Pre-Game Talk: Week of Regrets (EDM, @SJ, @ANH, @LA)

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
How many of the losses were by more than 1 goal (not counting ENGs). I'd be willing to bet it's only 2 or 3 outside of the one big blow out by Minny and the December whipping by Winnipeg. Sure a loss is a loss. But at 1 goal, you never know who gets the bounce.

You make it sound like we got trounced in every one of our losses inside of the division.

Or, you know which team is built right, and which one has a ways to go. Guess which one we are? Hint, all the rest besides Dallas are going to the playoffs this year and it's not just because they got bounces.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Roy is turning into Therrien. Publically calling out a player like that is a stupid move.

I also don't think it was a bad pick since Hishon produced after being drafted. There's no way anyone could have predicted the injuries. It seems like Roy thinks larger means less injury prone and as such the team should draft based on size. He's the most flagrant size queen I've seen on the Avs in a while. And yet players like Siemens also got injured. So I'm not sure what Roy was thinking in that interview. Clearly there will be a drafting shift to larger players, but for no logical reason.

I'm going to take a stab and say you didn't listen to the interview because I have no idea how you got any of that out of it.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I'm going to take a stab and say you didn't listen to the interview because I have no idea how you got any of that out of it.

I just read TMV's summary.

"He's said before he questions the way they've been drafting, and that's why they fired the chief scout and the vision. He said two weeks ago they've been drafting the same types of players every time. They have Duchene/O'Reilly in the middle, and then draft 5'10" Joey Hishon. He loves HIshon, he's a great kid, but maybe they should have drafted a bigger player."

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
How many of the losses were by more than 1 goal (not counting ENGs). I'd be willing to bet it's only 2 or 3 outside of the one big blow out by Minny and the December whipping by Winnipeg. Sure a loss is a loss. But at 1 goal, you never know who gets the bounce.

You make it sound like we got trounced in every one of our losses inside of the division.

Here's every loss to Min, Wpg, Nsh, and Stl.

Thu Oct 9 - Col (0) - Min (5)
Sat Oct 11 - Col (0) - Min (3)
Sun Oct 26 - Col (1) - Wpg (2) OT
Sat Nov 1 - Col (2) - Stl (3) SO
Thu Dec 5 - Col (2) - Wpg (6)
Tue Dec 9 - Col (0) - Nsh (3)
Thu Dec 11 - Col (3) - Wpg (4) SO
Sat Dec 13 - Col (2) - Stl (3) OT
Mon Dec 29 - Col (0) - Stl (3)
Mon Jan 19 - Col (1) - Stl (3)
Tue Jan 27 - Col (3) - Nsh(4) OT
Sat Feb 7 - Col (0) - Min (1)
Sun Feb 8 - Col (3) - Wpg (5)
Tue Feb 24 - Col (2) - Nsh (5)
Sat Feb 28 - Col (1) - Min (3)

5 one goal games out of 15
5 shutouts
20 goals scored vs 53 goals against

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
The problem for much of the season was no offense, and since we know the forwards are talented I pin the issue squarely on the D not being able to get the puck out of the zone, up the ice, and kept in the offensive zone. If we could just get some competent, cheap defensemen on the left side in addition to one big signing, then that would help the team tremendously. I'm thinking the draft pick we get will be a defenseman (Provorov maybe) and either he or Bigras will make the team.

Ehrhoff-EJ
Bigras/Draftee-Barrie
Holden-Stuart

If you're comparing Avs of this season to last, Avs had a lot of luck last season including a very high team-wide shooting percentage. But more than that, Avs had more depth up front and for whatever reason moved the puck better. Chemistry maybe. Stastny was a small part of it though.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I just read TMV's summary.

"He's said before he questions the way they've been drafting, and that's why they fired the chief scout and the vision. He said two weeks ago they've been drafting the same types of players every time. They have Duchene/O'Reilly in the middle, and then draft 5'10" Joey Hishon. He loves HIshon, he's a great kid, but maybe they should have drafted a bigger player."

Listen to the interview.

He actually threw Cliche under the bus much more last week.

Avs had a lot of luck last season including a very high team-wide shooting percentage

Avs went from 8.80 team shooting % 5on5 to 8.76 this season. PP is a different story but we know that.

Last edited:

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Listen to the interview.

That's great to hear about Cliche. Hopefully Guenin's next. I expect Roy to be almost in tears talking about Guenin playing poorly. He loves that brickhead so damn much.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Here's every loss to Min, Wpg, Nsh, and Stl.

Thu Oct 9 - Col (0) - Min (5)
Sat Oct 11 - Col (0) - Min (3)
Sun Oct 26 - Col (1) - Wpg (2) OT
Sat Nov 1 - Col (2) - Stl (3) SO
Thu Dec 5 - Col (2) - Wpg (6)
Tue Dec 9 - Col (0) - Nsh (3)
Thu Dec 11 - Col (3) - Wpg (4) SO
Sat Dec 13 - Col (2) - Stl (3) OT
Mon Dec 29 - Col (0) - Stl (3)
Mon Jan 19 - Col (1) - Stl (3)
Tue Jan 27 - Col (3) - Nsh(4) OT
Sat Feb 7 - Col (0) - Min (1)
Sun Feb 8 - Col (3) - Wpg (5)
Tue Feb 24 - Col (2) - Nsh (5)
Sat Feb 28 - Col (1) - Min (3)

5 one goal games out of 15
5 shutouts
20 goals scored vs 53 goals against

I'm sure there were ENG's in there that aren't accounted for in just the straight 1 goal games.

What we're looking at is more evidence that the PP hurt this team quite badly all year. How many games were there where momentum could have been changed with a PP goal?

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Really? You think having Bordy or McGinn in the lineup changes things that much? We somehow manage to not get destroyed by the Wild, Jets, or Blues? I don't see it, but whatever.

Of course losing Stastny hurt big time. But we also lost ~20 goals and ~45 points from McGinn + Bordeleau being out. Plus the physicality and intimidation factor.

Imagine if even 20% of our losses we added one goal from one of those guys. One goal might be difference in adding 6-10 points to our season. Which is playoff spitting distance.

Tack of Varlamov's injuries losing us points too. And EJ's.

While this term stunk it up big time, they also fought back hard to get back in the race and any number of fixes could have changed the season outcome. Even if they kept playing poorly, removing 1 or 2 of the injuries we faced this year might be the difference maker. McGinn, Bordeleau and Winchester out for the season (basically). EJ half a season, Varlamov around a quarter of a season...

It adds up.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
People seem to forget that Stastny was swapped for Iginla. Iginla puts up more points. I know he's a mess in other areas of the game but it was offense that destroyed the team this year and the loss of Stastny for Iginla was not the cause of that at all. It was a combination of lack of depth to call up when players were injured and the worst defense in the league. I don't blame injuries because the Avs starting playing better after getting injured. Losing McGinn and Winchester hurt a bit but these types of injuries to bottom 6ers should not cripple a team. Avs need more depth.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
People seem to forget that Stastny was swapped for Iginla. Iginla puts up more points. I know he's a mess in other areas of the game but it was offense that destroyed the team this year and the loss of Stastny for Iginla was not the cause of that at all. It was a combination of lack of depth to call up when players were injured and the worst defense in the league. I don't blame injuries because the Avs starting playing better after getting injured. Losing McGinn and Winchester hurt a bit but these types of injuries to bottom 6ers should not cripple a team. Avs need more depth.

That's a fair point, but it seems like cyclical logic to me.

Avs are injured, call up players. Called up players provide no offense, injuries are still primary cause of lack of production as call-ups provide no relief from that.

The top 6 carried the offense, not the call-ups or depth players. Not to discredit Cliche's goal.

Yes, the Avs need a better defense, better depth, better luck and to come into camp/the season with better conditioning. But if everything was the same this year except for a slightly more favorable injury situation we might be playoff bound. That's how close we've come despite what appears to be a season where much of went wrong that could, did.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
That's a fair point, but it seems like cyclical logic to me.

Avs are injured, call up players. Called up players provide no offense, injuries are still primary cause of lack of production as call-ups provide no relief from that.

The top 6 carried the offense, not the call-ups or depth players. Not to discredit Cliche's goal.

Yes, the Avs need a better defense, better depth, better luck and to come into camp/the season with better conditioning. But if everything was the same this year except for a slightly more favorable injury situation we might be playoff bound. That's how close we've come despite what appears to be a season where much of went wrong that could, did.

I understand the idea that injuries to the bottom 6ers are an important cause of the poor play this season and that that's the root cause for that issue, not the lack of call up options. But like I said injuries to bottom 6ers should never cripple a team. It just so happens Avs have terrible prospects and no call up options, unlike many good teams. Most teams have that bandaid option; Avs don't.

Also, when I said "injuries are not to blame" I mostly meant losing Varly, Mack, and EJ. Avs' record without them has been pretty good (except Varly but Picks played well) The poor start to the season is what hurt the Avs, and that's a result of bad D, bad depth, and bad chemistry, in that order.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
I'm sure there were ENG's in there that aren't accounted for in just the straight 1 goal games.

What we're looking at is more evidence that the PP hurt this team quite badly all year. How many games were there where momentum could have been changed with a PP goal?
That's what I was trying to get at. Take the ENGs out and we likely had more games decided by a single goal than we didn't.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-ovechkin-hating-2010/
11. Patrick Roy, when asked if the Avalanche can keep Ryan O’Reilly long-term: “I will be very disappointed if that doesn’t happen, but I understand the business. Does he want to play in Colorado or test the market? That is his decision. He knows how I feel and how much we want him. I understand that is a tough call…I had the chance to leave Denver late in my career but I stayed because it was best for my family.â€

Roy likes O’Reilly and Gabriel Landeskog together.

“They have good chemistry and understand each other. It is fun for a centre to have a winger like this, know you can put the puck on that side and (Landeskog) will get it first.â€

12. Similar quotes came from Roy on Tyson Barrie, and from Dave Cameron regarding Erik Karlsson. “Do I have rules for Tyson?†the Colorado coach asked. “Yes: ‘Go!’ It is the best way for him to learn.â€

Roy did add Barrie’s really improved at game management.

“Are we up by one goal? Is it time to force, or not force? What point of the game is it?â€

And finally: “I like when he’s moving the puck north-south, not east-west. It’s not as crazy.I know he’s on top of his game.â€

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Listen to the interview.

Avs went from 8.80 team shooting % 5on5 to 8.76 this season. PP is a different story but we know that.

I totally forgot about that. Went on and on about how Cliche is playing too much because of injuries and he should be the 13th guy. Now that's criticizing a player, unlike saying someone else might be a better fit with our current personnel. That's straight up saying he isn't good enough.

Yet, nobody cared about that. Funny how that works.

SuperJoe

Feb 24, 2010
Royal City
That's what I was trying to get at. Take the ENGs out and we likely had more games decided by a single goal than we didn't.

Scoring is at its lowest in the NHL so for sure there will be a lot of one goal games, but the better team often get on the right side of them, the eye test reveals that the Avs have played poorly this year, especially before January.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
11. Patrick Roy, when asked if the Avalanche can keep Ryan O’Reilly long-term:

“I will be very disappointed if that doesn’t happen, but I understand the business. Does he want to play in Colorado or test the market? That is his decision."

Why does that sound so familiar….?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Why does that sound so familiar….?

So I'm not the only one who had Stastny flashbacks. Just hope the end result will be different and honestly, I think it will be. He signs or he's gone this summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad