Pre-Game Talk: Week of Whatever (CAR, NJ, OTT)

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm not going to let these players off the hook and just blame management. Being a bad team that isn't competing for a playoff spot can be attributed to management but the players took it to another level by quitting. They only have themselves to blame for what's happening right now night after night. It's not too surprising though, the HC and the players also quit for the last 10 or so games last season as well.

Yeah, the fact that there's a history of quitting there suggests this thing needs to be torn down from top to bottom. I'd keep Zadorov, Rantanen, Jost, Bigras, Compher, Greer, and 2017 1st safe (not publicly state it, though). Everyone else can be had for the right price. If they've quit multiple times now, we can be sure they're going to quit again at some point in the future.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not gonna stop watching them. I just needed a mental break from this **** show. Compher and Rant will keep me watching for now. I'd like to say Mack as well but unfortunately the way he has been playing this year concerns me a bit. That's why I want kids to come up and add some fire in this group. Greer fighting Gelinas actually is refreshing. It shows he is disgusted with some of the guys' play.

I couldn't care less about MacKinnon right now. He's been pathetic all season.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Yeah, the fact that there's a history of quitting there suggests this thing needs to be torn down from top to bottom. I'd keep Zadorov, Rantanen, Jost, Bigras, Compher, Greer, and 2017 1st safe (not publicly state it, though). Everyone else can be had for the right price. If they've quit multiple times now, we can be sure they're going to quit again at some point in the future.

I couldn't care less about MacKinnon right now. He's been pathetic all season.

I don't agree with this. It's easy to forget now with how the season has gone but he had stretches of very strong play. People were posting his and Rantanen's numbers after a lot of games and talking about them being two of the few bright spots, who were outplaying the competition. I think his game fell off when the whole team went to ****.

MacKinnon is still #1 on my list of players to keep. You know what's crazy? He's actually younger than three of the players/prospects you list there.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Wait, what?!
Gelinas' attitude with the Avs sucked. He was not happy with the way he was treated here and maybe he should be but the right to respond to that is by your play on ice and not complain off the ice. Was he wrongly used by the coaches? Maybe he could have been used more on the PP where he is useful but he still need to perform 5v5 and he sucked at that. If he attitude was bad off the ice with the big club do you really thing it was better in the AHL. I really doubt that. Combined this with Rampage not winning a single game since he has been sent down and him not playing well at that level as well and it can certainly rub some of the guys the wrong way especially with the frustration running within the team right now. He should be killing it down there and be a leader. He is doing none of these things.

Nothing wrong with fighting a teammate if the guy is not pulling his weight while "being a cancer". Now I know you guys will say I'm not there in the dressing room and you are right but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out. I might be out of line here but I'm frustrated as well. I want players that care and show some heart on this team.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Gelinas' attitude with the Avs sucked. He was not happy with the way he was treated here and maybe he should be but the right to respond to that is by your play on ice and not complain off the ice. Was he wrongly used by the coaches? Maybe he could have been used more on the PP where he is useful but he still need to perform 5v5 and he sucked at that. If he attitude was bad off the ice with the big club do you really thing it was better in the AHL. I really doubt that. Combined this with Rampage not winning a single game since he has been sent down and him not playing well at that level as well and it can certainly rub some of the guys the wrong way especially with the frustration running within the team right now. He should be killing it down there and be a leader. He is doing none of these things.

Nothing wrong with fighting a teammate if the guy is not pulling his weight while "being a cancer". Now I know you guys will say I'm not there in the dressing room and you are right but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out. I might be out of line here but I'm frustrated as well. I want players that care and show some heart on this team.

Oh, I agree. I just hadn't heard of the fight between he and Greer until I read the Avs affiliates page. Kick his ass, Seabass!

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Can't wait until we start getting fighting at Avalanche practices. Whoever is left alive gets a move to whichever team they want.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I don't agree with this. It's easy to forget now with how the season has gone but he had stretches of very strong play. People were posting his and Rantanen's numbers after a lot of games and talking about them being two of the few bright spots, who were outplaying the competition. I think his game fell off when the whole team went to ****.

MacKinnon is still #1 on my list of players to keep. You know what's crazy? He's actually younger than three of the players/prospects you list there.

Rintintin's been outplaying Mac for the last 10 games at least and I don't just mean in terms of goals. He's forechecking a lot more consistently, using his speed more, and doing more with the puck though I haven't bothered to check our advanced stats since January so it's just what I've noticed from the eye test. Landy's been outplaying Mac for the past 5 or so games as well.

Mac's problem is that he plays like a complimentary player. When the going gets good he'll perform and score but on his own, he does **** all to make stuff happen when things are rough and he becomes ineffective. That's definitely not franchise player material to me. I'm not even sure he'll reach Duchene's level whenever Duchene was playing his best and was dangerous almost every shift.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I might be an idiot but I can't find a link that mentions the fight. Can someone help a brother out?

There was just a tweet about it, there's not much else to know. All they also said was no real punches thrown so that's good. I wish to have more of an idea how it got started. Maybe Greer was going hard and Gelinas didn't like that, I could see that too. Btw, I've really liked how Greer has been playing since the deadline. Wouldn't blame him if he was mopey but thought he's played some of his best games since, forechecking hard and making plays. He scored a rare PP goal yesterday too.

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm not going to let these players off the hook and just blame management. Being a bad team that isn't competing for a playoff spot can be attributed to management but the players took it to another level by quitting. They only have themselves to blame for what's happening right now night after night. It's not too surprising though, the HC and the players also quit for the last 10 or so games last season as well.

I don't disagree about that too, they are responsible for their actions. That's why the more of this historic rot that goes the better. Even if some guys aren't outright terrible like Wier, just bring as few of them back.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Accurate image of me when I opened up the thread and saw Bubbas avatar pic.

giphy.gif

With the way the Avs have been playing and the decreasing care level of everyone on the team, it seems like such a huge mountain to climb to even get to 20 wins this season.

That's Kimberly and she's an awesome, beautiful person.

DanishAvsfan

Aug 27, 2007
They are publicly humiliated and are ripped of any shred of remaining dignity on a nightly basis. At some point human existence isn't about money. Their reputations and careers will be forever scarred by this. T

This. So much this. One of the biggest mistakes of modern economic thinking is that people are only motivated by money or more precisely profit. The human mind is so much more complex. They are being dragged through the mud. They are humiliated for the thing they have spent their entire lives fighting for. And everybody is watching. Sure you can say suck it up, but they are done. Everybody has a breaking point.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

It's not the production that worries me with MacKinnon. Yeah, it could be better but nobody on this team is producing at what they should be.

Where I'm angry with MacKinnon is his attitude, the way earlier in the year he was yelling at teammates during games. I'm angry at the solo missions he goes on continuously. I'm angry at the constant stupid mistakes he makes with the puck, whether that's skating into traffic willingly or trying to force a pass when it's not there. I'm angry at the fact that one of the fastest players in the league has become one of the easiest to shut down.

He's now in his 4th season and he's still making rookie-level mistakes. Yes, he's still very young and I by no means want to trade him, but he's had a pathetic season. As has everyone, but naturally the expectations for MacKinnon are higher.

avspatti

Dec 1, 2003
Colorado
Visit site
This. So much this. One of the biggest mistakes of modern economic thinking is that people are only motivated by money or more precisely profit. The human mind is so much more complex. They are being dragged through the mud. They are humiliated for the thing they have spent their entire lives fighting for. And everybody is watching. Sure you can say suck it up, but they are done. Everybody has a breaking point.
I completely agree with you. Money is not everything. The reputation and psychology of the
Avs players are being trashed on a nightly basis. Bound to leave lasting effects. Very sad to see.

DanglesFromDuchene

Sep 8, 2013
There was just a tweet about it, there's not much else to know. All they also said was no real punches thrown so that's good. I wish to have more of an idea how it got started. Maybe Greer was going hard and Gelinas didn't like that, I could see that too. Btw, I've really liked how Greer has been playing since the deadline. Wouldn't blame him if he was mopey but thought he's played some of his best games since, forechecking hard and making plays. He scored a rare PP goal yesterday too.

It's great to hear that he's playing well. But you would excuse him if he was mopey? If a 20 year old prospect is mopey about not being called up in his first pro season, no matter how well he is playing or how bad the NHL team is, I wouldn't want them. I feel like that's the exact attitude/personality that this team needs to get rid of. And I'm glad Greer doesn't have that.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
It's great to hear that he's playing well. But you would excuse him if he was mopey? If a 20 year old prospect is mopey about not being called up in his first pro season, no matter how well he is playing or how bad the NHL team is, I wouldn't want them. I feel like that's the exact attitude/personality that this team needs to get rid of. And I'm glad Greer doesn't have that.

Agreed wholeheartedly.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Cancelled my season tickets yesterday and the ticket department didn't even put up a fight and try to sell me in staying. They've given up, just like the team on the ice.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
Cancelled my season tickets yesterday and the ticket department didn't even put up a fight and try to sell me in staying. They've given up, just like the team on the ice.

I would say that next season can't possibly be worse than this season but they have continued to exceed my expectations there the past couple of years.

If I lived nearby and Varly, Z and EJ were healthy and Greer, Compher, Bigras, "Patrick" and possibly Jost were in the lineup next year then I would get season tickets to watch that. That is probably unlikely other than a few pieces though.

Grackle Party

Full of guts!!
Jun 11, 2007
Cream City

There is a clear culture of not giving a **** and this just proves it starts at the very top. What a joke this franchise has become.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine

Seriously, good though. I want the Kroenke's to feel it where it hurts. They clearly don't care about the product as long as their bottom line is alright.

My boss is actually the Kroenke's broker here in town and I wish their was a way I could voice my displeasure. :laugh:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

That's too bad if only to the extent that you didn't get to explain a reason. That's probably the only time anyone from the org has an opportunity to hear from fans, even a lower level ticket agent.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Seriously, good though. I want the Kroenke's to feel it where it hurts. They clearly don't care about the product as long as their bottom line is alright.

My boss is actually the Kroenke's broker here in town and I wish their was a way I could voice my displeasure. :laugh:

They aren't afraid to move a team if they have to (doubt they will, though).

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
They aren't afraid to move a team if they have to (doubt they will, though).

Why would they move it though? If the team started to perform poorly financially, it wouldn't be because of a lack of market, it would be because they flushed that **** down the drain to the point where they've pissed all their fans away.

I would be livid if this franchise ever moved...no, I'd be irate.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Why would they move it though? If the team started to perform poorly financially, it wouldn't be because of a lack of market, it would be because they flushed that **** down the drain to the point where they've pissed all their fans away.

I would be livid if this franchise ever moved...no, I'd be irate.

Well, you want the Kroenke's to "feel it where it hurts."

The Kroenke's don't give a **** about the people of a city who cheer for a specific sports team. They simply look to establish a profitable business model. Winning and franchise success does not drive the Kroenke's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad