Pre-Game Talk: Week of Return of the MacK (@TOR, @MTL, @OTT)

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
By that logic, they've been due for a while now...or does a team only become "due" after their 8th consecutive loss? Lol all jokes aside, this is a game we should easily win.
They just fired their coach last night and tonight they are playing against a rookie goalie. That new coach bump is a real thing and the Flyers should feed off the fact they don't have to deal with AV anymore. Nothing about this game will be easy unless the Avs play the way they are capable of playing which has rarely been seen this season.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'd be fine with MacDermid as our 12th forward, just don't play him on defense.

This is Leafs vs Jets yesterday...it's OK to have someone to send on the ice when stuff like this happens.

Reactions: Shinjuku Calling

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'd be fine with MacDermid as our 12th forward, just don't play him on defense.

This is Leafs vs Jets yesterday...it's OK to have someone to send on the ice when stuff like this happens.

I'm not fine at all with MacDermid on this roster. Even as a forward he is an insane liability defensively. There's literally no way to properly shelter him. He's the worst player in the NHL right now.

And if the Avs sent him out to try and clean up the nonsense going on in that game I doubt anything would have deterred the Jets at all. Because that's a myth, and always has been.

Reactions: The Moops

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'm not fine at all with MacDermid on this roster. Even as a forward he is an insane liability defensively. There's literally no way to properly shelter him. He's the worst player in the NHL right now.

And if the Avs sent him out to try and clean up the nonsense going on in that game I doubt anything would have deterred the Jets at all. Because that's a myth, and always has been.

When the Leafs sent the goons at the end, you'd rather see them going after Macdermid than Kadri, EJ or even Girard. That's the point and that's why Sakic wanted a guy like him.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Simmonds and Clifford.

Pfffffttt...meh, if those guys are goons, then so is Patrik Nemeth.

I get those two are there for "grit" purposes and Simmonds kinda knows he has to throw down, but those guys are not IMO goons.

Plus, there is no lacking of toughness on Winnipeg's roster and nothing got "cleaned up" once Toronto started icing their "goon squad." It just got worse. It's ultimately the refs' job to keep a game from getting out of hand, and they failed miserably last night.

Reactions: McMetal

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Avs.png

So I posted a similar chart not that long ago, this pretty much paints the picture we're seeing out there on the ice. Avs are scoring in bunches, their defense has been good, but not great, but the goaltending has just been imploding. Also, their penalty kill, despite the HUGE jump in shorthanded goals, sucks.

But another concerning note, the Avs are below average in xGF, which more or less means they're riding some very high and unsustainable shooting percentages right now. They're also doing a lousy job of scoring the greasy goals, which is not surprising given the fact that two guys they got over the past two years to try and mitigate that weakness (Saad and Donskoi) are now gone. We can see this as a problem when they play a team with actual defensive ability and/or goaltending, they fall back into a very ineffective perimeter offense.

Pouncing on and capitalizing on rebounds is as important a skill as any in this league, and the Avs don't seem to put a huge premium on it. The goaltending and defensive issues are more pressing, but if they don't figure out how to score dirty goals, I won't be surprised if they find themselves out after the first or second round again.

Reactions: McMetal

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Pfffffttt...meh, if those guys are goons, then so is Patrik Nemeth.

I get those two are there for "grit" purposes and Simmonds kinda knows he has to throw down, but those guys are not IMO goons.

Plus, there is no lacking of toughness on Winnipeg's roster and nothing got "cleaned up" once Toronto started icing their "goon squad." It just got worse. It's ultimately the refs' job to keep a game from getting out of hand, and they failed miserably last night.

Relying on referees to save your players would be much less effective than relying on intimidation. Refs aren't even paying attention like 50% of the time.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Relying on referees to save your players would be much less effective than relying on intimidation. Refs aren't even paying attention like 50% of the time.
That's like relying on the principal to stop school bullies.

"Just ignore them"

Reactions: Foppa2118

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Getting a goon who can’t play just makes it so you lose the game. There’s no real solution out there unless you got Corey Perry or Tom Wilson, two “goons” who absolutely can play.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Getting a goon who can’t play just makes it so you lose the game. There’s no real solution out there unless you got Corey Perry or Tom Wilson, two “goons” who absolutely can play.

Getting a goon who can't play isn't the only solution. Someone should tell Joe Sakic though.

Also I don't really consider Perry or Wilson goons per se. They're both dirty cheap shot artists but they're not really goon enforcers.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Getting a goon who can't play isn't the only solution. Someone should tell Joe Sakic though.

Also I don't really consider Perry or Wilson goons per se. They're both dirty cheap shot artists but they're not really goon enforcers.

Frankly I think “dirty cheap shot artists” is more or less what goons are anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad