Pre-Game Talk: Week of the Turkey Sandwich (@WPG, OTT, WPG)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs44

May 16, 2011

Carry the team on your back like you did two years ago and hope your groin doesn't fall apart. No pressure or anything.

Yes, we need Varly, but how about fixing the rest of the damn team, Roy, so you don't need your goalie to singlehandedly carry the damn team?

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Yes, we need Varly, but how about fixing the rest of the damn team, Roy, so you don't need your goalie to singlehandedly carry the damn team?

I understand this p.o.v but he needs to play better than what he's shown, bottom line. You could put the Rangers or Preds D in front of him and he would still struggle to track the puck the way he's going

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
All that talent we have on this roster, no way we can lose!

Not that we can't lose, but what I believe most posters (myself included) don't believe we're 29th place in the league bad. Nor do I think you can even believe that even though I know you realize this team isn't as talented as some believe.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I think people these days still want to associate last place with terrible no talent teams that lose every game 7-1
When last place teams in this NHL lose they lose 3-1, 4-3, 5-3 , win a couple , then go back to losing 4-2, 1-0, 3-2.
Last place teams dont play nearly as bad as they used to. Even the Sabres last year were terrible but it had more to do with lack of offense than anything. It wasnt like they were getting blown away.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I think people these days still want to associate last place with terrible no talent teams that lose every game 7-1
When last place teams in this NHL lose they lose 3-1, 4-3, 5-3 , win a couple , then go back to losing 4-2, 1-0, 3-2.
Last place teams dont play nearly as bad as they used to. Even the Sabres last year were terrible but it had more to do with lack of offense than anything. It wasnt like they were getting blown away.

This is true and before the Washington game remember when our goal differential was -1. A team should not be last in the league with that kind of goal differential. I'm not going to say its just bad luck, its more finding ways to lose and that margin for winning and losing in this era is just so thin. There is so much parity that there are few truly awful and dominant teams. I think as the season goes on we won't be hugging the bottom 3/4 and a few tankers will emerge. Even this time last year Buffalo was actually on a decent roll. I think they were even out of the bottom 5.

No this isn't a 29th place roster and like I said we haven't finished 29th either, there's a lot of hockey left. But when we compare ourselves to the rest of the league there are other teams that shouldn't be in the spot they are in, namely Anaheim and Calgary. Those are teams even better on paper and with better coaching. Does Edmonton have a 30th in the league roster?

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
This is true and before the Washington game remember when our goal differential was -1. A team should not be last in the league with that kind of goal differential. I'm not going to say its just bad luck, its more finding ways to lose and that margin for winning and losing in this era is just so thin. There is so much parity that there are few truly awful and dominant teams. I think as the season goes on we won't be hugging the bottom 3/4 and a few tankers will emerge. Even this time last year Buffalo was actually on a decent roll. I think they were even out of the bottom 5.

No this isn't a 29th place roster and like I said we haven't finished 29th either, there's a lot of hockey left. But when we compare ourselves to the rest of the league there are other teams that shouldn't be in the spot they are in, namely Anaheim and Calgary. Those are teams even better on paper and with better coaching. Does Edmonton have a 30th in the league roster?

Which I guess is deceptively more hurtful because you watch the games and the teams are closely matched save for a crucial play made (typically by game breaking talent) that ends up winning the game for them. And you leave going oh things arent that bad..they played well, didnt get the bounces....oh snap we are LAST! how did that happen?

At least if this was 1996 and you were say OTT you knew where you stood, you could even laugh at ithe utter ridiculousness of it all.
For some fanbases watching now, its like Fools Gold in hockey form.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

buffalo was tied for dead last this time last year (with columbus and edmonton).

i don't think calgary has better roster at least not much. well with the injuries avs have had they probably have the edge now. avs had earlier this season when flames had brodie out with an injury.

ducks absolutely do. i don't think there's anything that can save them other than firing BB. not that he's a bad coach but they aren't responding anymore. at least avs play with good effort game in and game out.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Ottawa coming in on a back-to-back.

Should take advantage of that.
Especially as they place the Stars the day before.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
Ottawa right down there with us at the bottom of the 5v5 CF% stats and their defense has been pretty haggard this season. Combined with coming in on a B2B and this is the kind of game we should definitely win.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
Except teams always lay a giant egg first game back of a long road trip.

I'm hoping with a stronger road trip that most expected and with a couple of guys really playing strong they can keep some momentum going. Definitely can't be dropping home games like this where everything is lining up in your favor.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
MacKinnon doing so well.
Duchene turning it around.
Zadorov once he gets to come back.
Girgorenko showing what he is capable of.
Rantanen developing nicely.
Gormley being a free upgrade.
Beauchemin being our best overall D.
Johnson looking good with a real partner.
Soderberg settling into his new home.
Comeau playing as well as expected.
Skille being a stud (for a PTO)
McLeod playing surprisingly well.
Holden not being as bad as some predicted.
Redmond coming back up as a serviceable NHL 3rd pair D (so far).
Landeskog being solid in both ends.
Iggy still being able to score.
Pickard giving us confidence for life after Varly.
Varly hopefully coming back as himself.
Berra doing a hell of a job filling in.
Barrie putting up points.
Martinsen not looking totally out of place on an NHL roster.
Bigras, et al for the future.

And last, but not least. Guenin still eating nachos despite injuries and team struggles.

For the week, sweep!

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Roy on the radio:
- Last game, he was very proud. When you start 3-0 and lose three in a row, confidence takes a hit. It was most important game of road trip in division. It should be good for their confidence. They were outmatched in Washington. They didn't play very well that night. Overall, it was a good trip for them.
- He thinks the opening game is still in their head, regarding home record. Hopes the road trip brings confidence to them at home. They need to be better at home. A lot of teams let down after big road trip and he doesn't want that. They need a good start as Ottawa played last night.
- he's not saying they're thinking about Minnesota, it's just effecting them still. He went over every home game. He wants to change the culture and mindset.
- He thinks it's clicking that guys need to go to the net. Now they start scoring dirty goals and it will become contagious.
- He thinks Duchene has figured it out. Since they put him on the wing, night after night they're dominating possession with that line. He's around the net a lot. If someone is capable of doing it, it's Duchene. MacKinnon is skating and playing intense. He's making great plays and any winger will benefit from that. Landy protected it well and took it to the net. It's the present and future of the Avs, and he has no intention of changing that line. Matt, Nate, and Landy have special hands and can do things others can't.
- Mario Lemieux had best set of hands he ever saw.

- Thought Varly played really well. Health wise, he was perfect as they took their time. They wanted to make sure he was working with Allaire before getting out there. Berra played some good games, last few were so so. He's been giving them good games. Now they need Varly to be the best player on the team. Team is built around Varly and he needs to help the defense. Early in the season he thought pucks were going through Varly. It happens. They didn't play as well in front of him either.
- he thought against Winnipeg they had a good start. Winnipeg put more motion in their offense and that's when they struggled. Varly kept them in that game. He likes how they haven't given up in these games.
- Roy said he didn't say bigger nets, he wants smaller goal posts. Goalies are bigger than ever. Nothing wrong with smaller posts which means posts could be goals. If NHL really wants more goals, he wouldn't change size of net. He doesn't say smaller equipment. Protection should always be part of the game. Best way is smaller posts.
- He put goalie pads with gloves on once on road trip, getting ready for alumni game.
- He's very impressed with Ottawa. They're a fast team, with four solid lines. Their Special teams are on fire. Goalie is playing well.

They didn't ask any fan questions. What a joke.

Last edited:

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I expect Roy to put out a 200% effort in the alumni game.

He should fight Osgood, really. Have him think it's a gag and just beat the **** out of him. :sarcasm:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_29170756/barrie-holden-solidifying-role-avs-no-2-defensive?source=rss

Holden was described as being smart, mobile, and capable of starting a break out in that article. Not sure if it was said with a straight face or not. He actually hasn't been terrible this season but he still ain't that.

Yeah he definitely isn't that lol. Although, shockingly, if I was to list off bright spots this season, Nick Holden would be one of them.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Well it was written by Frei who probably hasn't watch any of the games anyway.

It was Roy and Barrie who said it. :laugh:

Holden hasn't been one of the problems this season. I'll give him that. I don't like defensemen who are slow and poor at moving the puck though so I still can't compliment him too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad