Pre-Game Talk: Week of Resolutions (VGK) (@VAN) (@EDM)

What are your 2023 resolutions?

• Total voters

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Screenshot_20230105_192549_Twitter.jpg

😂

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Are they talking about Bedard in that huddle?

MacK: "ok boys, we have a chance at drafting a franchise center, let's not screw this up"
He plays the wing on his junior team and I think that's what he will be

Think an even smaller Marner with a better shot and worse skating

Reactions: the_fan

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I mean I get why they chose Makar. Reigning Norris and Conn Smythe winner, and he's having a good year. But should've been Rantanen if you want to pick an MVP from this team this season.
I’m 100% positive the other reason they chose Makar is because they figure the snub will drive up fan interest and voting.

He plays the wing on his junior team and I think that's what he will be

Think an even smaller Marner with a better shot and worse skating
Crosby played wing on his junior team too.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
I’m 100% positive the other reason they chose Makar is because they figure the snub will drive up fan interest and voting.

Crosby played wing on his junior team too.
He isn't Crosby , he's more Caulfield Marner if he plans out

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
"I see that Toews and Makar are averaging 28 minutes a game and are struggling. Perhaps if we crank that up to 30 minutes that'll help them!"
The problem though is the alternative is worse. Makar and Toews struggling are still better than Englund, Hunt, and MacDermid when they are playing well, which is also not the case.

Everyone up and down the lineup is struggling.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The problem though is the alternative is worse. Makar and Toews struggling are still better than Englund, Hunt, and MacDermid when they are playing well, which is also not the case.

Everyone up and down the lineup is struggling.
So losing because Englund is not as good is worse than losing because Toews is dead tired? How?

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
So losing because Englund is not as good is worse than losing because Toews is dead tired? How?
Because for the most part we are still in these games and have an opportunity to win. All it takes is one deflection or moment of luck for a puck to go in to tie up or win a game, and you're more likely to get some offense from Toews or Makar than Englund, and you're also less likely to leak a goal with them on the ice. Englund is a complete offensive blackhole. Toews and Makar at least give you a chance.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Because for the most part we are still in these games and have an opportunity to win. All it takes is one deflection or moment of luck for a puck to go in to tie up or win a game, and you're more likely to get some offense from Toews or Makar than Englund, and you're also less likely to leak a goal with them on the ice. Englund is a complete offensive blackhole. Toews and Makar at least give you a chance.
But if Toews isn't as tired, perhaps he scores more goals and then you win more games. That's the point.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
But if Toews isn't as tired, perhaps he scores more goals and then you win more games. That's the point.
Sure I get that, but he has to be on the ice to contribute. Its a vicious circle, if the depth was pulling their weight then Toews could play less and may be more productive, but you have to ice your best players in key moments and we've been playing a lot of catch up hockey recently. I dont disagree the top guys are being over played, I just don't see a viable alternative if you want to turn this slump around and try and win. You need the best players on the ice. I don't want to see Englund or Hunt on the ice in the third period when we're down a goal.

Edit: Because our depth sucks right now we don't have the luxury to ice them and give the top boys a rest.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
I just realized that, lately, I wasn't paying attention to details that help the team win. So I shaved my balls today and expect much better on ice results in the coming days.
Sounds legit. The fortunes will turn immediately.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Bedsy is running Makar, Toewser, Mikko, and Mack into the ground.
Getting them in shape will pay off if they make the playoffs. These guys are young. The more you work the more stamina and work you can do.

Play Makar and Toews 30 mins. In fact trade Toews and get something now. He is bad defensively and will want too much dough. He's become seriously overated.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
"I see that Toews and Makar are averaging 28 minutes a game and are struggling. Perhaps if we crank that up to 30 minutes that'll help them!"
One more time: Who else is there?

He isn't Crosby , he's more Caulfield Marner if he plans out
Again this is coming from the guy who would trade Cale Makar for Rasmus Dahlin, so I’ll take your talent evaluation skills with the Great Salt Lake.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021

Again this is coming from the guy who would trade Cale Makar for Rasmus Dahlin, so I’ll take your talent evaluation skills with the Great Salt Lake.
I was a proponent of Kakko and Lafreniere busting. , Bedard will not be what all the ridiculous hype to sell tickets for hockey Canada.

Hes a crafty smallish winger who is an average skater, and that's being generous. Small frail and weak.

If ue turns unto a Xaykfield or Marner I'd be shocked.

He did nothing against the Czechs in the gold medal game.

I wouldn't want that 1st pick , I'd take any of Fantilli , Carlsson, Mitchkov or Sale ahead of him.

Again Mitch .Marner doesn't impress me much and I don't believe Bedaed will reach that level

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Play the 3rd pairing more ffs, who care if they suck (and quite frankly, they don't suck much more than the 3rd pairings on other teams).

Right now we are losing AND burning out the best players. How are we supposed to win if the best players can't be good because they are tired?

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Play the 3rd pairing more ffs, who care if they suck (and quite frankly, they don't suck much more than the 3rd pairings on other teams).

Right now we are losing AND burning out the best players. How are we supposed to win if the best players can't be good because they are tired?
Not true.

Brad Hunt

Over the last five games, Hunt’s highest time on ice is 13:01. Despite that limitation, tonight was the third time he’s been called for a penalty in those games. I mentioned above that one of them was in an attempt to bail out Cogliano and was probably a smart move given Cogliano’s role on the penalty kill, but it’s become a pattern recently.

In the two games Hunt hasn’t been penalized, he’s been on the ice for three goals against.

Tonight was another penalty despite playing just 9:09. That is far too much negative action on the ice when you’re playing as little as Hunt is.

I get people like Hunt, I like him too to an extent. Dude is putting forth as good an effort as can be expected for a guy who's something like 9/10 on the defensive depth chart. But he's transcendently bad even in a heavily sheltered situation. Expand his minutes and you're tanking the season.

The thing that's killing them though is not the third pairing, it's the SECOND pairing. Sammy is making too many mistakes and EJ just cannot cover for those and his own. He got outskated AND outmuscled by Pettersson on that GTG.

There is no option right now if the object is to win hockey games. What depth players they have are either not NHL-caliber or severely underachieving.

Reactions: dahrougem2

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I just realized that, lately, I wasn't paying attention to details that help the team win. So I shaved my balls today and expect much better on ice results in the coming days.
Finally someone’s putting their balls on the table.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Finally someone’s putting their balls on the table.
Hey, how do you know he shaves them on a table? Maybe he shaves them over the sink, on a chopping board, next to a bandsaw, on a bird house, inside the pantry, or freeballs it. Does anyone really know enough about Metallo to make assertions as to how he would shave his nuts?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Hey, how do you know he shaves them on a table? Maybe he shaves them over the sink, on a chopping board, next to a bandsaw, on a bird house, inside the pantry, or freeballs it. Does anyone really know enough about Metallo to make assertions as to how he would shave his nuts?
You know. I can’t argue any of this.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Against the Oilers I would like to see them try

Cogliano - MacKinnon - O'Connor
Lehkonen - Compher - Rantanen

For a stretch a few years ago MacKinnon made shit happen with Calvert and Donskoi as his wingers. Admittedly I think both of those guys have more skill than Cogliano/O'Connor but at least switch SOMETHING up mired in a 5 game losing streak. If the Lehkonen - MacKinnon - Rantanen line gets shut down our team gets eaten alive.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Not true.

I get people like Hunt, I like him too to an extent. Dude is putting forth as good an effort as can be expected for a guy who's something like 9/10 on the defensive depth chart. But he's transcendently bad even in a heavily sheltered situation. Expand his minutes and you're tanking the season.

The thing that's killing them though is not the third pairing, it's the SECOND pairing. Sammy is making too many mistakes and EJ just cannot cover for those and his own. He got outskated AND outmuscled by Pettersson on that GTG.

There is no option right now if the object is to win hockey games. What depth players they have are either not NHL-caliber or severely underachieving.

MacDonald picked a real bad year to start to suck at that level.

G and EJ would be our 3rd pairing if Manson and Byram weren't hurt. That being said, losing and not burning out your players > losing and burning out your players.

Hunt can get better and stop taking penalties (not impossible) but Toews and Makar can't recover if you keep overplaying them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad