Pre-Game Talk: Week of travel (@NSH, @BOS, @MTL, @TOR)

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I was about to say "poor Duchene, he's with Mitchell again, then I realized MacKinnon gets Comeau and Bourque, who has sadly been the best goal scorer on the club. And then I saw that our top pairing is Zadorov and Barrie, and Zadorov is now the best defensive defensman on the club.

:cry:

What else can the coach do when his roster has zero depth both upfront and on defense? It's not Bednar's fault, thank Sakic for that

Avs44

May 16, 2011
What else can the coach do when his roster has zero depth both upfront and on defense? It's not Bednar's fault, thank Sakic for that

I wasn't blaming anyone in my post...? I was just observing what they've got...

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
If anyone is following OHL and WHL, how different are both leagues are? Is OHL much better, tougher league?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
If anyone is following OHL and WHL, how different are both leagues are? Is OHL much better, tougher league?

Well IMO... OHL probably has the most skill top to bottom, their bottom 6 will have more skill than the other leagues do. Its the softest and least physical league of the three. It's more insular, more of a planet Toronto type feel. There's less parity in the league too, more haves and have nots. Less travel, they don't experience the road trips the other two leagues do. It's the most pampered and gets the most attention.

WHL is the more rugged defensive league. The most physical, most fights and hitting but more NHL style structure and systems. It's why they seem to turn out more defensive players and defensemen.

You didn't ask but Q is the most offensive league (though it's not the beer league offense that some people liken it to, OHL scoring is just a shade behind). It's a more passionate, intense game, which can lead to some huge hits and physical play. Lots of small, speedy skilled players. Turning out more defensemen than the OHL now (look at the WJC team, it's mostly Q defensemen).

I personally don't think there's a "better" league where you'd prefer a player to come from or that makes their stats look better. It's all about the type of team they are on, the role they play that gives it context. The OHL is my least favorite of the three and the top heavy nature of that league can skew stats. Q is probably my favorite, I like the players and the game best in that league but I appreciate the structure of the WHL, there's a lot of good teams in that league. Q goaltending gets crap because they have some weak ones but their top goalies are some of the best, same with the W. OHL goalies are more average to meh.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It's the first week of December and I just heard Duchene talking about needing a big four game road trip here in order to stay in it. I think many of us thought this could be a development/rebuilding type of season so personally I don't mind if they miss the playoffs again but it still makes me sad that we've already reached that point.

At least we once again have someone to help distract us from the Avs. I can't watch most of our prospects but I still follow them and Jost should be fun to watch at the WJC at the end of the month.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Well IMO... OHL probably has the most skill top to bottom, their bottom 6 will have more skill than the other leagues do. Its the softest and least physical league of the three. It's more insular, more of a planet Toronto type feel. There's less parity in the league too, more haves and have nots. Less travel, they don't experience the road trips the other two leagues do. It's the most pampered and gets the most attention.

WHL is the more rugged defensive league. The most physical, most fights and hitting but more NHL style structure and systems. It's why they seem to turn out more defensive players and defensemen.

You didn't ask but Q is the most offensive league (though it's not the beer league offense that some people liken it to, OHL scoring is just a shade behind). It's a more passionate, intense game, which can lead to some huge hits and physical play. Lots of small, speedy skilled players. Turning out more defensemen than the OHL now (look at the WJC team, it's mostly Q defensemen).

I personally don't think there's a "better" league where you'd prefer a player to come from or that makes their stats look better. It's all about the type of team they are on, the role they play that gives it context. The OHL is my least favorite of the three and the top heavy nature of that league can skew stats. Q is probably my favorite, I like the players and the game best in that league but I appreciate the structure of the WHL, there's a lot of good teams in that league. Q goaltending gets crap because they have some weak ones but their top goalies are some of the best, same with the W. OHL goalies are more average to meh.

Great inside, thanks!

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
As for Landeskog, he was one of a handful players that missed the training session due to an illness. Tyson Barrie, Matt Duchene and Nathan MacKinnon were also sick, and all of four of them stayed at the hotel Wednesday to get some extra rest.

The Colorado captain was previously pegged to take a full practice at TD Garden and would have likely played Thursday against the Bruins after being out of the lineup for the past nine games. His return now might be Saturday night at the Montreal Canadiens, but Bednar isn't going to rule Landeskog out yet versus Boston.

"I don't know what that does for Landeskog," Bednar said. "I'm assuming now after feeling sick and not getting that contact practice in today that he'll be another game, and we'll have to feel that situation out tomorrow morning."

https://www.nhl.com/avalanche/news/injury-update-at-avs-practice-in-boston/c-284474656

I guess the good news is that it sounds like Landeskog is very close.

Article says Tyutin should play tomorrow. Unfortunately, Beauchemin likely will as well. Pickard gets the start.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
https://www.nhl.com/avalanche/news/injury-update-at-avs-practice-in-boston/c-284474656

I guess the good news is that it sounds like Landeskog is very close.

Article says Tyutin should play tomorrow. Unfortunately, Beauchemin likely will as well. Pickard gets the start.

Jesus now they are also all sick?

What a mess of a season this has been so far....

But a part of me (probably the masochist in me) wants to see how this team would look without Duchene, Mac, Landeskog, Barrie, EJ and Varlamov.

I guess it would be the Rantanen show with Rantanen-Soderberg-Bourque leading us to a well deserved win with Iggy scoring two Powerplay goals...

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Jesus now they are also all sick?

What a mess of a season this has been so far....

But a part of me (probably the masochist in me) wants to see how this team would look without Duchene, Mac, Landeskog, Barrie, EJ and Varlamov.

I guess it would be the Rantanen show with Rantanen-Soderberg-Bourque leading us to a well deserved win with Iggy scoring two Powerplay goals...

Wait...

Are you talking about Iginla scoring 2 Power Play goals in one game, or this season?

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Bednar can't yank Pickard every time he follows up a win with a loss. Give the kid a chance to be the guy.

Not saying it's completely his fault, but Varlamov is 5-12, 3.08 GAA. He's give up 5 goals 5 times already this season; last year, he only allowed 5+ goals a total of 4 times.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Also Varly is probably mentally weaker than Pickard. Guy always ***** the bed when he gets 3 starts in a row on the third one.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
And picks ***** the bed when he gets two starts in a row.

Right but the sample size is smaller there so it's pretty tough for us to make a judgement from his, from Varly's we can. It is pointless to argue about the goalies right now, they aren't helping usually but they aren't costing us games or at least aren't the primary reason.

My own interest in it is that I want them both to get split starts pretty equally so we have an idea of who we're protecting. If Pickard ends up looking worse than Varly by a decent margin then no harm but if we lose Pickard to expansion without testing him here and he's good on Vegas then that's gonna sting. Hope one of them is traded for some much needed future assets but have to play both to figure out who.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Someone is doing my posting for me.

Surprised actually, as I thought you'd see the merits of giving Picks a bit more leeway, at least more than hes gotten considering we absolutely need to know which one of these guys is the right choice moving forward.

I think we know how Varly is playing lately, and it's a damn roll of the dice every day.

For the record, I'm equally frustrated Picks has screwed up multiple opportunities to run with it.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Surprised actually, as I thought you'd see the merits of giving Picks a bit more leeway, at least more than hes gotten considering we absolutely need to know which one of these guys is the right choice moving forward.

I think we know how Varly is playing lately, and it's a damn roll of the dice every day.

For the record, I'm equally frustrated Picks has screwed up multiple opportunities to run with it.

I'd be giving Pickard more leeway if he didn't blow his two shots so far. He'll obviously get more opportunities though. At the very least Pickard has shown that given a decent break between his games he'll come out and do very well. It's the consecutive games thing that seems to kill him so far. In my mind no matter who we choose between Picks/Varly we have Martin as a viable back-up plan so I'm not too concerned.

I just dislike painting Pickard as the savior when he's barely providing better goaltending than Varly over the course of the season so far. I don't think it's fair to Pickard to put those expectations on him or to have those expectations in general. I need to see Pickard take the reigns and run with them. Still hurts thinking about that Arizona game. Pickard all but had the starting job locked up. If Pickard can get the starting job I won't expect much.

One thing to keep in mind is that Pickard has had the easier games going by Strength of Schedule. To say the coaching staff hasn't been giving Pickard chances is false. Twice he's been given consecutive games and he's getting the easier games compared to Varly. If you're going to hold the goalies accountable then Varly deserved the games after Pickard posted a statistical "Really Bad Start". We'll see more starts from Pickard though, I mean how likely is it that he never gets past that 2nd game hump?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'd be giving Pickard more leeway if he didn't blow his two shots so far. He'll obviously get more opportunities though. At the very least Pickard has shown that given a decent break between his games he'll come out and do very well. It's the consecutive games thing that seems to kill him so far. In my mind no matter who we choose between Picks/Varly we have Martin as a viable back-up plan so I'm not too concerned.

I just dislike painting Pickard as the savior when he's barely providing better goaltending than Varly over the course of the season so far. I don't think it's fair to Pickard to put those expectations on him or to have those expectations in general. I need to see Pickard take the reigns and run with them. Still hurts thinking about that Arizona game. Pickard all but had the starting job locked up. If Pickard can get the starting job I won't expect much.

One thing to keep in mind is that Pickard has had the easier games going by Strength of Schedule. To say the coaching staff hasn't been giving Pickard chances is false. Twice he's been given consecutive games and he's getting the easier games compared to Varly. If you're going to hold the goalies accountable then Varly deserved the games after Pickard posted a statistical "Really Bad Start". We'll see more starts from Pickard though, I mean how likely is it that he never gets past that 2nd game hump?

All valid, but I just want to know for sure by the end of the season. Or as reasonably sure as possible. So I think they need to give him a solid stretch of games with a mix of difficulty, but I guess we're still trying to win lol.

I agree with what you are saying about people acting like Pickard is the savior though, that gets a bit blown up since hes blown a tire every time hes been given the wheel.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I think people just prefer Picks over Varly because the salary, potential upside etc. We have seen what Varly can do, but even I'm starting to think his best days might be behind. Picks is improving though. No brainer for me. Varly is probably better goaltender now but I think it's worth the risk to trade him and plug other holes in our roster with saved money.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I think people just prefer Picks over Varly because the salary, potential upside etc. We have seen what Varly can do, but even I'm starting to think his best days might be behind. Picks is improving though. No brainer for me. Varly is probably better goaltender now but I think it's worth the risk to trade him and plug other holes in our roster with saved money.

What's the upside though? Slightly better then he is now? I'm not seeing anything higher then average starting potential in Pickard. We're not going to get a 2013/14 season from Pickard like we got from Varly if that's the expectation.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
What's the upside though? Slightly better then he is now? I'm not seeing anything higher then average starting potential in Pickard. We're not going to get a 2013/14 season from Pickard like we got from Varly if that's the expectation.

Quite a bit less salary we could use elsewhere?

Edit: Sorry didn't read Colorado Avalanche's post for some reason. Not piling on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad