.

That's probably exactly why they've stopped asking for the reason why. Yelling at a low level person who answers the phone will accomplish nothing but making that person's day ******. Trust me, nobody important will actually hear anything that gets said to them.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Bednar had some good things to say about Rantanen in his presser today. Worth the listen.

I want Compher to continue gaining experience at center because it's for the best in the long run but I'd also love to see him get some shifts with MacKinnon and Landeskog. He could be a good fit there because of his work ethic and skill. Bourque screws up scoring opportunities every game.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Bednar had some good things to say about Rantanen in his presser today. Worth the listen.

I want Compher to continue gaining experience at center because it's for the best in the long run but I'd also love to see him get some shifts with MacKinnon and Landeskog. He could be a good fit there because of his work ethic and skill. Bourque screws up scoring opportunities every game.

I think I'd rather see Compher become a winger. His game seems to fit more as a speedy, hard-working winger. He looks like a poor man's Parise, honestly.

It's a little early to pencil him in to the 3C role, but I think if given the choice I'd have Compher permanently convert to RW and allow Beaudin every opportunity to develop himself into a two-way 3C. It's a ways away, though, from ever even materializing.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I think I'd rather see Compher become a winger. His game seems to fit more as a speedy, hard-working winger. He looks like a poor man's Parise, honestly.

It's a little early to pencil him in to the 3C role, but I think if given the choice I'd have Compher permanently convert to RW and allow Beaudin every opportunity to develop himself into a two-way 3C. It's a ways away, though, from ever even materializing.

If he can play center in the NHL hes likely to succeed at wing too, at least that is the case more often than not. If they have the ability to play him at center they should IMO.

But I'm one who would also use this time to give Mikko some games at center as well. It would be nice to know if he had the ability to fill that role.

This is a time when you should be throwing everything at the wall, but alas Greer is still in the AHL and so is Bigras.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
I found this on reddit, so I haven't verified all the details, but I thought it was pretty funny.

Colorado still has a slim chance of making the playoffs, but will most likely be eliminated quickly. In order for them to make the playoffs, there needs to be some very precise* circumstances that play out for them, most of which will...not happen.

Starting with the first one: Colorado needs to claim 33 or their available 34 points. That means they would need to win 16 games over the course of the next 17, and only lose 1 game MAX, and in OT or Shoutout. Now for the rundown:

Colorado needs to beat St. Louis in their 3 remaining games. Losing in any fashion to St. Louis would give the Blues too many points on Colorado to pass them.

If Colorado wins all 17 games, they can come in any fashion. However, if Colorado drops a point to OT or SO, then 14 of their wins need to come in Regulation or Overtime.

Vancouver needs to beat St. Louis and LA. Vancouver also needs to collect no more than 5 points otherwise.

Winnipeg needs to beat LA and St. Louis. Winnipeg also needs to collect no more than 3 points otherwise.

LA needs to beat St. Louis. LA also needs to collect no more than 3 points otherwise.

Arizona needs to beat St. Louis in their 3 remaining match-ups. Arizona also needs to collect no more than 14 points otherwise.

Dallas has no game-implications that would affect Colorado making the playoffs. However, Dallas does need to collect no more than 9 points over the remainder of their season.

St. Louis can only collect 2 more points in any fashion, EXCEPT for a win over Colorado.

The Vancouver/Winnipeg game has no implications on Colorado making the playoffs.

Given these scenarios:

Colorado will make the playoffs with 73 points St. Louis will miss the playoffs with 71 points LA will miss the playoffs with 70 points Winnipeg will miss the playoffs with 72, 71, or 70 points Vancouver will miss the playoffs with 70, 69, or 68 points.

Colorado can still lose 2 points, given they win no more than 3 games in Shootout.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
C6vK2M2VoAAgQD_.jpg

Beauch looks like he'd do okay as a waiter, maybe he should consider a career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad