Pre-Game Talk: Week of Nate? (MTL, @WPG, EDM)

How Many Games Will Mackinnon Play This Week?

• Total voters

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I don't think the Avs have been railroaded ever since MacKinnon has been out, I think it needs to be broken down better than that. Like Buffalo, for instance, they pretty much had their way with the Sabres, near as I recall, until the 3rd. Then they rebooted in Safe Mode and it nearly went awry. They also did very well in the Edmonton game until the same thing happened.

Conversely, even during the 10-game winning streak the Avs would sometimes put together 2 periods (sometimes even just 1) of good hockey and then get shot-clocked into oblivion.

But yes, this team is hurting on a variety of levels, getting MacK back is a big deal, but I'm really hoping Sven and Barbs are not gonna end the season on IR.

Yeah this is pretty accurate.

I mean, yes the Avs have been absolutely dominated a few times since Mack went down. The two games against the Sharks, and the game against St. Louis were examples of that. I wouldn't even put the game against Winnipeg last night in this category though. Yeah we lost big but I dont think the game itself was nearly an indicator of the score. Especially when you look at the fact Bernie clearly got a concussion from that collision last night and allowed 3 goals in like 6 minutes right after that(Or something like this, not sure the exact numbers). Followed by the Buff incident right after. That game was over at that point.

But a lot of our games over this stretch we've outplayed the other team through the first two periods, and then with leads in the 3rd period have just had bad 3rd periods. It happened against Edmonton, Montreal, Vancouver, and Buffalo.

That doesn't mean we had bad games though. If we win 2 out of 3 periods, that's being the better team in the game.

We need to be better still, can be better, and have to be better if we want to make playoffs. But it hasn't been all doom and gloom for 15 straight games. Not by a long shot.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
We can get into the exact differences in their skillsets that manifest this, but long story short: Barrie is special because he causes chaos in the opposition's structure against the puck; Girard is special because of the calmness he gives our structure with it. The former is perfect for racing up n down the ice 5on5; the latter is better for calmly slinging the puck around one third of the ice.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Good news is MacKinnon's back tomorrow.

Bad news is they recalled Hammond because Bernier is out with a head injury. It was clear he wasn't right as soon as he got hit. Concussion spotters need to do a better job of concussion spotting.

Other good news is Gigantor says Varly's been making good progress over these past three starts; and fortunately, he doesn't have to be Varlagod if we have our TalismacK back. So it really sucks for Bernier after the herculean effort he put in when Varly was out; but thankful it's looking like we just might be able to weather this injury as well & stay in the playoff race until ultimately missing out by the skin of our teeth...so that the lotto gods can still do us a solid for last year.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It's very possible if Mack can come back on fire and if Varly can play like he did against montreal. Also wondering what the lines will look like now.

Lando-Mack-Rantanen
Nieto-Soda-Comeau
Jost-Kerfoot-Compher
Greer-Toni-Wilson

I have to imagine Bednar would swap one of the kids with Wilson so that they have a little beef on their line...and a Greer-Toni/Kam-Compher 4th line could be awesome if Jost-Kerfoot-Wilson can chip in reliably with the softest minutes we can possibly give them.

...though if we wanna be realistic we have to include Gork. Cause we know that Bednar wouldn't scratch Gork before Greer or Toninato. So it will probably end up being: Greer - Compher* - Gork or Gork - Toni - Compher* as our 4th line.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
When Sea Eagles started posting less someone had to take over. (Miss you Eagles if you're reading this)

That and people going after my boys (Meloche n Greer) has forced me to slide into it by default :laugh:

Y'all have started to love Zads almost as much as me, so I don't have to worry about him. But I still spend way too much time on here preaching patience to the mobs that are all too ready to get their pitchforks out for any prospect that doesn't Mikko the AHL in their first pro-season or make the Avs.

In MacK's absence we went 4-4 no? I remember thinking when he got injured that going .500 without him would be okay. Somehow we are still in the thick of it. If Varly keeps his form we could be primed for a decent run again.

Preach!

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I have to imagine Bednar would swap one of the kids with Wilson so that they have a little beef on their line...and a Greer-Toni/Kam-Compher 4th line could be awesome if Jost-Kerfoot-Wilson can chip in reliably with the softest minutes we can possibly give them.

...though if we wanna be realistic we have to include Gork. Cause we know that Bednar wouldn't scratch Gork before Greer or Toninato. So it will probably end up being: Greer - Compher* - Gork or Gork - Toni - Compher* as our 4th line.

Can't believe I forgot Bork, he definitely deserves to be in the lineup. He's been our best player since Mack went down

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad