Pre-Game Talk: Week of the Return (CHI, DAL, WPG)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Hmm...the Avs Twitter account is RT'ing stuff from Varlamov's trial.

Particularly someone tweeting Varly's Agent, Paul Theofanous' account of hearing the Ex while he was on the phone w/ Varly saying, "Open this f****g door! If you don't open this door, you will spend the night in jail."

@TV

Who did the Rampage call-up?

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Hmm...the Avs Twitter account is RT'ing stuff from Varlamov's trial.

Particularly someone tweeting Varly's Agent, Paul Theofanous' account of hearing the Ex while he was on the phone w/ Varly saying, "Open this f****g door! If you don't open this door, you will spend the night in jail."

@TV

Who did the Rampage call-up?
That's not the Avs account, it's the DP account which just happens to go by Colorado Avalanche.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
That analytic thread on the main board is cringe-worthy.

Not because it brings a negative aspect on the Avs, but more in terms of certain posters truly believe in what they're saying. That's the sad part.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Not because it brings a negative aspect on the Avs, but more in terms of certain posters truly believe in what they're saying. That's the sad part.

You can't convince them. As CGF and Ivan pointed out, we're now going on almost 3 seasons of the Avs outperforming their "advanced stats" numbers, yet people still claim small sample size and the Avs will suck very soon.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

Yep... the stats are a tool, but not the only tool. Too many are using them as their only tool of evaluation. If you look at just the pure stats... Gardiner is a solid top pairing D that has good defensive stats. If you watch more than a few minutes of the Leafs, you clearly see a lot of that isn't true (coming from a person that doesn't actually mind Gardiner as a player).

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
avs PDO 5on5 during roy era is 101.4. which isn't unprecedented for 3 yr period.

ducks did it 12-15.
bruins 11-14 (and 10-13).
nucks and caps for 09-12.

all but caps were actually 101.5 or 101.6

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Yep... the stats are a tool, but not the only tool. Too many are using them as their only tool of evaluation. If you look at just the pure stats... Gardiner is a solid top pairing D that has good defensive stats. If you watch more than a few minutes of the Leafs, you clearly see a lot of that isn't true (coming from a person that doesn't actually mind Gardiner as a player).

Stats are tools and should be used accordingly, just as any other tool. Some of the people posting in that thread could be called tools as well.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
You can't convince them. As CGF and Ivan pointed out, we're now going on almost 3 seasons of the Avs outperforming their "advanced stats" numbers, yet people still claim small sample size and the Avs will suck very soon.

as an objective measurement its not a fault with the stats but those who project what they mean..
For instance I too could create a subjective value... for instance my value is on quick play...lets say how quickly you go from having the puck to shooting on net.. call its a very advanced stat.. and guess what.. it certainly favors the Avs as one of the top teams in hockey.. remember its about the VALUES the people who interpret the stats have.. that is why they are so self right-eous.. they are right but very very wrong...

Go Avs... the worst corsi team to ever win .. etc etc

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Advance stats is like country music for me. I don't hate it per say, but I don't care enough about it to actually get into it. The posters are also a major deterrent for me to want to get into it as well. The only advance stats I ever pay attention to are the ones that posters post here like IC, Robin, Freudian, etc., do.

Good post Freeboy, I would like to add that I don't disagree that Avs SHOULD improve their possession numbers. No 30th place team will ever win the Cup IMO, but they have flawed logic. They think Avs as an organization should have meetings, implement ideas, and change culture ideology to improve their analytic number, when in actuality, more talented personnel will be the way in which they improve their numbers.

Personally I don't care about any advance team stats, but I do like the individual stats showing 1st line material, 2nd line material, and so forth. But of course it has to come with an eye test. As you said Hench, Gardiner has amazing top line stats, but with an eye test, you know he's nothing more than a solid #4. Though a player I would like on the Avs, more than Weircoch or Cowen IMO. While Avs have the worst corsi and possession stats, but yet have the best ROW number from any team they're battling. It shows that you NEED both aspects to create a persuasive and accurate opinion, because numbers alone are flawed IMO.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
There are two things I want from advanced stats... an accurate shot quality metric and puck on stick possession time. I don't fully buy into Corsi directly equating to puck on stick possession. Some teams are much quicker to pull the trigger than others.

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
plz Roy:

Grigorenko - MacKinnon - Duchene
Landeskog - Soderberg - Rantanen
McLeod - Mitchell - Skille
Tanguay - Wagner - Iginla

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
There are two things I want from advanced stats... an accurate shot quality metric and puck on stick possession time. I don't fully buy into Corsi directly equating to puck on stick possession. Some teams are much quicker to pull the trigger than others.

my understanding is that corsi was slightly better predictor that actual puck possession time (some company measured and measures this) last season. per jets blogger who also posts here on HF. i trust him.

but being the best of poor predictors doesn't say much. and i'd still like to see the actual puck possession time.

i also don't buy that corsi is directly equal to puck possession.

not sure if you saw it but i posted some stuff on the advanced stats thread re: shot quality metric. it's not accurate yet but it can get there.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
Is Varly practicing an indicator he'll be available tomorrow night?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It'll be curious to me to see what Roy does with Iginla. I think we can all agree that the Jarome Iginla we saw vs the Kings was not the Jarome Iginla we've had for the last year and a half.

I can't remember who posted it, but someone said (vaguely transcribing) that "Iginla looks like a player who has played the last month with 4th line scrubs and never wants to go back." Who knows, maybe this past month of 4th line minutes is the kick in the pants he needed to wake up and try harder. All I know is what I saw vs the Kings, and what I saw was a version of Jarome Iginla I haven't seen since 2010-2011

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
For me I don't think there's any place or need to use stats to predict. Stats are to explain what has happened. It's a complex game with a lot of moving parts, there's no predictability. Obviously if past events don't change similar results should be expected but in no way does that mean it's a predictor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad