Pre-Game Talk: Week of travel (@NSH, @BOS, @MTL, @TOR)

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
If Landy isn't going to be back, I would have liked to see Grimaldi stick around. He has good speed and tries hard every shift. Certainly better than the McLeods and Colbornes of the team.

Not surprised by the callup at all but Dunc just cannot get his shot at the NHL level. Bigras is injured and they call up a guy that leapfrogs him (granted older and more experience with this coach and all that).

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
My selfish preference is Greer but even Bourque was fine, not exactly sure why they got rid of him. Grimaldi just didn't work out. I highly doubt Landy is going to play, maybe the weekend if he progresses quickly but I'm not sure why we should have injury optimism right now. Goloubef is probably here to stay permanently so I get why they called him. If they need one more there isn't anyone else besides Siemens to choose.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Don't know if this has been posted yet, but Eliteprospect saying that Goloubef has indeed been recalled.

E: Sorry, did not see your post above Tigre.

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Lines according to BSN..

Mitchell Duchene Rantanen
Bourque Mackinnon Comeau
Grigorenko Soderberg Iginla
McLeod Colborne Martinsen
Landeskog

Zadorov Barrie
Beauchemin Goloubef
Gelinas Weirdo

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I was about to say "poor Duchene, he's with Mitchell again, then I realized MacKinnon gets Comeau and Bourque, who has sadly been the best goal scorer on the club. And then I saw that our top pairing is Zadorov and Barrie, and Zadorov is now the best defensive defensman on the club.

:cry:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Oh great...here we go again with the "Johnny Malkin in the top six" nonsense.

Every once and a while he'll put up a couple of good games in that role, but you don't want him there more than a couple. The boost in motivation only lasts so long for him. The fear is that if he works there, Bednar will keep him there too long, but not with the Bednar blender lol.

Interesting to see Mikko at RW with Duchy though, as I thought if Mikko was a RW for us he'd end up with Duchene.

Wonder how long before we see Mikko at C, with MacK on his RW lmao

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Bednar just doesn't want Malkin to go all year without a point.

Seriously how does Mitchell not have a point. Clearly a much better player but he's reaching Cliche level of production.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Every once and a while he'll put up a couple of good games in that role, but you don't want him there more than a couple. The boost in motivation only lasts so long for him. The fear is that if he works there, Bednar will keep him there too long, but not with the Bednar blender lol.

Interesting to see Mikko at RW with Duchy though, as I thought if Mikko was a RW for us he'd end up with Duchene.

Wonder how long before we see Mikko at C, with MacK on his RW lmao

I can't help but think Bednar is also so untrusting of Sortaberg at this point that he'd rather put Mitchell there, even though from a talent perspective, Sortaberg should be there. Just goes to show ya how limited his options are at this point.

Seriously how does Mitchell not have a point. Clearly a much better player but he's reaching Cliche level of production.

People on Twitter have noticed he looks markedly slower out there, I haven't really seen it with my own two eyes though. He's also being pegged as the "checking line" guy since Sortaberg is failing miserably in that role, which means he's seeing stiffer competition.

It's funny, I thought a better comparable for Mitchell this season was Jeff Shantz. Maybe that's a bit too harsh though.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

The way hes gotten his points in the past were from other players dishing him the puck from the boards. Now he is on a line with two players who don't really give up the puck for anything. Comeau is better about it when he is clearly the worst player on his line, but as he drops down the depth chart he gets more selfish. Iginla is a dead puck on skates.

Yeah they can cycle, but none of those guys are feeding scoring chances, and if they do they're both setting up Iginla. Iginla can't hit the broad side of a barn lately either, and that's if he can even pull off successfully receiving a pass.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I was about to say "poor Duchene, he's with Mitchell again, then I realized MacKinnon gets Comeau and Bourque, who has sadly been the best goal scorer on the club. And then I saw that our top pairing is Zadorov and Barrie, and Zadorov is now the best defensive defensman on the club.

:cry:

Haha it's great and zero extras too

Mitchell and Iggy have our best CF% too. :laugh:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I for one am actually looking forward to seeing what Zadorov does here. Last time EJ was out he came up and played tough minutes with FB, and it was the best five game stretch this team has had in a long time.

Maybe some extra pressure, and freedom will help get him a bit more engaged. Although I don't think Barrie lasts long there, but who knows.

Also looking forward to Goloebuf after hearing what Bednar said about him on the radio.

Edit : https://soundcloud.com/altitudespor...ch-jared-bednar-joins-the-vic-lombardi-show-4

That is the link for the radio show 5 days ago, comments about Goloubef are at the tail end of it.

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I for one am actually looking forward to seeing what Zadorov does here. Last time EJ was out he came up and played tough minutes with FB, and it was the best five game stretch this team has had in a long time.

Maybe some extra pressure, and freedom will help get him a bit more engaged. Although I don't think Barrie lasts long there, but who knows.

Also looking forward to Goloebuf after hearing what Bednar said about him on the radio.

Bednar should let Zadorov do his thing on defense right now. EJ down, Barrie playing bad and the team is in last place. Let the monster play his game, his way (torture him for dumb penalties but let him take risks).

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Bednar should let Zadorov do his thing on defense right now. EJ down, Barrie playing bad and the team is in last place. Let the monster play his game, his way (torture him for dumb penalties but let him take risks).

Exactly, but that probably won't happen fully with Barrie on his right side lol.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I just can't get excited to watch more AHL/fringe NHL defensemen play with the big club anymore. I think all my good fandom has been spent.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I don't like the constant line blending either but this team hasnt responded to anything. Bednar really has to other choice but to try to get someone going somehow. It's all he can do at this point short of scratching the core guys for AHL players and bag skates

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad